Instant Classic (Uniform Disaster)

DeFrank

Image result for rams chiefs instant classic

The Rams-Chiefs game from November 2018 will be remembered as one of the regular season's all-time greats. That being said, the Rams were outfitted in their gaudy color rush uniforms. To me, gold pants and socks made this an ugly, ugly game. The lighting didn't help either. Washed-out photos actually make the head-to-toe gold pretty cool, but that's not the reality of the situation. 

What are some other iconic sports moments that have been marred (in our uni-centric minds) by bad alternates or other unfortunate visual issues?

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Image result for rams chiefs instant classic

The Rams-Chiefs game from November 2018 will be remembered as one of the regular season's all-time greats. That being said, the Rams were outfitted in their gaudy color rush uniforms. To me, gold pants and socks made this an ugly, ugly game. The lighting didn't help either. Washed-out photos actually make the head-to-toe gold pretty cool, but that's not the reality of the situation. 

What are some other iconic sports moments that have been marred (in our uni-centric minds) by bad alternates or other unfortunate visual issues?

I respectfully disagree.  Athletic Gold with navy highlights looks awesome and it screams SoCal.  I’d switch to navy socks and make this the primary uniform with blue jerseys and white pants to mix it up occasionally. 

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Let's just be grateful that the Chiefs weren't in their mono-red jerseys as well. The game would have been none other than a battle of condiments.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I think there's been a thread like this before? Mainly because so many of us bitched about the Cavs' championship moment being ruined by sleeves.

gty_540016470.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

I respectfully disagree.  Athletic Gold with navy highlights looks awesome and it screams SoCal.  I’d switch to navy socks and make this the primary uniform with blue jerseys and white pants to mix it up occasionally. 

In football, wearing a shirt and pants of the same colour is always wrong, unless that colour is white.  Make the pants blue, and you have a winning Rams combination.

About the question: 

I was lucky enough to be present for the Newark Bears' first Atlantic League championship in 2002, and I even got to meet their owner, the incomparable Richard Aldo Cerone.  But I was disappointed to see that the Bears were wearing their Newark Eagles alternates. 

This was a uniform that they wore every Sunday in honour of Newark's former Negro League team.  Even though the historical basis justified the use of an Eagles-related alt, the jersey was an ahistoric black, instead of the white of the actual Eagles' jersey. 

Image result for "newark eagles" uniform   Image result for 2002 newark bears

At any rate, in the championship series the Bears should have worn their primary uniform.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Red Sox World Series win this year comes to mind. 

Also, I said this many times, but if the Rams remove the white stripe from their Color Rush Alt, it would look like even better. The contrasting white takes away from the rest of the uni. 

i have to disagree. i thought last nights game was the uniform matchup of the week and i loathe Color Rush on the whole. but the all white Chiefs v all yella Rams had enough contrast to distinguish the teams and i actually like that Rams CR uni. the matchup is bright and energetic, the perfect combination for that particular game i thought only enhanced by the lights and stains from real grass. i would love for the Rams to pair blue and/or white pants with that jersey, but this will be one of my favorites of the year

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

30 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i have to disagree. i thought last nights game was the uniform matchup of the week and i loathe Color Rush on the whole. but the all white Chiefs v all yella Rams had enough contrast to distinguish the teams and i actually like that Rams CR uni. the matchup is bright and energetic, the perfect combination for that particular game i thought only enhanced by the lights and stains from real grass. i would love for the Rams to pair blue and/or white pants with that jersey, but this will be one of my favorites of the year

All yellow/gold is gross. I’d be right there with you calling it the uni matchup of the week if the Rams wore white pants, but they didn’t so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In football, wearing a shirt and pants of the same colour is always wrong, unless that colour is white.  Make the pants blue, and you have a winning Rams combination.

I must again respectfully disagree.  There's nothing inherently wrong with monochrome jerseys and pants.  It's just often poorly executed with bad striping patterns and sock choices.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

EVERY TOM BRADY SUPER BOWL.

My contempt for that turn of the century collection of piping and bad fonts burns with the fire of a thousand suns. 

20160203_102521_SB_XXXVI_39.jpg?w=555

The font is fine. The piping and paneling never really looked good from Day 1. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Mitch B said:

I must again respectfully disagree.  There's nothing inherently wrong with monochrome jerseys and pants.  It's just often poorly executed with bad striping patterns and sock choices.

No, it's pretty much always bad.. There may be exceptions, but they are few and far between 

18 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

No, it's pretty much always bad.. There may be exceptions, but they are few and far between 

Gonna have to disagree, I find most pant and shirt matches good matches, it’s when you pair it with the same color socks it can take away from the look, but most of the time it’s looks fairly good, especially in this case. Those all yellows are some of the best in the league, should definitely be promoted.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived