Sign in to follow this  
Steelman

Torland Star League - A Fictional Baseball History: The Introduction

iVF4ZB5.jpg

Welcome to the fictional country of Torland! It is an island nation situated in the North Pacific and features diverse geography and people groups. The year 1960 is approaching and economies are rebounding after world conflicts and once again society is craving entertainment and national pastimes. In the neighboring United States, the Giants have recently relocated to San Francisco and the Dodgers to Los Angeles to raging success. On the other side of the Pacific, baseball has long been a staple sport in Japan. The rage has traversed the ocean both eastward and westward to Torland and many independent teams are seeing massive increase in interest and attendance for the game of baseball. With other sports also on the rise in the country, along with a booming economy, rumors of bigger endeavors are swirling. Who will rise to the top and carve a destiny in this new promised land?

Play ball!

(Teams, logos, uniforms, commentary, simulated season summaries and player reports to follow. I will be sharing news via rumor/report style from various Torland sports networks)

(Note: I have been been developing Torland for over a year now. While this fictional country will not be the focal point of this series, it has come to feel like an almost real live place the longer I have developed it. I have many details about the diverse nature of Torland so feel free to ask questions about it. I will post details, maps, etc as needed. At the core, Torland is just a backdrop for my baseball and other fictional sport concepts but I hope you will also come to love and adopt these cities, places and people like our own real countries and states.)

TORLAND: The Country

Spoiler

MAP OF TORLAND (Large File):

Yf2tEgN.jpg

LINK TO FULL SIZE MAP: https://imgur.com/a/8SRDVaS

TORLAND APPROX. GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION (NOT TO SCALE):

eto9wnd.jpg

TORLAND HISTORY

A small island continent in the North Pacific discovered by Alaskan whalers in the late 17th century. Some native islanders inhabited the land but a small fort and a port city in the northern region of the island was established as a southern base of operations for Pacific whalers between North America and the Asian countries. It became known as Tor, for the massive rocky pinnacle that led to the inner bay.

They were joined by a group of French-Canadian trappers shortly thereafter, who founded a small town nearby and joined in alliance with the whalers to keep the western hostile natives out of the bay.

A small group of Russian merchants landed in the northwestern region and founded a very small town. They made contact with the Alaskans but did not have much success in dealing with the hostile western natives.

A small eclectic group of some South Asians, Filipinos, Pacific Islanders, English immigrants, and outcasts gathered with the purpose of creating a new colony and set out for the new island lands. They landed in the southern area and immediately founded several small towns.

A second, much larger eclectic group of primarily Irish immigrants, disgruntled by the lack of success with gold mining in California, and hearing about the new land, embarked on a small fleet of fishing vessels and settled in the eastern region of the island in the mid-1800's. With the proximity to California and the growing San Francisco and Los Angeles, this settlement grew rapidly.

STATES:

Torland is comprised of 11 states: Alrene Isles, Cabriga Isles, Forstana, Galapetra, Granago, Lismane, Maienzona, New Dosa, Pakola, Solinza, and Tamokeva.

2sZPvcZ.png

New Baseball League Underway?

Several news outlets are preparing sports channels and anchors in light of reports of serious talks of a new baseball league in Torland being headquartered in Waterdee, Granago. It is rumored that local lawyer Bo Gossett is slated to act as the league's commissioner. It is unconfirmed how many clubs will be formed but Waterdee and Cobantle have already filed paperwork with city planning councils.

Build It and They Will Come?

Vertex is reporting that a slew of stadiums are set for construction or remodeling to pave the way for a new major-level baseball league in Torland. Bo Gossett of Waterdee has been confirmed as lead council for the project, which now includes several prominent businessmen in key surrounding cities. John Rosenthal of Waterdee, Arlie Penny of Cobantle, and George Kidwell of Malvaton have all confirmed their interest and involvement.

Bo Knows Best?

As expected, Bo Gossett has been announced as the commissioner of the Torland Star League (TSL), a major-level baseball league based in solely in Torland and headquartered in Waterdee. Gossett confirmed that the league will embark with eight clubs and many cities and owners are still being considered but stated that Waterdee, Cobantle, San Estas, Malvaton and San Ferrio are the leading candidates.

Torland Star League Unveils New Logos

BE7DEgJ.png

The new league logo for the Torland Star League plays off an historic asteroid-T mark found throughout Torland's advertising imagery. The asteroid star represents how the first settlers of Torland came from all corners of the compass. The ownership group hope to create a brand and level of play that will rival the MLB in the United States and the Nippon Professional Baseball League in Japan so they chose to use the 'star' moniker and imagery to create an illusion of elitism. Bo Gossett chose the color scheme but it is thought that the black and white versions will ultimately prevail in usage. Critics think it doesn't look very "league-like" and panned the inclusion of the asteroid-T as a cheap play to gain fans. Gossett certainly has his work cut out for him but Torland is excited for the Big Show to arrive soon.

Good start to the series so far.

As of 2018, which North American fast food chains have enjoyed the greatest success in Torland?

21 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Good start to the series so far.

As of 2018, which North American fast food chains have enjoyed the greatest success in Torland?

Thanks! McDonald's is obviously hard to beat on a global scale, but Chick-fil-A and In-N-Out have recently made a big push into the area. A local seafood chain called Honey Whale is the top Torland-based chain and is an iconic part of Torland culture.

20 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Is Torland a US territory? Also, what is their main export?

Torland is not a US territory but has had a relationship very similar to the Philippines as a functional colony and subsequently an independently recognized nation. Torland enjoys a very close open-border relationship with the USA.

Torland's top exports are ocean-related. The northern regions are on par with Alaska in fishing and seafood exports. The eastern regions have transitioned to primarily manufacturing parts and machinery, similar to Japan. The southern and western regions have more overall variety but the inner valleys produce some of the finest specialty crops such as almonds, grapes, strawberries and other nuts.

Are there any major companies in Torland(Besides Honey Whale)? Also, what is the local wildlife and fauna like?

Love the color on the logos, but I’m wondering why the inner circle indents in by the points of the star on the baseball version. Is this done purposely? If so, I would go the route of keeping the whole inner circle round instead of tapering off at the points. On that note, holy crap man this series will be what you make of it. You want to have some crazy cool name for a team? Done, you just need a decent story for the city or region. Take it and run with it. Also, I intend to support a Mainezona team due to the back end sounding like the state I’m from, bad reason I know. Do you mind telling me more about that region?

3 hours ago, ItsSlothy said:

Are there any major companies in Torland(Besides Honey Whale)? Also, what is the local wildlife and fauna like?

Plenty of large scale companies, many of which I will introduce soon due to ownership and sponsorship connections. One of the larger manufacturers is Klibecraft, a vehicle maker, originally for military-grade motorized vehicles but now also produces aircraft and commercial truck fleets.

Due to Torland's location in the Pacific ocean between equatorial currents near Hawaii and the sub-arctic currents in the Alaskan Circle, the flora and fauna vary greatly depending on the region. It's pretty much the best of several worlds, with Alaska, Hawaii, California coast, Oregon coast, eastern Asia, and Russia all colliding. It's a bit like the center of the compass and wildlife mirrors which direction you go.

2 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Love the color on the logos, but I’m wondering why the inner circle indents in by the points of the star on the baseball version. Is this done purposely? If so, I would go the route of keeping the whole inner circle round instead of tapering off at the points. On that note, holy crap man this series will be what you make of it. You want to have some crazy cool name for a team? Done, you just need a decent story for the city or region. Take it and run with it. Also, I intend to support a Mainezona team due to the back end sounding like the state I’m from, bad reason I know. Do you mind telling me more about that region?

Thanks! I'll go back and take a look at that, I'm thinking it's a layering issue but it wasn't intentional. As it stands it looks hand drawn but like you I'd prefer a more precise roundel. Good eye.

Maienzona is an interesting state and region. It's nickname is "The Noble State." It's largest city, San Ferrio ("Iron City -- every major city has at least one nickname btw) is a more technology-inclined coastal version of Pittsburgh, with iron ore and steel being it's main backbone, but also carries heavy harbor trade through it's port system. San Estas ("Sunny City") is decidedly a naval city due to Fort Cardona and the San Estas Naval Base, much like San Diego but with more of a Miami flair. The state relies strongly on the tourism to their many beaches, especially along the southwest peninsula because the rest of the state is home to some of the only ranch land (horses, cows) in the country.

Baseball in Torland will begin in Waterdee and graduate westward, but there will be other independent leagues to spring up as well. But I can confirm Maienzona will be well represented in the initial crop of teams.

1 hour ago, appleclock said:

Nice! This is going to be exciting!

Thanks! I hope so too.

2sZPvcZ.png

Just Add Hotdogs?

Seemingly overnight, new and overhauled baseball stadiums have popped up all over the eastern Torland. Union Park in Waterdee has been retrofitted into a beautiful ballfield. “The Yoop” as it is known to locals, now seats nearly 50,000 and looks to be a central figure in a plan to bring major-level baseball to the eastern shores of Torland. Other parks recently overhauled and updated include Dominion Park in Cobantle, Ferryman Field in San Estas, and Rhymorkin Park in Malvaton. That brings four potential cities to light as locks for new teams.

Who's On First?

New reports have surfaced detailing nearly a dozen ownership groups are fighting for clubs in the new baseball league. Bo Gossett has been tight-lipped but has said that there will be official announcements about the new league soon. We have done our own research and found credible sources who say San Ferrio's Jerry Brandenberg and San Estas' Joe Cardoza are leading the charge for bringing franchises to Maienzona. Both cities have prominent ballpark facilities.

Show Me What You Got?

A new announcement today by Bo Gossett of the upcoming Torland Star League shows the fledging league is getting serious, as they called for a nationwide talent tryout in preparation for a short developmental season of play to help teams evaluate players before an inaugural draft takes place. Gossett also announced that regular league play would begin in the spring of 1960 and felt confident that owners, teams, stadiums and rosters would all be in place by that time.

Have Stars Will Travel?

Over 700 prospects auditioned for a chance to participate in the TSL short development season. That number was reportedly whittled down to approximately 250-300 prospects, in line for an 8-team league with 25-man rosters. It is unknown if there will also be any lower level team systems attached to the TSL but the nationwide audition has created a buzz about the new league.

If It Looks Like a Duck...

The first four official teams have been announced by TSL: The Waterdee Ducks are owned by John Rosenthal and will call Union Park home. The Cobantle Bears are owned by Arlie Penny and will play at Dominion Field, also known as “The Cavern.” Heading across the bay, the Malvaton Maroons are owned by George Kidwell and home field will be Rhymorkin Park. The San Ferrio Tars are owned by Jerry Brandenberg and will play at the newly renovated Hallcedony Park, affectionately known as “The Quarry.

Waterdee Ducks Leak New Logos

PsmnDDY.png

The Ducks officially adopted Waterdee's own colors of red and green along with cream as their scheme. A stylized serif W with a duck head imposed upon it comprises their main mark. It is rumored that teams will unveil uniforms after the draft.

Quick Facts:

• City: Waterdee, Granago
  • Nickname: Ducks
  • Colors: Red, Green, Cream
  • Owner: John Rosenthal (Rosenthal Engineering Group)
  • Home: Union Park (Cap. 50k; Built: 1957; Field: Grass; Owned by John Rosenthal; Nickname: "The U.P." or "The Yoop"
  • Sponsor: Union Medical Network
  • Mascot: Dub The Duck

The city of Waterdee is the miniature New York City of Torland but with more of a Boston / Portland, OR flair due to the high number of Irish-American immigrants that first settled the region. It also has a large amount of canals built into the area which facilitated shipping in the earlier years which is how the city got its name, also known as the "Water City" and "Watertown". Waterdee is now home to many large businesses and is a top commercial and financial hub of Torland. It is also the home of Oracle Sports Network, the primary coverage of TSL baseball. The city has a deep rivalry with nearby Cobantle due to the presence of two state universities, the University of Granago in Waterdee and Granago State in Cobantle. The Ducks are the inaugural team in part because of Waterdee being the flagship and also partly because Rosenthal already owned the team rights, which has competed independently at various levels for many years and already has a devoted fan base.

I'm still figuring out a presentation style that will suit my needs for this series, so any suggestions on what to include or not include are appreciated. I don't want to overwhelm with too many details as the point of all this is obviously graphics and design, so hopefully I can strike a good balance as we progress. I always appreciate all graphical critique and criticism as I am also using these concepts to continue improving my skills. Freehand drawing is not my strong suit, so you'll see plenty of open source graphics and clipart as the series begins.

Maybe you should use a playoff bracket with baseball caps instead of logos. Also, why don’t you do what Section30 does with championships and when the Winner of a game is colored and the other team isn’t.

Phenomenal start to the thread! I have so many questions for you about the worldbuilding, but not right now as I'm too tired to write them out haha. 

All I can say right now that I absolutely will be monitoring this thread very closely! Great start! Keep it up! 

This reminds me of this one thread on the OOTP forums known as the the United Leagues of Braeland. Like that thread, this thread looks amazing. Can’t wait to see how this one grows.

6 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

This reminds me of this one thread on the OOTP forums known as the the United Leagues of Braeland. Like that thread, this thread looks amazing. Can’t wait to see how this one grows.

I too also follow that thread too! My favorite part of that thread (and this current thread) is the world building and the lore and the stories behind each city and states. I thought it was clever how he named the 10 states after the first 10 presidents of the US. 

While keeping this thread in topic - OP, how did you come up with the the names for tournaments location? 

On 11/17/2018 at 5:29 PM, Raptorman415 said:

On 11/18/2018 at 12:11 AM, RoughRiders99 said:

I too also follow that thread too! My favorite part of that thread (and this current thread) is the world building and the lore and the stories behind each city and states. I thought it was clever how he named the 10 states after the first 10 presidents of the US. 

While keeping this thread in topic - OP, how did you come up with the the names for tournaments location? 

I haven't seen or heard of that thread but it sounds awesome! I'll probably check it out after I've got this one fairly established. (ignorance is bliss! haha)

If you mean the name Torland itself, it's from a very old Gaelic word 'tor' or 'torr' which essentially means "rocky pinnacle." In the northern coastal region of Lismane there's a huge rocky outface that was a landmark for North Pacific whalers taking refuge in the area on their way to and from San Francisco.

All of the other names are typically randomly generated from a wide variety of resources, I keep tons of lists of potential names and then I do etymology on each to determine what it could mean or represent. For instance, San Ferrio became "Iron City" because 'ferrio' comes from a root latin word which essentially means 'iron' so it sort of evolved from there.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:19 PM, OhiOsFan17 said:

Please tell me you have created a Honey Whale logo?

I haven't yet. I do plan to do so but it's not a focal point at this time until league sponsorship continue to rise.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, Goran The Man said:

The city San Ferrio reminds me a lot of Wollongong, given its coastal location.

I like that. I didn't know much about that city, thanks for bringing that up!

2sZPvcZ.png

New Bears Logos Emerge From The Cavern

3LMvczb.png

The Bears colors are red and navy, a prominent scheme among all Cobantle-based teams.

Quick Facts:

• City: Cobantle, Granago
  • Nickname: Bears
  • Colors: Red, Navy, White
  • Owner: Arlie Penny
  • Home: Dominion Field (Cap. 40k; Built: 1952; Field: Grass; Owned by Penny Enterprises; Nickname: "The Cavern")
  • Sponsor: Dominion Bank & Trust
  • Mascot: Penny Bear (unofficial)

Cobantle is a blue-collar city with similarities to Cleveland, Memphis and Detroit. Originally a mill town due to the heavy presence of mills along the Penny River, Cobantle continued to grow as a center for handmade craftsmanship. Textile manufacturing is still the largest sector but the area has embraced all trades, especially anything opposite of what Waterdee offers. The people of Cobantle have a fierce rivalry with Waterdee and relish their underdog status despite the growing size of their city. The Penny family is old royalty, evidenced by how many things are named after them and they are major contributors in a wide slew of business fields. Arlie Penny came up in real estate and then delved into banking. The current Dominion Field is 8 years old and every stadium in its location of a natural valley bowl just outside the city south of the river has always been known as "The Cavern." Legends and myths abound about the bears and caves and underground shafts in the area, something the citizens are never shy about scaring tourists with the stories.

I hope one of your teams gets the Brandiose design.

5 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

In 1960? Were they even around back then.

Someday, they will...

On 11/19/2018 at 11:50 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

Since it's a fictional world I am definitely going to attempt something along those lines at some point. There will be other independent and major-level league competition to spring up over the course of this series so there will be plenty of opportunities, not to mention minor league systems. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and by no means a great designer but it'll be a fun way to practice.

2sZPvcZ.png

San Estas Gets Seal of Approval

2xI0quQ.png

The Seals colors borrow heavily from the Seals team in San Francisco, with navy blue and orange. A Torland staple of creamy off-white completes the scheme.

Quick Facts:

• City: San Estas, Maienzona
  • Nickname: Seals
  • Colors: Navy, Orange, Cream
  • Owner: Joe Cardoza
  • Home: Ferryman Field (Cap. 38k; Built: 1953; Field: Grass; Owned by City of San Estas; Nickname: "The Big Wharf")
  • Sponsor: Klibecraft, Inc.
  • Mascot: Sandy The Seal

San Estas is a navy town, through-and-through, and carries a certain swagger that is unmatched by other cities. The shipyards and the night life in The Sunny City are both quite extensive and contribute to their wild reputation. The San Estas Naval Base, Navy Academy, and Fort Cardona are an integral part of the culture and commerce of the area and create a thriving, constantly shifting landscape that is especially appealing to the younger generations and also to the big defense contractors vying for government business. One of the largest manufacturers in Torland is Klibecraft, a vehicle maker, originally for military-grade motorized vehicles but now mainly produces naval aircraft and commercial truck fleets, and is the sponsor of Ferryman Field. The park was built alongside one of the original ferry wharves (thus its other nickname of "The Big Wharf") on the main seawall in San Estas and has gone through several generations, most recently in 1952 when the park was expanded to a capacity of 38,000. The city owns the park but local businessman Joe Cardoza brokered a deal with Klibecraft and his own finances to lease the park indefinitely. Cardoza, himself a former navy man, borrowed (read: stole) the name and colors from the baseball team in San Francisco to public outcry from California but the people of San Estas turned it into a victorious coup and have publicly fired back at California. Cardoza let it run as it created an instant bond with the new team and fans. The city mayor was forced to denounce such outcries as it negatively affected American tourism to the area and threatened to pull out of the Ferryman deal but the people still remain staunch in their own defense.

The Lanterns Are Lit in Perna

ANRCiBB.png

The Whitecaps keep things simple with a color scheme of dark navy and cream. The only team without a roundel and the secondary mark is rarely used.

Quick Facts:

• City: Perna, Granago
  • Nickname: Whitecaps
  • Colors: Dark Navy, Cream
  • Owner: Robert Goforth
  • Home: Lantern Park (Cap. 34k; Built: 1955; Field: Grass; Owned by Robert Goforth; Nickname: "The Light Yard")
  • Sponsor: (officially none) Goforth is part-owner of Terra Nova Mines, which finances the park
  • Mascot: (none)

Perna is a quiet mining town situated in the Ghost Valley in the eastern arm of Ghost Lake. The shape of the lake is truly iconic and permeates every part of Perna and their culture. The name Whitecaps refers both to the ghosts and a special militia force by the same name who wore squares of white cloth on their caps in the early settlement days of the area when relations with the natives and other settlers were tenuous. While mining, most notably Terra Nova Mines, is the dominate occupation, fishing and logging are other exports in the area. Known for its stable economy and leadership and tight-knit community, Perna has long been lauded as a model for efficient municipal government and economic growth, despite the presence of several big businesses. Robert Goforth owns the Whitecaps and Lantern Park, a small but very quaint stadium (ala Wrigley Field) that has been Perna's main sports and entertainment source for decades. The name came from when the park first opened and a scheduled night game almost had to be canceled because the stadium lights were not installed in time. Instead, most of the city showed up and brought every lantern they could find and lit the park themselves. Goforth is a stoic presence and admitted traditionalist, but has stated he wants to build a team that will be perennial contenders for a long time.

Up next: Trouble in Cabriga?

Note; I suppose most of you are waiting to see actual uniforms but I wanted to unveil them after the draft so you'll have the main players of each new team on them as well. Thanks for being patient and supporting this series in its infancy. I appreciate ALL critique and thoughts on these designs, so please fire away. I can't wait to see which teams people end up supporting. I'll have signatures available after the reveals are over.