Steelman

Torland Star League - A Fictional Baseball History: 1961 Season

On 12/2/2018 at 4:48 PM, Jack3Nimble said:

The Blackbirds look is by far the best one you have so far. It feels a little atypical for the time, so I don't feel like I'm just looking at an American logo, but it's also not crazy modern looking so I don't feel like it breaks the story. I love the mismatch of name and color; one, it looks great, but two, it incorporates the "shady but glitzy" mood you're clearly going for in Moriga into the look. Loving it--more so than the others, this one really feels like the logo tells a story.

12/10, A++

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I'm going for, or attempting to anyway. Finding a good starting place for a fictional league is much more difficult than I thought it'd be.

2sZPvcZ.png

Eight You're Great

New announcements today by TSL league commish Bo Gossett confirm the final city and owner selections for the 8-team league. It is unknown which other cities were in contention but better deals were not completed so the smaller city of Engor was awarded a franchise with Rupert Rocha who will call them the Flying Tigers and use the serviceable Memorial Expo Grounds (known as “the Meg”) as a home park. Gossett also talked about the league being organized into two unnamed divisions but said that talks were ongoing as a consensus hasn't been reached by the owners for an alignment. It is unknown if official divisions will exist by the beginning of regular season play. Several sportswriters are blasting Gossett for not being more forceful on the issue, stating that the fledgling league is losing an opportunity for rivalries and playoff matchups with divisional races.

San Ferrio Nails Down Their Style

N1lJPpR.png

The Tars employ a classic black and gold color scheme and play on the deep history of San Ferrio and the Iron Coast with ironworkers and sailors. The anchor-anvil tattoo is a classic mark in the area.

Quick Facts:

• City: San Ferrio, Maienzona
  • Nickname: Tars
  • Colors: Black, Gold
  • Owner: Jerry Brandenburg
  • Home: Hallcedony Park (Cap. 48k; Built: 1944; Field: Grass; Owned by Jerry Brandenburg; Nickname: "The Quarry")
  • Sponsor: Hallcedony Mining Corp.
  • Mascot: (none)

San Ferrio has an almost reverential mystique as the king of the Iron Coast, a city with a deep heritage of hard work and innovation. Historically, the main professions are the iron ore mines in the nearby foothills and canyons between the Zent and Capino rivers and the cargo ships in the vast shipping yards in the local sea ports. With a blue collar mentality, San Ferrio became known as a place where anyone could go and establish themselves if they worked hard enough. There's a unique feeling of tight-knit community and lack of an upper class despite big money tied up in some of the largest businesses in Torland. San Ferrio built its reputation on year-round work availability with men and even women known as "tars" who worked the iron ore mines and steel mills during the fall and winter and shipped out on cargo vessels during the spring and summer months. The tars are a special breed who are held in high regard in Torland, often given the same respect as those in the military or law enforcement. They have trade union chapters in many cities and are invested in community development. The owner of one of the largest mining companies in Torland, Hallcedony Mining Cop. (HAL-CEH-DONNY), Jerry Brandenburg is a former tar before he turned exclusively to the extraction side of the iron business, and even played baseball off an on in high school and college at the University of Maienzona. Brandenburg owns a baseball stadium on the north side of the city along the Zent River which is 16 years old but still in good condition. Hallecdony Park is known as the "The Quarry" due to it being part of a former retired rock quarry which created a natural bowl to build a baseball field within it. Brandenburg has a prestigious reputation but is also known to waste tons of money on projects instead of more organized, calculated approaches. It is hoped that his baseball experience and deep pockets will be an asset to the league.

Note: I purchased this graphic of a retro ironworker and modified it for this secondary logo as I thought it really fit what I was looking for on this one. Sort of my take on a White Sox-esque "Batterman" for this league.

One more team and then on to the draft and uniforms!

Noice.

2sZPvcZ.png

Who's Gonna Call The Shots?

Oracle is reporting that several clubs have made official hires to fill staff positions. Lenny Knox will coach the Waterdee Ducks and Wilson Gibbs is now at the helm for Cobantle. The Perna Whitecaps landed the fiery personality Doyle Holloway to fill their top coaching spot. The Maroons appear to have a deal in place with noted stone-face Ron Woolridge. In Moriga, the Blackbirds' search finalized with Van Buchanan being chosen over Warren Miller who was instead offered a contract by Engor. In Maienzona, both San Ferrio and San Estas took some extra time to decide on candidates, ultimately seeing Cliff Marshall heading to the Tars and John Dawson being chosen by the Seals.

