Cleveland Indians Unveil New Uniform, Cap for 2019

VDizzle12

These uniforms are okay but I feel like they just need a redesign at this point. There is a disconnect in their brand. I completely understand why Wahoo is gone, however, the script Indians set just looks weird when not paired with Wahoo. It looks like they’ve got a 1950s throwback cap paired with a modern jersey. I think they either need to go all in on the retro look and commit to something in the vein of their road set (rather boring) or come up with something new and fresh altogether. It’s just not working, in my opinion.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

The Ohio flag is RWB (and kinda unique). The Indians should make that the Wahoo replacing sleeve patch in 2020. 

Except for the Reds.  I don’t like one team claiming the state over another. 

Cleveland flag, sure.  That’s RWB as well. 

1280px-Flag_of_Cleveland,_Ohio.svg.png

4 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

These uniforms are okay but I feel like they just need a redesign at this point. There is a disconnect in their brand. I completely understand why Wahoo is gone, however, the script Indians set just looks weird when not paired with Wahoo. It looks like they’ve got a 1950s throwback cap paired with a modern jersey. I think they either need to go all in on the retro look and commit to something in the vein of their road set (rather boring) or come up with something new and fresh altogether. It’s just not working, in my opinion.

I have a feeling we'll get that next year with a full rebrand rather than them taking away and adding elements. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

The Ohio flag is RWB (and kinda unique). The Indians should make that the Wahoo replacing sleeve patch in 2020. 

Cleveland doesn't have Ohio to itself. Maybe they could get away with it if Cleveland were the state capital, but it isn't. And the city flag isn't exactly fertile ground for iconography, either. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

Cleveland doesn't have Ohio to itself. Maybe they could get away with it if Cleveland were the state capital, but it isn't. And the city flag isn't exactly fertile ground for iconography, either. 

This is why I hate the Rangers using the Texas flag instead of the sheriff badge.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Except for the Reds.  I don’t like one team claiming the state over another. 

Cleveland flag, sure.  That’s RWB as well. 

1280px-Flag_of_Cleveland,_Ohio.svg.png

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Rangers do it and sure the Astros had the state of Texas at one time. Nothing would be stopping the Reds from incorporating something.

i looked at the Cleveland flag, and while it is RWB too, it is pretty boring as it looks too much like France. 

Just now, Brandon9485 said:

The Rangers do it and sure the Astros had the state of Texas at one time. Nothing would be stopping the Reds from incorporating something.

i looked at the Cleveland flag, and while it is RWB too, it is pretty boring as it looks

too much like France. 

They could just leave the sleeve bare. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If you absolutely have to have something on the sleeve, you may as well use the American League logo -- in the absence of anything Indian-related, you can play up that you're a charter member of the league under one name or another.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Yeah, this is how I see it too.  I think that the Wahoo lovers might not miss it as much if it wasn't just obviously covered over with the C.  A full redesign to a look that was never associated with Wahoo would help a lot.  I don't think cap monograms need to match jersey scripts, but in this case, it wouldn't hurt if the thing that's replacing Wahoo looks like it was designed specifically for the uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If you absolutely have to have something on the sleeve, you may as well use the American League logo -- in the absence of anything Indian-related, you can play up that you're a charter member of the league under one name or another.

Just have an anniversary patch for every year.  No reason why you can't celebrate anniversaries more than every 5 or 10 years.

A 117th Anniversary patch would be... unique.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah, this is how I see it too.  I think that the Wahoo lovers might not miss it as much if it wasn't just obviously covered over with the C.  A full redesign to a look that was never associated with Wahoo would help a lot.  I don't think cap monograms need to match jersey scripts, but in this case, it wouldn't hurt if the thing that's replacing Wahoo looks like it was designed specifically for the uniform.

Agree completely. It’s very apparent that the C cap was their quick fix to the Wahoo problem and not originally intended to be worn with the script Indians set. The cries for Wahoo got loud enough that they threw their hands up and said, “I guess we’ve got to do something now, take that other cap we’ve got...both are navy and red Indians caps so that should work.”

