Dilbert

Forward Madison FC

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Really, how many logos do they need?

If you ask someone in branding, the answer is probably one, depending on strategy.

If you ask someone in merchandising, then the answer is always (n+1), where n is the number of logos you currently have. 🙂

i think the set of logos is useful, though agreed that one with the floating name outside the containing shape is odd and doesn't seem to add anything. maybe in embroidery applications??. but the identity is pretty "responsive" and i think thats important for a team/brand whose primary logo isnt very "flexible". soccer logos are usually more complex than most logos and that creates a need for the identity to have a variety of  logos for different applications. the apparel pieces dont nearly give an idea what is possible. think of what will go on the jersey, on the hangtag of a shirt, on tickets, on social media avatars, website, or even something as large as signage at the stadium. or even back to the apparel and how many different ways that can be executed. i dont feel the primary logo is good for every thing that is asked of a logo, so the additional pieces is a good strategy. this has been happening in other niches for some time, but i think the future of sports identity will continue to see more of of the "responsive identity" approach.  

I totally get the applications thing.  Makes perfect sense to have that circular version, where a smaller or simpler logo would be helpful.

What seems odd here is that they have two solid logos, and then two logos that are almost identical to those with only minor differences.  I would understand four logos if those four logos gave them maximum flexibility across applications, but I don’t see that here.

Guess we’ll see how they use them in practice. 

The club is currently holding a scarf design contest, and as part of the process they've released their official colors and a couple extra alternate logos.

nEp4nfH.png

"Club 1856" is what they're calling their inaugural season ticket holders.  After the year of the city's incorporation (and also limited to the first 1,856 people to sign up).

Interesting that this slick doesn't include either the "FC"-less version of the logo, or the circular one with the roman numerals.  But it does give us a (clunky) monogram, and the official color palette. 

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The club is currently holding a scarf design contest, and as part of the process they've released their official colors and a couple extra alternate logos.

nEp4nfH.png

"Club 1856" is what they're calling their inaugural season ticket holders.  After the year of the city's incorporation (and also limited to the first 1,856 people to sign up).

Interesting that this slick doesn't include either the "FC"-less version of the logo, or the circular one with the roman numerals.  But it does give us a (clunky) monogram, and the official color palette. 

Strange that they wouldn’t use the signature lettering for the word “club” in the 1856 disc. That main wordmark showcases some questionable kerning as well. The WA pair and the whole first half of “Madison” have a bit too much space.

Yeah, I know.  Kerning is my own personal bugaboo, but it really seems like a lost art sometimes.   Too many designers just use standard spacing for all letters like it's word processing, without regard for how they interact.

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

a couple extra alternate logos

It looks like there might be more coming at some point. Found these online.

DLeTqbO.png

I think they did an amazing job overall, but I would have made a few changes.

RdZCdhQ.png

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

It looks like there might be more coming at some point. Found these online.

DLeTqbO.png

I saw those on Dribble, I just didn’t know if they were legit or not.   They could be fan concepts or unused, prelim designs. 

Love it.   I like what Hummel did with Providence City:

Hummel’s arrows on the sleeves are uniquely appropriate for Forward Madison. 

One of the biggest parks in Metro GB is Voyageur Park. So this name is more than just a "hey... some history." I love that it actually sounds like the name of a team with 19th or early 20th century roots. Great colors too... Lambeau era Packers is the perfect identity for such a team!

Now can we fix the damn Milwaukee Torrent? And maybe find them a venue closer to the meat and potatoes of MKE County's soccer fandom near the lakeshore?

Agreed.  As nice as it is for my kids to walk from the game home to their grandmother’s in the summer, Hart Park is not a great location for reaching the city.    And the name/logo... woof. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  As nice as it is for my kids to walk from the game home to their grandmother’s in the summer, Hart Park is not a great location for reaching the city.    And the name/logo... woof. 

It's kind of unfathomable to me that despite their dealings with minor league sports (the Admirals) and hosting pro soccer at Miller Park, that the Brewers don't try to fill some empty dates with their own USL club.  I think it'd be insanely successful.  

That stairway of letters is very bad.

Mega threads are cool, but they don’t replace or exempt single-issue threads.  Especially for something like a primary logo. 

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Mega threads are cool, but they don’t replace or exempt single-issue threads.  Especially for something like a primary logo. 

Fair enough, but we're discussing the Green Bay logo in the Forward Madison FC page. 

8 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Fair enough, but we're discussing the Green Bay logo in the Forward Madison FC page. 

Then let's send everybody over to the Green Bay Voyageurs logo thread until Madison unveils its uniforms.  ;)