The Best For Last?

MhWZ2Fx.png

The Flying Tigers choose orange and black as their flagship colors, paired with plenty of white and occasional Vegas gold.

Quick Facts:

• City: Engor, Cabriga Isles
  • Nickname: Flying Tigers
  • Colors: Orange, Black
  • Owner: Rupert Rocha
  • Home: Memorial Expo Grounds (Cap. 31k; Built: 1929; Field: Grass; Owned by City of Engor; Nickname: "The Meg")
  • Sponsor: Meltwater Financial
  • Mascot: Erwin the Tiger

Engor has always been a military outpost from the very beginning days of immigration to Torland. An old fort still stands on the hill just west of the Engor River overlooking the shallow ford that eventually turned into a city. Engor is a small community with a big reach due to the amount of pilots and airlines that call it home. Fort Woodward, so named for the original Flying Tiger (Torland's famed bomber squadron) Erwin "Ace" Woodward who was famous for his innovative air support tactics, is part of the massive Engor Air Base installation. The Flying Tigers were one of the few units to participate in the world wars, part of combined Allied forces on loan to the United States in the Pacific Theater. The "tiger" motif is prominent throughout the city and region. The city also houses a substantial rail yard and railroad facilities that service most of the north island. Outside the city, agriculture and small-scale ranching are the other primary industries. The northern part of the island is fertile but rarely green or vibrantly colored, which led to Engor being nicknamed "Dity City." The county's expo center, the Memorial Expo Grounds, (known as the "Meg") is the both the oldest and smallest facility in the league but has been well maintained for its age. New owner Rupert Rocha, originally from San Antoza, pushed hard to get a bid for a club in the fledgling league, choosing the smaller city of Engor with a ready-made facility despite no actual ties to the community to leapfrog some of the other bids for the eighth franchise who required too many variables to establish themselves. Rocha's salesmanship won over, selling Commissioner Gossett on Engor's tight community and rabid fan base potential. Rocha's deep pockets and affable personality aside, questions remain on the viability of a long-term club in Engor, especially with Rocha's ties to other cities and Engor being regarded something of a step-sibling to the bigger cities in Malvaton and Moriga. The actual residents for their part have been receptive and excited about bringing baseball to the area.

Just like a lot of your other concepts, the secondary mark makes a much better primary than the primary, a lot of your logos look similar; letter/script/cap logo in a roundel with city and team name. If your going for that monotony and repetition,then it looks okay, but when making new teams, I’d compile all your logos together and try and find a way to make it unique, I’d promote the secondary tiger logo to primary, but this time without a wordmark, to make it more different. But if you want it to be similar to today’s game where it’s mainly all letters. Then you do you

On 12/10/2018 at 7:40 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Just like a lot of your other concepts, the secondary mark makes a much better primary than the primary, a lot of your logos look similar; letter/script/cap logo in a roundel with city and team name. If your going for that monotony and repetition,then it looks okay, but when making new teams, I’d compile all your logos together and try and find a way to make it unique, I’d promote the secondary tiger logo to primary, but this time without a wordmark, to make it more different. But if you want it to be similar to today’s game where it’s mainly all letters. Then you do you

I appreciate your feedback! I wanted to create a base look for these original teams, so that is some of the repetitiveness. (even aside from my general too much love for roundels lol) I compared these looks with similar looks from MLB teams in the late 50's and early 60's and I think they're pretty close. Ditching the seal/roundel to alternate status gives these teams a place to go in this early stage of the league. But I'm taking your feedback into consideration, I've been doing more work on new looks and updates for moving forward.

Thank you all for your feedback so far! I really appreciate it as it helps me become a better designer and creator. I feel like I'm severely limited compared to some of the amazing designers on these boards but I love design and stories so I'm using this project as a way to keep moving forward in that. Thanks for following along.

Here's a handy map of our first eight teams teams!

CFib891.png

Up next is the draft which I'll go ahead post all the details now!

2sZPvcZ.png

1960 Inaugural Player Draft

The draft order was randomly generated:

1. San Ferrio

2. San Estas

3. Malvaton

4. Waterdee

5. Cobantle

6. Engor

7. Perna

8. Cabriga

The top shelf of the player pool available in the inaugural player draft is not short of talent but 1B George Howard (22) is considered far and away the best player available and only a monumental error of judgement could prevent San Ferrio from choosing him first. The next steps, however, are more cloudy. San Estas, in particular, with the second overall selection has their work cut out in decision- making to determine the course of their new club. Popular opinion is selecting the highest rated starting pitcher, Charley McLaurin (29) as a cornerstone. But some experts believe there is better value with 3B Pat McGuire (29) or outfielder Scott Salvatore (32). A few others are firm that young phenom reliever Rod Ramos (20) is the most talented out of the Not-George-Howard group but it may be difficult for a club to use their first-ever selection on a reliever.

Several teams are rumored to value immediate leadership and veteran presence over young star talent, including Waterdee, Malvaton, and Perna. Catcher Randy Hart (34) fits the bill as a concrete team captain a team can build around, along with still-capable shortstop Anderson Crouse (35). Both are thought of as future player-manager candidates. There are differing opinions on the rest of the top ten, including the potential ceiling of outfielder Mitch Holliday, still just 18 years old. Second baseman Eliseo Maupin (28) potentially offers the most power of any of the bats available and could sneak into the top five. Teams looking to build a defensive identity will take a look at CF Alexander Adkins (30), who was a web-gem machine in the developmental season and could anchor the top of any lineup.

IwZP9Vk.png

1960 First Round Draft Analysis

Pick 1 – San Ferrio Tars – 1B George Howard

As expected, the Tars made an easy choice selecting the talented first baseman George Howard to lead the charge. Howard is more athletically gifted than his position implies, has a more than capable glove and hits for average over power. Known as “General George,” he will also be an instant clubhouse leader even at just 22 years old.

Pick 2 – San Estas Seals – 3B Pat McGuire

The Seals surprised some by choosing McGuire over pitcher Charley McLaurin but McGuire offers more positional value in the hot corner and possesses a formidable bat despite a 5'-8” frame that will anchor the middle of the order. McGuire is a quiet but confident leader and a solid choice for the Seals to build a new team around.

Pick 3 – Malvaton Maroons – SP Charley McLaurin

There was chatter about the Maroons deep interest in the more established veteran players to also fill a future player-manager position but with Charley McLaurin still available it was an easy choice. McLaurin is a true ace. A well-developed pitch repertoire and a live arm on a big frame (6'6”-245) combined with a fiery demeanor, McLaurin will be a force to be reckoned with.

Pick 4 – Waterdee Ducks – SS Anderson Crouse

The Ducks were rumored to be in love with Crouse from the start and they never wavered from it. An interesting and somewhat surprising selection given Crouse's age (35) but his talent level is still elite, a rangy shortstop with big pop in his bat. There are questions how long his body will stay intact but the Ducks are banking on him being able to mentor the young players and transitioning to a managing coach role as soon as that happens.

Pick 5 – Cobantle Bears – LF Scott Salvatore

The Bears literally ran their card up to the podium after Waterdee selected Crouse ahead of Salvatore. A big legitimate 5-tool player, Salvatore is a fierce competitor who can also play any position. He projects best in left field but his versatility and production will be a massive boon to a new lineup. He's 32 but many scouts think he hasn't peaked yet.

Pick 6 – Engor Tigers – RP Rod Ramos

The Tigers decided to throw convention aside and take the most talented player available, maybe even in the whole pool. Ramos is an imposing, intimidating figure on the mound with a kitchen sink of nasty pitches. His velocity isn't a plus but he generates more swing-and-misses than any other pitcher and already has a reputation as a feared closer. The Tigers believe that if they fall too far out of contention they will own a valuable trade chip at the very least.

Pick 7 – Perna Whitecaps – C Randy Hart

The Whitecaps illustrated their team philosophy early by selecting catcher Randy Hart as their first player. Hart is a cerebral player, known for being able to work with struggling pitchers. He has a competent glove but his real strength is a powerful bat. Perna believes he can play at an elite level for several years while transitioning into a coaching position.

Pick 8 – Cabriga Blackbirds – 2B Eliseo Maupin

Cabriga's self-proclaimed unluckiness continued with a last-place selection slot but the Blackbirds got an excellent player in Maupin. Known as “Mini” due to his 5'5” frame, his bat is anything but. Showcasing power to every area of the ballpark, Maupin is a dangerous hitter who doesn't strike out and draws plenty of walks as a result. He will be a perennial triple-crown threat.

Second Round Picks: 1. San Ferrio – SP Manny Herrera | 2. San Estas – SP Greg Watts | 3. Malvaton – 2B Oscar Houston | 4. Waterdee – SP Dillon Callender | 5. Cobantle – SP Gilbert Shultz | 6. Engor – C Gino Spivey | 7. Perna – 3B Ernie Hudson | 8. Cabriga – SP Frank Wheeler

I'm out on the road and my internet access has been pretty spotty, but here is Waterdee's uniform set! I based it primarily from the Milwaukee Braves set of that era, minus the front piping. I debated going with NOB's but it appears MLB didn't see widespread use of them until the 80's so I'll hold off on them for now. Webby Duck is featured on the sleeve.

E5wXcvE.png

(template by Saline)

Featured Players:

#11 SS Anderson Crouse (35)

Height: 6'4" | Weight: 206

Hometown: Angbur | College: Emerald

Bats: Switch | Throws: Right

Player Trait: Power Bat

Scout's Note: Crouse wields a powerful bat, hits against right-handers very well. Still possesses decent mobility and range from the shortstop position even at his age but is a liability on the base path. Great middle of the order, cleanup hitter. May need to platoon defensively as he has shown lack of desire to change positions.

#23 SP Dillon Callender (25)

Height: 6'0" | Weight: 231

Hometown: Silkeboro | College: Hemstrand

Bats: Right | Throws: Right

Player Trait: Power Flyballer

Scout's Note: Young, live arm with plenty of velocity. Fastball in the mid-90's. Secondary pitches (curve and change) are spotty at times. Prone to the long ball. Good demeanor, handles adversity well. Top of the rotation anchor but concerns about long-term viability with just a plus fastball.

More uniform sets coming next when I get off the road!

upjjfDY.png

The Bears keep it fairly straight forward. Co-dominate use of red and navy. I kept reducing the amount of piping on the jerseys but kept an outlined neck stripe. Jerseys of this era were mostly somewhat plain but I wanted to give them something unique. Tell me if it looks too modern. Outlined back jersey numbers, plain front numbers. Both nickname and city scripts are also outlined.

Featured Players:

#7 LF Scott Salvatore (32)

Height: 6'4" | Weight: 191

Hometown: Loebury | College: Robinette

Bats: Left | Throws: Right

Player Trait: 5-Tool Prototype

Scout's Note: Salvatore is an immensely talented player, possesses all five classic tools. Tall, lanky build. Strong arm, great mobility. Good speed, excellent base runner. Hit machine. Lacks elite power but can hit all over the yard. Balanced personality, strong clubhouse leader. Cornerstone player.

#24 RH SP Gilbert Shultz (27)

Height: 5'6" | Weight: 256

Hometown: Kirkenport | College: Forstana State

Player Trait: Balanced Flyballer

Scout's Note: Unique body and body of work. Short, squat frame, doesn't generate much velocity. Energetic presence and personality. Loves the big moment. Not particularly accurate. Has excellent breaking pitches (slider, slurve), is a no-hitter type when he's got everything working. Still in prime, will need to work on fastball location to have sustained success. Top of rotation anchor.

5q6Iw7C.png

The Seals' unique feature is NOB's (ala 60's Chicago White Sox) on a basic uniform set.

Featured Players:

#9 3B Pat McGuire (29)

Height: 5'8" | Weight: 200

Hometown: Kalper | College: (none)

Player Trait: Balanced Bat

Scout's Note: Quiet, soft-spoken guy who lets his bat do the talking. Pure, easy swing. Sees every pitch well. Good power despite his size. Likes to drive to opposite field. Short frame with too much weight, has had knee issues. Quick reaction and a decent glove at the hot corner but isn't very mobile. Middle-order anchor, RBI machine. Takes his fair share of walks, but should look to avoid them as not a great base runner.

#22 SP Gregg Watts (35)

Height: 6'2" | Weight: 217

Hometown: Plunza | College: Bevin

Player Trait: Power Flyballer

Scout's Note: Watts is a tough, hard-throwing right-hander with military experience. His edge is unparalleled focus and concentration. Only really throws two pitches, a high velocity fastball and a wicked slurve hybrid. His body has taken a beating, needs to stay healthy but his mental sharpness is a boon to any pitching staff and eats a ton of innings. With a limited pitch arsenal, if one is off the mark he has a tendency to serve up too many home runs.

u07gL3s.png

The Whitecaps signature is a white cap and two-line piping along with road blues.

Featured Players:

#15 3B Ernie Hudson (30)

Height: 5'8" | Weight: 208

Hometown: Collon | College: Kimaesee

Player Trait: Balanced Glove

Scout's Note: Hudson has a reputation of being a slow-talker when does (rarely) talk. Loner type, sticks to himself in the clubhouse. Plus defender, has a glue trap for a glove at the hot corner. Fundamentally sound. Streaky bat. All-world when he's "on" but struggles to maintain consistency at the plate.

#8 C Randy Hart (34)

Height: 6'1" | Weight: 199

Hometown: Essith Bay | College: Conover

Scout's Note: Hart looks like a lean, bow-legged cowboy and acts the part. Has a powerful swing and a menacing presence at the plate. Classic power hitter. Has won every home run derby he's entered. Is serviceable behind the plate, more cerebral than naturally skilled defensively. Magnetic leader, elevates his teammates.

GOjZSm4.png

The Blackbirds little uniform fiasco has them sporting the most plain set in the first season. Owner Kip Christy is already planning on "the best damn-looking jerseys you'll ever see" for the following season.

Featured Players:

#27 LH SP Frank Wheeler (24)

Height: 5'9" | Weight: 213

Hometown: Willowdale | College: Guilden Tech

Bats: Left | Throws: Left

Player Trait: Strikeout Specialist

Scout's Note: Second round pick Wheeler features a deep assortment of pitches but none are dominate. Iffy command. The lefty generates plenty of strikeouts, mostly because his doesn't even know where his pitches are going, let alone the batter. Struggles with mental consistency, has a tendency to have "major disaster" innings in otherwise clean outings. Strikeout or bust mentality, gives up too many walks and long balls. Still young with potential to put it all together.

#14 2B Eliseo Maupin (28)

Height: 5'5" | Weight: 233

Hometown: Namverg | College: (none)

Scout's Note: "Mini" Maupin is a fireplug who is really good at only one thing: blasting home runs off righty pitchers into left field bleachers. He's exciting, carries lots of energy on the field but is a below average fielder and strikes out too much. Will make an occasional "wow" play on the field and follow it with a little-league error. Oddly clutch, teammates trust him in high-pressure situations. Great locker room glue guy.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or C&C on these uniforms! Next up, San Ferrio and Engor.

8qY3g95.png

San Ferrio's home duds feature outlines and the road jerseys keep things plain. No team nickname on the home jersey.

Featured Players:

#10 1B George Howard (22)

Height: 6'4" | Weight: 223

Hometown: Maina | College: Guilden Tech

Bats: Left | Throws: Left

Player Trait: Contact Hitter

Scout's Note: "General George" is the quintessential baseball player. Good at basically everything, well-built frame, smooth athlete, winning personality. He's a franchise cornerstone and a league face. Potent bat, difficult to strike out. Doesn't have as much power as you'd expect with his size but he'll average 20 home runs a year while racking up hits and RBI's. Rangy glove for a first baseman. Occasional "wow" play defensively. Runs well but a sloppy slider. Has had joint inflammation, will need to keep it constantly monitored to stay on the field.

#7 RF Mitch Holliday (18)

Height: 5'5" | Weight: 207

Hometown: Dyer | College: (none)

Player Trait: Balanced Player

Scout's Note: Holliday is a cornucopia of potential. He's still wet behind the ears but owns one of the most powerful swings you'll ever see, especially coming from a diminutive frame. He's not a speedster but faster than he looks. If it's in range, he'll catch it. Has a hell of an arm. Strikes out too often, has a swing-first mentality. Raw player but with all the tools to be really good in the league for a long time.

5bYOqde.png

Engor has a lot going on; sleeveless jerseys, home pinstripes, road placket piping all complete this set.

Featured Players:

#32 RH RP Rod Ramos (20)

Height: 6'8" | Weight: 236

Hometown: Favorboro | College: (none)

Player Trait: Finesse Flyballer

Scout's Note: Rod Ramos is truly a spectacle. One thing is clear, the huge kid from the hills of Galapetra can pitch. Ramos played basketball most of high school until a baseball coach saw him throw a baseball in his senior year. His pitch arsenal is still growing, his fastball is slower than his massive frame would suggest but he has great location. His curveball and splitter are straight nasty. Has a way of disguising his pitches that drives hitters nuts. Has already developed a reputation as a fearsome closer.

#16 C Geno Spivey (27)

Height: 6'1" | Weight: 241

Hometown: Beluest | College: Kimaesee

Bats: Right | Throws: Left

Scout's Note: Spivey is an oddity, a left-handed above-average catcher who bats right-handed. But he bats well, hits for average and doesn't strike out much. He's a generally good pitch caller so pitchers like to work with him. Doesn't run well. Main issue is focus through a whole game, will get too emotional about negative plays and let it simmer and affect his play.

And last but not least!

DSY1hi5.png

Malvaton focused on a clean, classy uniform along with their two-color scheme. Powder blue instead of gray for the road set to pair with the maroon. Thick single stripes on the sleeves and pants.

Featured Players:

#29 RH SP Charley McLaurin (29)

Height: 6'6" | Weight: 245

Hometown: Sonneca | College: Forstana State

Player Trait: Ace Pitcher

Scout's Note: McLaurin is a true ace. He's mentally tough, has 4 strong pitches, including a wicked slider, and combines them all with great command. Huge frame, imposing presence on the mound. He's been an ironman in the independent leagues but does show signs of wearing down physically. If he can stay healthy, he's the best pitcher in the league. Has a second wind, ability to go deep into games with shutdown stuff.

#6 2B Oscar Houston (22)

Height: 5'7" | Weight: 204

Hometown: Antedon | College: Forstana State

Scout's Note: Houston's best ability is to get on base. Has a knack for stealing, utilizing an ability to read pitchers and a quick jump despite not being particularly fast. Excellent contact hitter, will put the ball in play just about every time. Above average glove at second base. Not a high ceiling but a consistent player who is still growing.

Hope y'all are enjoying the series so far. I'm ready to get the first season underway. Who are y'all gonna be rooting for? I have some fun ideas for those who want to cast their allegiance with one of the teams. Here are some team signatures if anyone is interested!

8L7978f.png

rk2xV9h.png

lwNt9hx.png

Z7vXyqc.png

8PPOFLk.png

pDzl8b7.png

QzzUzkP.png

XoQJ3t5.png

Hey Steelman, been following since the beginning and decided to log back in to drop some C&C. But first, as someone struggling to find a decent way of creating graphics from my logo sketches, what program are you using for your graphics?

I love the backstories as well as the entire fictional world aspect. The map is incredible too. For the teams themselves, the caps and color schemes are all fantastic. No critiques there. I think someone else questioned how so many of the primary logos are roundels, and I agree with that skepticism. Cabriga and Perna are both gorgeous because they don’t feel cluttered at all.

For the Torland league logo, I like it better when it’s presented in black and white.  I understand that you’re going for the retro look, but in my opinion the colors are too muted as they are currently. I think that if you have stronger, brighter colors then the logo would be more attractive.

I love Webby of the Waterdee Ducks, enough so that Waterdee is one of the two teams I’m rooting for. Caps are A+ and the socks are fantastic too. I think with the numbers on the jerseys, I’d like a little bit more consistency. I’d switch the home number on the front to match the letters and the number on the back, green bordered in red. Similarly, make either the team name and number on the front of the away jersey red bordered in green or make the number on the back green bordered by red. With the Ducks, that consistency would do wonders. Something about the “Ducks” across the chest of the home uniform is bugging me, but I think it’s just how few letters are in the name that makes it seem too spaced out. The logo feels a little cluttered, but I’m comfortable with it as is. Webby should get a bat eventually though, either swinging it or standing on it.

I don’t have any critiques on the Cobantle Bears. I would like to see them adopt a bat-swinging bear logo or something over the years. Maybe a Cubs-inspired bear within a C.

With the San Estas Seals, it’s another club that I don’t really have any complaints for. I’d be curious to see how the home uniform would look like with the number on the front outlined in orange and/or some orange sleeve piping. Likewise, I wonder if maybe the away jersey should go even more mellow and have the script being the same block font as NOB and without the orange outline. Thinking the Boston away jerseys from a couple years ago. One tiny gripe with the primary logo would be to remove the SE from the seal’s chest. I don’t think that’s really necessary with the roundel already labeled “San Estas”.

I really like the simple logos and color scheme of the Perna Whitecaps. The sleeve piping and road blues are a nice touch as well. Maybe they’ll go powder blue in the 70’s? My big critique for the team would be the scripts on both jerseys. With the swash underneath, I don’t think the text should be arced, but rather straight or angled upwards. The Phillies uniform from the era ditches the swash and sits in a line, whereas the Dodgers arch upwards and add a number underneath. Both scripts still look great today.

I’m always one for alliterative team names, so the Malvaton Maroons already had that going for me. Maroon is also such a great color, especially with how you paired it with the powder blue. No complaints on that and I like the simplicity of their roundel. One idea for improvement in the roundel would be to rotate the baseball seams within the logo.

The brown and blue of the Cabriga Blackbirds is both original and well done. Perhaps the Padres could benefit from that shade of blue… As I mentioned before, the Cabriga logo with just the blackbird in the baseball is one of my favorites in the league, if not The Favorite. Cabriga is the other team I’m rooting for, solely because of that logo. I like their hats, but their jerseys are too plain. However, I understand that’s part of the story line so I won’t nitpick that.

The San Ferrio Tars have a great color scheme, monogram, and cap. However, I feel like there’s too much going on in the roundel. I’d like to see the swinging sailor get adapted into a new roundel to replace the current one. It’s such a good logo that I think it should be used more often than just as a secondary mark, especially since the SF in the current roundel is already on the cap. For the jerseys, I like all you’ve got going there. My one nitpick would be to border the number on the front of the home jersey in gold to match the script and the number on the back.

Again, with the Engor Flying Tigers now, the roundel feels a little cluttered with the various outlines and texts. You also have a fantastic secondary mark that I think is underused in the identity and arguably one of the most retro logos in the league in comparison to the MLB logos in 1960. I like Engor’s cap, but something about the jerseys screams too modern to me. Maybe it’s the bright orange? I’m not sure. The home jersey works enough for me, but I think the away jersey needs to have sleeves and honestly be a little bit more boring.

I love seeing all the teams alongside each other in the sigs. That’s been my favorite part so far, seeing all the identities come together. You’ve got some good stuff going and hopefully my advice can be of help. I’m excited to follow along and see where this goes. Go Blackbirds and Ducks!

On 12/24/2018 at 1:31 AM, Megildur said:

Hey Steelman, been following since the beginning and decided to log back in to drop some C&C. But first, as someone struggling to find a decent way of creating graphics from my logo sketches, what program are you using for your graphics?

First off, thank you for your in-depth critiques and suggestions! Much appreciated. Glad you're enjoying the series so far. You hit on many great points, many of which I was already planning to implement, lots of good ideas!

I mostly use Photoshop and occasionally some Illustrator and sometimes I use InDesign for text layout stuff (I used to design magazines and it's just familiar to me) Before I could afford Adobe I used GIMP but I haven't used it in quite some time, though I've heard they've come a long way.

So I thought these might be fun to share. They're probably a one-off and I won't do them super often but they were fun to start off the league. Lineup cards featuring each team's starting lineups and rotations and main bench players and relievers. I based the overall design from a bunch of vintage MLB lineup cards from the 60's. I didn't include any team imagery on these, but if I do future versions in the 70's-80's I may include some different designs. I tried to give each manager a slightly different notation style, so you'll some with detailed information and some with just bare details.