It reminds me how college teams are always swapping out their helmet decals and often doing throwback logos. The problem is they often pair these throwback looks with their current day uniforms and then you’ve got a mashup of eras and it never looks good.

knxv%20manny%20wilkins%20arizona%20state

2 hours ago, Kaz said:

Their road uniforms continue to be the most lifeless boring look in all of major sports.

"Thanks, bro." (Wipes brow)
--Brooklyn Nets

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

6 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Go look at the general uniform histories of the Braves and Indians dating back the past 70 years.  If after that you don't see what I'm referring to, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to explain it clearly enough for you to understand it.  Suffice to say the Indians and Braves have a history of putting together a similar general look.

I thought there might be a story I didn't know or a clear example, since "borrowed" was in quotes. If you go back 70 years, you'd be talking the World Series between the Boston Braves and the Indians. Obviously they are both navy and red Native-inspired teams, so there's plenty of similarity, but the scripts are different and Cleveland has a history of using a block font on the road. Both sets are the templates that inspire the current look of each teams. So, genuine question, did one come first and the other quickly followed?

9056d8d4416c407f8a5c4549256633a9-780x621

5 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I thought there might be a story I didn't know or a clear example, since "borrowed" was in quotes. If you go back 70 years, you'd be talking the World Series between the Boston Braves and the Indians. Obviously they are both navy and red Native-inspired teams, so there's plenty of similarity, but the scripts are different and Cleveland has a history of using a block font on the road. Both sets are the templates that inspire the current look of each teams. So, genuine question, did one come first and the other quickly followed?

9056d8d4416c407f8a5c4549256633a9-780x621

"Don't look at the hole in the donut.  Look at the whole donut."  -- Gabe Paul

nav-logo.png

4 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

"Don't look at the hole in the donut.  Look at the whole donut."  -- Gabe Paul

So you don't want to back up your argument? I'm not even saying you're wrong I just don't know where you got your opinion other than assumption. Maybe you're right but can you cite anything beyond "just look!" or whatever?

4 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

So you don't want to back up your argument? I'm not even saying you're wrong I just don't know where you got your opinion other than assumption. Maybe you're right but can you cite anything beyond "just look!" or whatever?

There are some things you can't adequately explain; you just know them when you see them.  I'm not going to defend the position.  If you think differently?  That's fine.  I just see a lot of similarities historically between the Braves and Indians, particularly where the scripts are concerned.  If you don't?  That's fine.

nav-logo.png

29 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

There are some things you can't adequately explain; you just know them when you see them.  I'm not going to defend the position.  If you think differently?  That's fine.  I just see a lot of similarities historically between the Braves and Indians, particularly where the scripts are concerned.  If you don't?  That's fine.

What were the similarities in the 70s and 80s?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

LOL alright.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

What were the similarities in the 70s and 80s?

"Mac the Knife said:

There are some things you can't adequately explain; you just know them when you see them.  I'm not going to defend the position.  If you think differently?  That's fine.  I just see a lot of similarities historically between the Braves and Indians, particularly where the scripts are concerned.  If you don't?  That's fine."

In the 1970's and 1980's each team looked nothing alike. The Indians went with the "blood clot" red uniforms in the mid-70's and the Braves used the script they currently have, though they changed to a lighter blue. Here's a full look at the 1948 uniforms for both teams though. The scripts don't match up 100% and the stirrups and jersey trim is different as well. Notice one color piping on the home or the away uniforms for the Indians and RNR for the Braves. These were followed by a new home jersey that cut off the swoosh and changed the font, vests in the 1960's and then the polyester age that enveloped everyone in the 1970s to 1980's before switching to racing stripes from 1989-1993. Colors tend to be the unifying factor, not the uniform or font design.

1948_cleveland.gifImage result for boston braves uniforms 1948

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived