Cleveland Indians Unveil New Uniform, Cap for 2019

VDizzle12

I think getting rid of the classic navy-with-red-script alternate was a big mistake. That one goes back to 1995. Both colored jerseys that replace it are worse and lack brand equity, which is in short supply for the Indians.

The monogram still needs an outline. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

That script is legit the ONLY thing about this set that’s even remotely interesting. Every single other element is bland garbage. You ditch that, you might as well mine the few memories I have of the Indians from my collective conscious because they’re literally not even worth remembering.

And if it weren't "borrowed" from the Braves?  I'd agree with you.  But damnit, be at least a little original in your branding.

nav-logo.png

If the Indians really wanted to do something with a boring script and no Wahoo, then 80s-style racing stripes on the sleeves would be a cool way to go. 

The script in the 80s wasn't interesting. But the racing stripes added some flair (insert Office_Space.gif)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Really odd what they did with the blue jersey. I'm not opposed to using the "CLEVELAND" mark but ditching the piping just seems odd. 

The block "C" is fine. No complaints. I'd prefer they use a wishbone with the script marks or switch full time to the block "INDIANS" but its fine. Personally I really hate the "Caveman" style so the block design is better than nothing. 

4 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

If I had but five wishes left that could be fulfilled before I died, one would be that the Cleveland Indians abandon that ****ing Atlanta Braves-like "Indians" script for all time.  Ugh.

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

And if it weren't "borrowed" from the Braves?  I'd agree with you.  But damnit, be at least a little original in your branding.

As I am unaware, can you explain the "borrowed" thing? Because other than both being cursive, the Indians and Braves have very different scripts. And both teams have ties to these scripts that go back the better part of a century. If anything, the Indians would have to be borrowing from the Boston Braves.

Other than being cursive it's not even close to looking like a Braves knockoff. To me, a knockoff suggests confusion over each look. To be fair though, the 1995 series did look like a spring training game with similar hats in Cleveland.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

If the Indians really wanted to do something with a boring script and no Wahoo, then 80s-style racing stripes on the sleeves would be a cool way to go. 

The script in the 80s wasn't interesting. But the racing stripes added some flair (insert Office_Space.gif)

They'd either need plain pants or matching racing stripes as well.

13 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The new blue jersey really shows how white outlines makes them look like the Red Sox

Since Boston's not in their division no one will really notice the similarities unless they both wearcthem in the same game. That jersey also shows that MLB seems to be following the NBA model of 4-5 unis per team before they even get to the special occasion uniforms. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The simplicity of the road script doesn't really lend itself to being anything but a traditional grey road script. It doesn't make sense to transfer it to a colored uniform. Something about it here just feels so obligatory, right?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

34 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

As I am unaware, can you explain the "borrowed" thing? Because other than both being cursive, the Indians and Braves have very different scripts. And both teams have ties to these scripts that go back the better part of a century. If anything, the Indians would have to be borrowing from the Boston Braves.

33 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Other than being cursive it's not even close to looking like a Braves knockoff. To me, a knockoff suggests confusion over each look. To be fair though, the 1995 series did look like a spring training game with similar hats in Cleveland.

Go look at the general uniform histories of the Braves and Indians dating back the past 70 years.  If after that you don't see what I'm referring to, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to explain it clearly enough for you to understand it.  Suffice to say the Indians and Braves have a history of putting together a similar general look.

nav-logo.png

Go look at the general uniform histories of the Braves and Indians dating back the past 70 years.  If after that you don't see what I'm referring to, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to explain it clearly enough for you to understand it.  Suffice to say the Indians and Braves have a history of putting together a similar general look.

Baseball tends to follow the same aesthetics. The same can be said of every team with red in the SEC. At one time or another they all looked like Alabama. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Their road uniforms continue to be the most lifeless boring look in all of major sports.

Their home jersey is still solid, but that cap is dragging the look down badly.  Just one outline on the cap logo would help this look so much.

32 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m just hoping they get rid of nameplates in favor of direct-sewn NoB’s. Cleveland and the Rays need to get with the rest of the majors (save the Yankees) in that regard.

Uni Watch October 18, 2018

"Chief Wahoo isn’t the only thing the Indians are leaving behind next season. A little birdie tells me they’re going to stop using nameplates and switch to direct-sewn NOB lettering. Ditto for the Rays."

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Archived