Y8StgGi.pngg6qjLbN.png

FHl2rEy.pnguAdWLqI.png

Fz6u1Zv.pngUjJmbdT.png

KBrJEvI.pngvfntyhx.png

I get what these are going for, but aside from the Flying Tigers being in all caps, this just looks like all the managers have the same handwriting, especially with the signatures.

I'd vary the fonts (if you're able to) to get variation.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:14 PM, bernie57 said:

Go Blackbirds

No, Go Seals.

No. Go Tars. To find a team that combines my roots from the Bay Area that meshes with my families love for the steel city is ridiculous. I feel a real connection. And instead of cheering for the miners and whales or the stingers and nuggets I finally have one team in a series that I can give full backing. How unique!

I just chose San Estas because it sounds like a cross between Los Angeles and San Diego, two cities I live an hour away from.

12 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I get what these are going for, but aside from the Flying Tigers being in all caps, this just looks like all the managers have the same handwriting, especially with the signatures.

I'd vary the fonts (if you're able to) to get variation.

Thanks Dan. Let's just pretend that a league intern wrote up all these. 😬 Finding handwriting fonts that looked good was a harder task than I anticipated, thus the same overall font. Next time I'll see if I can find more variations or go for a typed version.

5 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

No. Go Tars. To find a team that combines my roots from the Bay Area that meshes with my families love for the steel city is ridiculous. I feel a real connection. And instead of cheering for the miners and whales or the stingers and nuggets I finally have one team in a series that I can give full backing. How unique!

I had a feeling you'd end up rooting for San Ferrio. I like that connection!

2 hours ago, ItsSlothy said:

I just chose San Estas because it sounds like a cross between Los Angeles and San Diego, two cities I live an hour away from.

Love it!

2sZPvcZ.png

We Want a Trophy!

It was announced today by commish Bo Gossett that the TSL's championship series will be a seven-game series called the Star Series to play for a trophy called the Star Cup. Eight teams will play 120 games and the top four will play in a Semi-Finals series with the higher seeded team hosting the lower seeded team with the winners of each advancing to the Star Series where the highest seed remaining team will begin on their home field in a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

I've Got The Power!

With the inaugural Torland Star League season about to embark, we've gathered our reporters to analyze all the data we could find about each team and rank them accordingly.

1960 Power Rankings

1. San Ferrio Tars – The Tars took advantage of their #1 draft position and landed several impact players and a deep roster to go with it. George Howard is the big name but starting pitcher Manny Herrera and outfielder Brett Cooper are some other names to watch out for.

2. San Estas Seals – The Seals made sure to not overreach for veterans, instead focusing on development with players who showed high potential. Pitcher Greg Watts anchors the rotation and catcher Donovan Clements might have the best glove in the league.

3. Waterdee Ducks – The Ducks have a bonafide powerhouse with pitcher Dillon Callender and the best of the under-the-radar names may be third baseman Douglas Davis who was an RBI machine in the short season. The Ducks don't have a deep roster but we expect them to make some noise.

4. Engor Flying Tigers – The Tigers hustled their way to a finely balanced roster deep in talent but lacking in star power. If the skill level comes together, this team is capable of making a real run if the starting rotation can develop Mike Pollack into an ace.

5. Malvaton Maroons – The Maroons made a concerted effort to draft for the future but with prime ace Charley McLaurin in the starting fold and a dominate bullpen, the position players can make an early run out of it. Second baseman Oscar Houston is a player to watch offensively.

6. Cobantle Bears – The Bears' outfield is scary both defensively and at the plate. If they can carry a weak infield and bench, the pitching staff has just enough juice to be a threat. The Bears will a prime candidate for a midseason trade for infield help if they find themselves in contention.

7. Perna Whitecaps – The 'Caps built a solid pitching staff, focusing on pitching and defense. Outside of catcher Randy Hart, the offensive power will be a work in progress. If the Whitecaps can keep games close and have a few games bounce their way, they could become an upset machine in the playoffs.

8. Cabriga Blackbirds – The Blackbirds didn't start off well in the PR department and their roster might be no better. Athletic outfielder Jack Cohen is fun to watch but while the pitching staff is serviceable the rest of the lineup doesn't offer much excitement outside of 2B Elieso Maupin's powerful bat.

First season will be posted soon!