Old school --lower case, non-caps in branding

B-Rich

On 11/23/2018 at 8:44 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Thats great! I’d love to see more examples like this. 

Not the right forum for this, but Target recently opened a City Target across the street from NC State University on Hillsborough Street in a converted bowling alley. The bowling alley that was there used to be called "Western Lanes" and then "The Alley," and was  popular hangout for NC State students. While the exterior doesn't have quite the same aesthetic, Target paid homage to the bowling alley with some of the artwork throughout the store.

dtrnews-target-opens-on-hillsborough-str59d1cbca6bab8.image.jpg

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I was browsing American Needle’s NPB items just for fun and noticed the Sankei/Yakult Atoms had the old school lowercase going on in the 60’s-early 70’s:

15+BBM+MOU+Arakawa.jpeg

attachment.php?attachmentid=213214&stc=1

I’d only seen it for the first time last night, but I already love that identity. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The jersey wordmark isn’t surprising, since the Rays stole the design wholesale from the Padres’ old unis. 

rays-padres-throwback.jpg

I hate that whole exercise, because they decided to be derivative instead of trying to do their own take on 1970s experimentation (e.g., bold color arrangements, unique striping arrangements in different areas - like UCLA-style stripes, and going beyond Bauhaus/Eurostile-like fonts).

• 2 months later...

Bumping this because I went down a rabbit hole looking at designs of old baseball cards. It's not "team branding" per se, but the design of 1959 Topps struck me:

efe2a80db3e5f3286513ee9cc08a2190.jpg

I was familiar with this design, but didn't realize it was 1959! I found this interesting, as I (and I'm probably not the only one) associate the "lower case" fad with the '70s, maybe the late '60s. 

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

4 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Bumping this because I went down a rabbit hole looking at designs of old baseball cards. It's not "team branding" per se, but the design of 1959 Topps struck me:

efe2a80db3e5f3286513ee9cc08a2190.jpg

I was familiar with this design, but didn't realize it was 1959! I found this interesting, as I (and I'm probably not the only one) associate the "lower case" fad with the '70s, maybe the late '60s. 

Also (and outside the scope of this thread), how about that alternate version of the Yankees' top hat logo, with the circle and the script in blue instead of red?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived