Oldschoolvikings updates the World Hockey League - Indianapolis Racers added, 3/28/19

oldschoolvikings

OK, I've had tons of fun doing Hockey concepts in my NHL thread (found here... http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/104234-oldschoolvikings-nhl-concepts-flames-concept-added-71418/?page=12

But I feel like I've exhausted the NHL so I've decided to move on the the WHA from back in the 70's.  I'm sure this is something that's been done here quite a bit, but not by my, anyway. Here's a few of the logos;

1528e6c865f59a7aa1480390108786fc.jpg

A few of these teams eventually made it into the NHL, but most are pretty obscure.  I'm going to be choosing them based on which I get an idea for, not on how "deserving" or not each franchise might be. 

And, here we go...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First up, the Minnesota Fighting Saints.  They had two color schemes, red/gold and blue/gold.  Here's a few images;

latest?cb=20140201161709

XS-5XL-Mike-Walton-Ray-McKay-Minnesota-F

I decided to combine the two, and lighten the blue for a more unique color scheme...

(Edited... New image a few posts below)

As always, thoughts are appreciated.

Good start! Couple ideas... need more blue on the Minnesota white jersey; even changing the yoke from red to blue would help. Also the crests are too big. Cincinnati looks neat. Adding gray is a good idea. Definitely outline the crest on the black jersey. It’s barely visible right now. I like the alt jersey... really different but cool in a fauxback way.

12 hours ago, appleclock said:

Good start! Couple ideas... need more blue on the Minnesota white jersey; even changing the yoke from red to blue would help. Also the crests are too big. Cincinnati looks neat. Adding gray is a good idea. Definitely outline the crest on the black jersey. It’s barely visible right now. I like the alt jersey... really different but cool in a fauxback way.

Yeah the crests turned out too big... I  was lazy and didn't bother.  Thought I could get away with it, but you're right... I need to fix it.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:21 AM, appleclock said:

Ok... took your advice on both.  Here is the Stinger' uniform with the blue-gray keyline around the crest thickened;

cincin_zpsunv5xoe4.png?t=1542554753

I tried a white keyline but didn't like it at all.  I thouht that the crest still didn't pop enough, so I lightened the blue-gray just a hair.  Better?

And here is the Saints' uniform with a better sized creast, and a blue yoke on the road... my only concern is now there isn't enough red on the white?

saint_zpsdfsurm5v.png

14 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

that stingers logo on the gray sweater is better in my opinion, maybe make that the primary, or revert back to the og??

I liked that logo, too. The main reason I used the other one is that I thought of it more as an update of the original, with the bee turning into a "c"... maybe I'll give the secondary logo a shot on the other jerseys.

Minnesota's color scheme is interesting but your striping is kinda convoluted, especially on that away. Establishing a clear color hierarchy would help.

The circle crest background doesn't work well with such a detailed logo either.

As for Cincy, love the unis, especially that striped third! My only issue is with the primary "C" logo. The head is awkwardly shaped, and the wings feel kinda tacked on. I like that alternate logo, though!

A good series idea! I look forward to the Aeros!

And the Cleveland Crusaders.  I'm pretty sure that name wouldn't fly today, but I can't pass up a chance to work with purple.

Cleveland_Crusaders.png   12_13599a_lg.jpeg

For this, I'm going out on a limb a bit.  Dumping the black (purple/black is currently overplayed IMO) and trying out a double purple version.  I expect some dislike of this, but, hey... nothing ventured nothing gained.  It is just a concept after all.

crsdrs_zpsmyhxdrqd.png

Denver is the winner so far. That bright orange and gold is so 70s in a good way.

The white Cleveland jersey is suffering from the same problem as the Minnesota white jersey. In this case, too much silver (which is the tertiary color) and not enough purple. Maybe reverse the silver and purple on that jersey?

Archived