Nike creates real crossover football jersey for Spurs, Chelsea, Barca

BJ Sands

7 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

I really don’t like that they didn’t make the fly wire triangle piece yellow to complete the collar. It looks really cool outside of that though.

They don't do that with Florida State either. You'd probably have to print it on to keep the pattern from looking wonky.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/16/2018 at 1:34 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Whoa!  I hadn't seen the Chelsea jersey.  I really dig it. 

body-nfl-spurs-chelsea-shirts-min.jpg

I wish they would allow a choice of players, including former greats.  I'd pick one up for Lampard or Drogba.

I feel like just using the lion and placing the Chelsea wordmark on the front would have been better.

On 11/16/2018 at 11:49 PM, ZipperClub said:

fc-barcelonamens-football-jersey-0LX6PJ.

fc-barcelonamens-football-jersey-0LX6PJ.

I hope a college team uses this design next year for the 150th anniversary year. I'm sure someone had a similar pattern in the 1900's.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I feel like just using the lion and placing the Chelsea wordmark on the front would have been better.

I like the full crest on the sleeve; the lion alone I imagine as the helmet logo.

And I wouldn't want to see the wordmark on the front. That is a lamentable trend on NFL and CFL jerseys; to me it looks cheesy. These jerseys remind us of the beauty of a clean shirt front.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

59 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I like the full crest on the sleeve; the lion alone I imagine as the helmet logo.

And I wouldn't want to see the wordmark on the front. That is a lamentable trend on NFL and CFL jerseys; to me it looks cheesy. These jerseys remind us of the beauty of a clean shirt front.

I'm thinking in terms of how a regular football shirt would look instead of the cookie cutters. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'm thinking in terms of how a regular football shirt would look instead of the cookie cutters. 

There's no good reason to import the flaws of current-day NFL and CFL jerseys. These shirts demonstrate the power of the classic aesthetic.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There's no good reason to import the flaws of current-day NFL and CFL jerseys. These shirts demonstrate the power of the classic aesthetic.

Not sure what you are getting at calling a fairly standard aesthetic for a sport a flaw.

59 minutes ago, dont care said:

Not sure what you are getting at calling a fairly standard aesthetic for a sport a flaw.

The cluttering up of the jersey's front with the team's wordmark is a blip in the history of an aesthetic that has stood for generations. The very fact that the Spurs, Chelsea, and Barcelona shirts look as they do tells us that, notwithstanding recent trends, the clean shirt front still contitutes the conceptual standard.

Indeed, these shirts are so attractive precisely because they hew to the established football aesthetic, rather than to latter-day aberrations. As such, the shirts avoid everything that violates the traditional look; they thus eschew not only the team's wordmark, but also goofy side panels, as well as any weird quirky number fonts. 

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The cluttering up of the jersey's front with the team's wordmark is a blip in the history of an aesthetic that has stood for generations. The very fact that the Spurs, Chelsea, and Barcelona shirts look as they do tells us that, notwithstanding recent trends, the clean shirt front still contitutes the conceptual standard.

Indeed, these shirts are so attractive precisely because they hew to the established football aesthetic, rather than to latter-day aberrations. As such, the shirts avoid everything that violates the traditional look; they thus eschew not only the team's wordmark, but also goofy side panels, as well as any weird quirky number fonts. 

So you are equating wordmarks which have been around for decades and are a part of a traditional football look, to side panels and quirky number fonts that are fads that recently popped up, or already died out for the most part.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Pros started doing this in the 1990s but colleges and high schools have done this in some manner from the inception of a formalized football uniform. At the beginning you could confuse them for hockey sweaters. Some wordmarks are horrific because of the font, not where they're located.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I also dislike wordmarks on football jerseys..

The jersey is only one part of the uniform, and as such, doesn't need every color, every logo, and every wordmark a team possesses plastered all over it.. The entire uniform should contain enough colors, striping patterns, logos and/or wordmarks to create a recognizable and identifiable aesthetic, but the marketing trend of slapping everything you have onto each jersey because of merchandise is not the recipe for an attractive jersey..

Makes me wish that United were still Nike, because I actually dig this especially Spurs and especially especially Barca. Chelsea's not so much because, as someone said, it's pretty much just a Manning Giants jersey. Yes, Spurs is essentially Penn State, but idk, it really works for me.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

It would be interesting if Nike tried these kind of designs with new NFL uniforms. It looks unique without having any major gimmicks.

That America jersey would make a good fauxback but I wouldn't want a team wearing that design full-time.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived