Best Logo Refreshes

nash61

8 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The gold lines get lost from a distance; they need black around them.

It’s okay if the gold lines fade into the background, because that’s what keeps the B from being muddied and lost.  Adding black makes too much noise around the B, and a whole lot less legible. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s okay if the gold lines fade into the background, because that’s what keeps the B from being muddied and lost.  Adding black makes too much noise around the B, and a whole lot less legible. 

The better solution would be to have black spokes blending with a black outline on a yellow “B.” If it needs more yellow, add it via an additional outline on the roundel.

Again, I’d call that a downgrade in almost every respect.  I like the new bat shape, and I think it’s a better choice to make the bird on the right cross the bat. But other than that, the elements are just better on the old.  The thinner letters, the more realistically-sized birds, even the color scheme. 

Never realized how bloated and fat the current birds are, until I saw them side-by-side with the old.  How ironic they were introduced during McGwire’s steroid-fueled home run chase, as they’ve obviously been juicing too. 

I'd say it's pretty even for me. Both small and large birds work well on the uniform set, while the thicker type looks a bit more “finished” to me (I can’t really explain why - there are plenty of similar examples I’m not keen on). 

I’ve got a small, but noticeable one from the Royals:

jfrhwrzc0c8ttehyqet1nexmk.gif pvq7v3hb91mflrhxfyfr8ta8g.gif

That top one debuted in 2006. It’s amazing that they could make a script look that shoddy so recently.

36 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This:

1328.png

to this:

0a8uox3r4pny0s4fwf0cf2pxn.png

Though the new birds look a bit suspicious, this is an all time great update because the changes are quite subtle. It’s the same composition, but with a much better attention to detail. The birds are a great combination of illustrative and iconic with a much better proportion and believable form, which is what the previous was going for but never achieved. (This is important here, but irrelevant to the Falcons by comparison because Atlanta was never going for realism) Now, you can actually make out the wings, feather, and tail with just a few lines. Look how the feet grip the bat; really nice detail there compared to the last. And then on to the script. The old script had flaws in consistent weight, letter width, bad kerning (r-d, n-a) and just straight up wonky ness in the line work. It’s still a piece of art i’d Like to see pushed forward even more, but I don’t think there’s ever been a logo that got so much better by such little tweaking. It’s really a lesson in craftsmanship and drawing

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

9 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Though the new birds look a bit suspicious, this is an all time great update because the changes are quite subtle. It’s the same composition, but with a much better attention to detail. The birds are a great combination of illustrative and iconic with a much better proportion and believable form, which is what the previous was going for but never achieved. (This is important here, but irrelevant to the Falcons by comparison because Atlanta was never going for realism) Now, you can actually make out the wings, feather, and tail with just a few lines. Look how the feet grip the bat; really nice detail there compared to the last. And then on to the script. The old script had flaws in consistent weight, letter width, bad kerning (r-d, n-a) and just straight up wonky ness in the line work. It’s still a piece of art i’d Like to see pushed forward even more, but I don’t think there’s ever been a logo that got so much better by such little tweaking. It’s really a lesson in craftsmanship and drawing

Not going to argue with you that updated birds logo is a better logo in many technical aspects. You’re spot on there. It’s drawn better, kerning is better, birds are more realistic, but damnit if I don’t just like the old logo better. The new one is objectively very good. The simpler, smaller birds just scream traditional baseball to me, especially when I think of the logo/word mark being chainstitched on the jerseys. That’s traditional and classic. It just works so well for that style. Also, the updated version is just enormous on the front of the jerseys, I think the birds have gotten too big:

Kolten+Wong+Atlanta+Braves+v+St+Louis+Ca

This is better:

tony-larussa-of-the-st-louis-cardinals-l

But this is best, IMO:

4e7fa91eda3c5.image.jpg

which is actually kind of a hybrid with the modern bird, but with yellow eyes, and the modern updated script, but with the old bat. They wore this version from 1997 until 2013 or 2014? Then they updated the jersey mark to match the actual graphic with the just-a-little-too-big birds.

4 minutes ago, Morgo said:

This...

j5kcZyh.png

To this.  It's not perfect but the teal highlights on the Shark are a massive improvement and the hockey stick looks significantly less ridiculous.

cv9iIiF.png

That’s the rare time when they went back to the original designer and asked him to update it.  I think he did a fantastic job. 

It’s also nice to see that he learned what stick tape was in the intervening years.  Too bad he never realized that the knobs are made out of tape as well.  😛 

19 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

You wouldn’t believe me if I told you. 🙂

As Derek said (and I think I’m remembering this right), that logo was done in house at OSU, and it was out for roughly one day before Rickabaugh (designer of the original?) said something to the effect of, “What are you doing? Give me a couple hours and we can fix this.” The current logo was out within the week.

lgo_ncaa_ohio_state_buckeyes.png

Pretty accurate statement ;)

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s the rare time when they went back to the original designer and asked him to update it.  I think he did a fantastic job. 

It’s also nice to see that he learned what stick tape was in the intervening years.  Too bad he never realized that the knobs are made out of tape as well.  😛 

I think the new one is awful. How is the shark diving into the triangle? At least with the old one, the triangle was like a portal and he is clearly coming forward through it. The new one doesn’t make any sense since he’s in front of the borders on the left, so he isn’t really diving through it, it’s more 2-d / flat, and just defies physics. 

Also the teal and black touching doesn’t work for me in this case. I guess they were going for anime style, but that don’t work for a pro sports logo imho

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

No mention of this? Probably one of the more recent ones and it was done pretty well. 

6786327029_c35d7af00d_o.png

Yep.  That’s a textbook example of a successful update. Bringing the silver down to just the eyes and teeth focuses the attention there. I especially love the lack of a key line; they don’t need one. 

On 11/22/2018 at 1:35 PM, chcarlson23 said:

old_new_logo.JPG

Maybe this should be over at unpopular opinions, but I really like how the ice blue looks in the older logo. The newer one is cleaner in a good way, and the eye is definitely an upgrade, but it feels almost too simple to me.

Archived