Steelman

Torland Star League - A Fictional Baseball History: Inaugural 1960 Season

2sZPvcZ.png

And We're Off!

Just like that, the TSL is ready to begin their first season. First pitch will be at Union Park in Waterdee with the Cabriga Blackbirds visiting the Ducks. In Opening Day action, the Ducks were dominate, with Callender and gang holding the 'Birds to a goose egg. The Bears visited San Ferrio and put up a good fight until a 5-run 8th inning by the Tars put it out of reach. The Seals hosted the Tigers and produced a classic opening day game.

S9i9V1Z.png

DzdpmWj.png

The Seals took the lead on a sac-fly in the 4th inning by SS Jim Fletcher to score Pat McGuire. The Tigers answered back in the 5th with CF Joe Cannon scoring on a close slide at home plate and in 6th with an RBI double by C Gino Spivey to bring in shortstop Dexter Cross. The Seals tied it back up on a home run by McGuire in the 7th to make it 2-2. In the top of the 9th, the Tigers pushed two runs across on back-to-back RBI hits by Spivey and left fielder Adam Bates. In the bottom of the 9th, young phenom closer Rod Ramos showed nerves and the Seals hopped on him to push a run across and load the bases with only one out. With the fans of both teams holding their breath, Ramos struck out Henry Page and Pat McGuire to capture the win.

The Malvaton Maroons visited Perna and never looked back from a 1st-inning two-run double by Oscar Houston. The Whitecaps plated a run in the 7th on a solo home run by Randy Hart but their lineup was held in check and the Maroons won 4-1.

Who's Lucky?

Midseason checkup time on our combatants! As expected, San Ferrio leads the way but a surging Tigers squad is right on their heels. Malvaton and Perna have surprised as they are both ahead of San Estas and Waterdee in the standings. The Bears have been decidedly unlucky, losing too many close games. The Blackbirds' offense is putrid as predicted but they've been competitive.

And Rounding Toward Home Plate...

Baseball is magical. And sometimes the most frustrating thing ever attempted. The Ducks were a pre-season favorite but despite a +17 run differential, slid all the way to 7th-place. The top-ranked Tars batted the ball all over the park but their pitching staff battled injuries that gave way to the Maroons to leapfrog them in the standings. Cobantle and San Estas both finshed 60-60 but the Bears owned a better run differential to squeak ahead of the Seals for the final playoff berth.

K70oCs5.png

nkMoY1Y.png

To nobody's surprise, first baseman George Howard ran away with the MVP hardware and threw in a batting title to boot. Engor's braintrust was rewarded for their ingenuity in constructing their roster and giving a small-market club a big time opportunity out of the gate. Charley McLaurin was every bit as advertised, carrying the Maroons on his ample shoulders to a POTY and a first place Bronze Arm selection.

Editor's Take: Postseason Series Matchup Analysis

1 Engor Flying Tigers vs 4 Cobantle Bears

The Flying Tigers have been flying high since midseason when they overtook the league with an inspired us-against-the-world mentality. The Bears rode a roller coaster of self-sabotage combined with moments of blazing win and stat streaks. The Tigers are hot but if the Good Bears show up, they'd better watch out. Tigers in 7.

2 Malvaton Maroons vs 3 San Ferrio Tars

Charley McLaurin essentially willed the Maroons into second place through sheer determination and an ungodly amount of workhorse innings. The Tars scored runs in bunches but lost their identity toward the end of the regular season. George Howard is the best player in baseball but he needs help from the other guys. We like the Tars to win in 6.

Notes: I'm still working on a good balance for the season recaps as I want to get more in-depth for the Star Series. Semi-Finals will get moderate recaps and then I will do game-by-game recaps of the Star Series. C&C appreciated on my scoreboard and standings graphics. The sponsors on the scoreboard are original designs, based on Torland companies. Kulu is the Torland version of Coke. Twesso Light Lager and Straken Lifelong Beer are the top brewers in Torland. As always, feel free to ask questions!

The Points column is superfluous for now, but I have a purpose for it later as the league develops. Since I don't use OOTP I wanted to keep as much data as possible. Runs For, Runs Against + the Differential will be significant metrics for this league for roster and rating decisions. It's all randomly simulated based on a yearly overall team rating from a variety of factors. I just screenshot the awards/all-star teams as that's too much to input into Photoshop.

I kinda wish the gap between the best and the worst was more than 10 games for a 120 game season (13.5 games for 162 fyi) 

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

I kinda wish the gap between the best and the worst was more than 10 games for a 120 game season (13.5 games for 162 fyi) 

And I thought the results for my simulations were closely contested. But it goes to show that there are minimal differences in team skill levels for the league. Makes it really interesting.

11 hours ago, bernie57 said:

How do you get the results? Is it OOTP 19?

I use a little program called Xkoranate to simulate the season standings. It's not the best but it serves my purposes well enough. I base my story lines and team/player ratings on each season's results. League awards and All-Star selections are directly based on each team's run differentials combined with consideration given to the highest rated players who may have performed well outside of team success.

8 hours ago, TargetToad said:

6 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

And I thought the results for my simulations were closely contested. But it goes to show that there are minimal differences in team skill levels for the league. Makes it really interesting.

Yeah, I had hoped for a wider margin as well but the whole point of the short developmental season and the drafting process was a fair shake for each team in the opening stages of league play. Commissioner Bo Gossett was desirous to avoid a Yankees-type situation where one team couldn't run all over the league with a big budget. The Yankees appeared in the Word Series 19 times in a 30-year span from 1930-1960. Without penalizing good teams, it is hoped that maintaining league parity in these beginning stages will help set a competitive course for the league.

I can say, however, that the margin gets wider later on, though I'm purposely not too far ahead on simulation yet to keep the stories and reaction fresh.

Go Tigers! I loved Engor from the beginning of the series and woah, actually had luck with my team! Fly High!!