AstroBull21

2019 Minor/Indy/Summer Collegiate Baseball Changes

Oh god, the North Alabama/Huntsville Southern League team for 2020 released its top 10 name candidates

• Army Ants: Sound off! The Army’s Redstone Arsenal serves as a center for missile and national defense programs and employs more than 40,000 members of our community.
  • Comet Jockeys: “Rocket City” was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
  • GloWorms: GlowWorms are rare, tiny, bioluminescent creatures that call the caves at Dismals Canyon in North Alabama home, one of the few places in North Alabama!
  • Lunartics: We are home to some of the wildest mad scientists facing today’s challenges in space and technology. You’d have to be a “Lunartic” to do that!
  • Puffy Head Bird Legs: No joke! It’s lingo coined by our astronauts for body fluid moving from feet to head in outer space due to lack of gravity!
  • Space Chimps: A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space who is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center.
  • Moon Possums: A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family– just like going to a ballgame!
  • Space Sloths: A nod to NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, the Space Sloths is up there with classic Minor League Baseball names like IronPigs, Flying Squirrels, Chihuahuas and Jumbo Shrimp.
  • ThunderSharks: Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the Ultra-strong, sleek determination of the share and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with ThunderSharks.
  • Trash Pandas: (Slang for raccoon) Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined, and ingenious. A problem solver– dedicated to the challenge at hand– as our local raccoons!

https://whnt.com/2018/07/26/ballcorps-releases-top-10-list-of-madison-minor-league-baseball-team-names/ 

Puffy Head Bird Legs? Okay Now they are just making S**t up.

Lunartics or Trash Pandas are good. If they are the Trash Pandas they need to have an affiliation with the Tampa Bay Sea Flap Flaps

It's a lot of detail with eight hands there; I'd rather have a MB patch on the hats and shoulders than having to spell out the whole team name.

IMO it's also a little strange because it's not actually the language. Obviously, the hand drawings are used to teach ASL, but ASL speakers would read normal English letters just fine. It's a different situation than the Spokane Indians or various other-languaged crests.

I didn't really mind the Baby Cakes or Yard Goats or Jumbo Shrimp. But this latest batch is horrible. They're just putting random words together now. It has become a contest to see who can come up with the most ridiculous name.

Puffy Head Bird Legs??? Sounds like a name a class full of preschoolers threw together. These names get more and more off the wall, and not in a good way. 

Would a six word nickname be the longest in milb? ( Rocket City/ North Alabama, puffy head bird legs )

18 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Gloworms with a florescent color FTW!  I'd be a fan

I'd be ok with the other space names too.

Gee, I wonder why you, of all people, would support naming a team after something that glows...

They got to do Trash Pandas... it's probably the best choice of a rather crappy list (Puffy Head Bird Legs?!? How the hell do you make a mascot out of that name... or a logo even?)

On 7/27/2018 at 12:59 AM, Bmac said:

I didn't really mind the Baby Cakes or Yard Goats or Jumbo Shrimp. But this latest batch is horrible. They're just putting random words together now. It has become a contest to see who can come up with the most ridiculous name.

But that's only because all minor league teams are mandated by Untied States law to work with Brandlose.

Most of those are just awful. Trying way too hard to be clever.

To save you a click:

Army Ants
Sound off! The Army’s Redstone Arsenal serves as a center for missile and national defense programs and employs more than 40,000 members of our community.

Comet Jockeys
“Rocket City” was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.

GloWorms
GloWorms are rare tiny bioluminescent creatures that call the caves at Dismals Canyon in North Alabama home, one of few places in North America!

Lunartics
We are home to some of the wildest mad scientists facing today’s challenges in space and technology. You’d have to be a “Lunartic” to do that!

Moon Possums
A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family – just like going to ballgame!

Puffy Head Bird Legs
No joke! It’s lingo coined by our astronauts for body fluid moving from feet to head in outer space due to the lack of gravity!

Space Chimps
A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space. She is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.

Space Sloths
A nod to NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, the Space Sloths is up there with classic Minor League Baseball names like IronPigs, Flying Squirrels, Chihuahuas and Jumbo Shrimp.

ThunderSharks
Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the ultra-strong, sleek determination of the shark and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with our ThunderSharks.

Trash Pandas
(Slang for raccoon) Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined and ingenious a problem solver – dedicated to the challenge at hand – as our local raccoons!

1 hour ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Gee, I wonder why you, of all people, would support naming a team after something that glows...

? I have no idea

ThunderSharks is the only decent name on the list, and while I'd love to see logos for the Space Sloths and Puffy Head Bird Legs, seeing a ThunderShark would be incredible, if done right.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:54 AM, MC Buffalo said:

[...] a blank shirt with a little speaker embedded that continuously broadcast the word Pelicans, Pelicans, Pelicans.... [...]

That'll be the design for the blind awareness jersey. ?

I have to question a world where "IronPigs, Flying Squirrels, Chihuahuas, and Jumbo Shrimp" are now considered "Classic Minor League Team Names" by their contemporaries.