Cleveland Indians Unveil New Uniform, Cap for 2019

VDizzle12

The Indians and Braves both have Native-themed names and both wear red, white, and blue. Considering the inherently limited nature of designing a baseball uniform? There is going to be some overlap. 

I’m not seeing anything that suggests they were running parallel to each other though. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

What's the difference between the Dodgers wearing a cursive wordmark with block letters on the cap and the Indians doing it?

Absoutely nothing. I said in my list that caps and jerseys don’t need to match in baseball. 

Its just tbag that the jersey is associated with the wahoo cap, so simply replacing it - with ANYTHING - is just a constant reminder that Wahoo is gone. 

if they do a full redesign, then it’s probably better (but not mandatory) to integrate the cap logo with the jersey, so it doesn’t look like anything is missing. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, Mac the Knife said:

And if it weren't "borrowed" from the Braves?  I'd agree with you.  But damnit, be at least a little original in your branding.

The Indians first used an "Indians" script on their home jerseys in 1946. The Braves first used a "Braves" script on their home jerseys in... 1946.

The Indians wore script from 1946 through 1957, recording 10 straight winning seasons, winning 90 games seven times, winning two pennants and a World Series, and notching nine other seasons where they finished closer than 10 games back of first place.

From 1958 through 1993, when the Tribe didn't wear script, they recorded eight total seasons with a winning record, never won 90 games, and finished within 10 games of first place once (in 1959).

It's a much easier explanation that, in 1994, the Indians chose a uniform style that reflected the franchise's golden age (particularly when the club had been so bereft of any success in the 35-40 years since they pivoted away from a script jersey) than because they wanted to "borrow" a uniform element from another club.

All of this ignores that the two scripts are rendered in very different styles.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't see any connection between Cleveland's script and the Braves.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've never once thought that the Braves and Indians scripts were similar.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't see any connection between Cleveland's script and the Braves.

True. The latter performed a beautiful modernization of the classic script (in both print and jersey styles):

8426481953.gifaiyl0lgbzj5eajhgvgezwpie9.gif

The former gave into the “uncanny valley”/bulbous aesthetic of the Phillies’ contemporary redesign, resulting in a downgrade. I’m using the 1940s and 1950s variants of the Cleveland script, to illustrate the separate influences:

5736031946.gif

2258.gif

h9835cwgwshw96hholh6iep1p.gif

Also, the Braves made a better attempt at a matching road script.

5175942018.gif

xg54smtpcah5k27agoyxzlrfi.gif

I’d say they’re fairly different.

• 5 months later...

The day they dropped wahoo and put the all star patch on their uniforms I started referring to them as the Cleveland Guitars.  Because quite frankly they look like they are a team named after guitars now.  Indians script without wahoo just seems weird and disjointed.  Its time for a complete rebrand from native american imagery.  I am hoping that this uniform is a stop gap to something much better in 2020. 

1 hour ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

The day they dropped wahoo and put the all star patch on their uniforms I started referring to them as the Cleveland Guitars.  Because quite frankly they look like they are a team named after guitars now.  Indians script without wahoo just seems weird and disjointed.  Its time for a complete rebrand from native american imagery.  I am hoping that this uniform is a stop gap to something much better in 2020. 

2 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Don't hold your breath. Something like Spokane or Indianapolis might happen but we're likely not seeing the Indians change their name. What makes it worse is the C is so lifeless. 

Nike will probably roll out a completely new uniform next year. Probably not a new nickname though as long as the Dolans own the team. I have thought the Earls, for Earl Averill, could be a great new identity.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

I still think of them as the Indians, probably because their shirts have the word "INDIANS" on them in big letters. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I still think of them as the Indians, probably because their shirts have the word "INDIANS" on them in big letters. 

You're a goddamn madman, Admiral.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Nike will probably roll out a completely new uniform next year. Probably not a new nickname though as long as the Dolans own the team. I have thought the Earls, for Earl Averill, could be a great new identity.

And the Dolan's says that they wouldn't get rid of Wahoo, yet here we are.

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of the block C and the block Cleveland. It just looks bad(IMHO). I'm hoping for new uniforms with Nike, and bring back the script Cleveland and the script I.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

The block Cleveland would be fine if it were in red, preferably a deeper red with midnight blue. Usually I like for home and road scripts to match when they can (the Mets get my goat when a New York script that resembles the home script would look, and has looked, so good), but there's enough of a historical precedent that I'll allow it for the Indians, and you may as well get stuck in the past for a team called the Indians.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

The block Cleveland would be fine if it were in red, preferably a deeper red with midnight blue. Usually I like for home and road scripts to match when they can (the Mets get my goat when a New York script that resembles the home script would look, and has looked, so good), but there's enough of a historical precedent that I'll allow it for the Indians, and you may as well get stuck in the past for a team called the Indians.

The Indians' identity has been an interesting mis-match for years, really.

An arched "Cleveland" text was introduced the road jersey in 1903, and continued through 1957 — but the home jersey never matched it in that span, going from a "C" on the chest through 1945 to script "Indians" starting in 1957.

Then from 1958 through 2010, the home and road designs matched, whatever that was.

Obviously, the 2011 shift to the block road jerseys was meant to evoke the early Tribe road jerseys — particularly the ones worn in the late '40s and early '50s when the Indians were actually good — but they screwed up with the navy lettering. I wish they'd fix it. Gaudy "patriotism" aside, I thought the Indians' road jerseys looked much better last year for the Stars & Stripes jerseys.

Fill those letters/numbers in red and pair it with a navy hat (with red bill, ideally), and that set's a lot better almost instantly.

991194174.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

6fQjS3M.png

11 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

And the Dolan's says that they wouldn't get rid of Wahoo, yet here we are.

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of the block C and the block Cleveland. It just looks bad(IMHO). I'm hoping for new uniforms with Nike, and bring back the script Cleveland and the script I.

I am not a fan either and never will be.  I might be in the minority but all well.  And yes I am hoping that this is just a stop gap until NIKE gets involved.  Anything is better than a block C as an identity.  

14 hours ago, walkerws said:

Don't hold your breath. Something like Spokane or Indianapolis might happen but we're likely not seeing the Indians change their name. What makes it worse is the C is so lifeless. 

I agree!  Very lifeless.  I was in favor on no changes to the indians identity which is not a popular opinion on here but all well.  If they are going to change logos at least come up with something better than a block C right?  I would be in favor of something along the lines of an Indianapolis Indians or Spokane for a change.  It would also be good for a change if the Dolans would set up dialogue with a tribe like the University of Utah and Florida State have done for the nike rebrand.  

Archived