2018-19 NCAA FBS Coaching Changes Thread

dfwabel

• 3 weeks later...

How the hell can someone accept a job and start working, then quit and go to another school less than a month later?

id choose Miami over temple too, and I won’t begrudge a guy for pouncing on his dream job, but he really sodomized temple and set their orogram back. I really hope they’re being compensated for this mess. 

The thing is that it’s not a bad job anymore. Since they’re not big 5 or whatever it’ll always be a stepping stone job (another reason the arrogance of those schools towards UCF aggravates me since they’re the rich holding the poor down) but there are far worse. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How the hell can someone accept a job and start working, then quit and go to another school less than a month later?

id choose Miami over temple too, and I won’t begrudge a guy for pouncing on his dream job, but he really sodomized temple and set their orogram back. I really hope they’re being compensated for this mess. 

The thing is that it’s not a bad job anymore. Since they’re not big 5 or whatever it’ll always be a stepping stone job (another reason the arrogance of those schools towards UCF aggravates me since they’re the rich holding the poor down) but there are far worse. 

This occurs in the NFL and within college basketball much more often than you think,

Parcells, Belichek, and McDaniels all accepted jobs only to quit (Bucs, Jets, and Colts respectively)

NCAA hoops has the every few years:

2016: Chris Beard took the UNLV job for 19 days and left to coach Texas Tech

2012: Creighton's Dana Altman left for Arkansas, was introduced at a press conference and 24 hours later went back to Creighton

2007: Billy Donovan was the Orlando Magic coach for a day before returning to Florida

2002: Dan Dakish took the WVU job for 24 hours before returning to Bowling Green

On 12/31/2018 at 9:10 AM, dfwabel said:

This occurs in the NFL and within college basketball much more often than you think,

Parcells, Belichek, and McDaniels all accepted jobs only to quit (Bucs, Jets, and Colts respectively)

NCAA hoops has the every few years:

2016: Chris Beard took the UNLV job for 19 days and left to coach Texas Tech

2012: Creighton's Dana Altman left for Arkansas, was introduced at a press conference and 24 hours later went back to Creighton

2007: Billy Donovan was the Orlando Magic coach for a day before returning to Florida

2002: Dan Dakish took the WVU job for 24 hours before returning to Bowling Green

Not even a day - 7 hours. The official announcement was around 10 AM, and he stepped down to go back to Florida at around 5 PM. It was all over the news that day - first we hire a Florida coach as our new HC, then he decides against it.

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, See Red said:

Kliff Kingsbury might resign as USC OC because USC is blocking NFL teams from interviewing him.

If he's got a contract, wouldn't resigning still bar him from taking another job until it expires?

I figured most - if not all - NCAA coaches had NFL clauses in their contracts, or at least buyouts that NFL (or in the case of the Miami coach) other college teams would pay.

Doesn't make a lot of sense for a NCAA team to force someone to coach that doesn't really want to be there - especially if they could get a few million dollars into their program (though it'd be nice if occasionally even $100 went to an academic program.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If he's got a contract, wouldn't resigning still bar him from taking another job until it expires?

I figured most - if not all - NCAA coaches had NFL clauses in their contracts, or at least buyouts that NFL (or in the case of the Miami coach) other college teams would pay.

Doesn't make a lot of sense for a NCAA team to force someone to coach that doesn't really want to be there - especially if they could get a few million dollars into their program (though it'd be nice if occasionally even $100 went to an academic program.)

Kingsbury can buyout the USC contract with the $4M+ he received from being fired by Texas Tech on November 26.  It's an assistant level contract, so at most, this is a $1M contract, with a buyout in the small six figures.  College football's highest paid OC is Michigan's Pep Hamilton, whose buyout is just $150K.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Kingsbury can buyout the USC contract with the $4M+ he received from being fired by Texas Tech on November 26.  It's an assistant level contract, so at most, this is a $1M contract, with a buyout in the small six figures.  College football's highest paid OC is Michigan's Pep Hamilton, whose buyout is just $150K.

Michigan's OC is the highest paid in college football?  That seems like money wasted.

IUe6Hvh.png

31 minutes ago, See Red said:

Michigan's OC is the highest paid in college football?  That seems like money wasted.

He is.

It is.

Harbaugh has final call in terms of playcalling.

And DC Don Brown has a higher buyout at $250K.

EDIT:  No staff changes are expected unless guys leave on their own.  $hit, they're comfortable with their salary, schools, and the area, none of them guys are gonna leave unless the money is ridiculous.  

I know it's more of an NFL rumor, but the college implications are way more interesting.  Anyways, not that anything will come of it, but the Bucs are interested in talking with Kirby Smart.  The problem for them is that Kirby Smart already makes as much as the 5th or 6th highest paid NFL coach and probably has a massive buyout, which would make for a huge investment for someone relatively unproven.  Fisher's name has come up too, with the same hurdles.

IUe6Hvh.png

8 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Temple hires NIU's Rod Carey....for today.

“I told Dr. Kraft as we were going through this to put whatever buyout you want,” Carey said. “That is not important to me.”

So they did - buyout is $10M for the first two years, then $8M for the next two.  He's ain't goin' nowhere.

Archived