Instant Classic (Uniform Disaster)

DeFrank

1 minute ago, BellaSpurs said:

Gonna have to disagree, I find most pant and shirt matches good matches, it’s when you pair it with the same color socks it can take away from the look, but most of the time it’s looks fairly good, especially in this case. Those all yellows are some of the best in the league, should definitely be promoted.

In general, it looks like trash.. I actually don't mind the Rams uniform in question, but rarely is it ever a team's best option

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

In general, it looks like trash.. I actually don't mind the Rams uniform in question, but rarely is it ever a team's best option

I would also put the blue uniforms up their too, i really like them both, but I don’t understand the hate for the all yellow.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Just imagine what a marvelous match-up of contrasting uniforms this game could have been: KC in their primary road red helmet/white jersey/red pants/white socks vs. LAR in their classic throwback blue (albeit navy) helmet/blue jersey/yellow pants/blue socks. Oddly enoughas peculiar as this may soundI have not been able to find even one photographic example of this particular occurrence, including preseason, taking place at any time during NFL history! Therefore, I must further pensively ponder, thus beseech the following inquisitive inquiry: Has it EVER happened? If not, that seems extremely strange, plus boggles the mind as to how it continues somehow being avoided.

1 hour ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

Just imagine what a marvelous match-up of contrasting uniforms this game could have been: KC in their primary road red helmet/white jersey/red pants/white socks vs. LAR in their classic throwback blue (albeit navy) helmet/blue jersey/yellow pants/blue socks. Oddly enoughas peculiar as this may soundI have not been able to find even one photographic example of this particular occurrence, including preseason, taking place at any time during NFL history! Therefore, I must further pensively ponder, thus beseech the following inquisitive inquiry: Has it EVER happened? If not, that seems extremely strange, plus boggles the mind as to how it continues somehow being avoided.

The Chiefs have never worn red pants against the classic Rams look according to the Gridiron Uniform Database.

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=head-to-head&team_id_a=KC&team_id_b=LAR

bSLCtu2.png

Even before the Rams-Chiefs I thought that that was a game that should look amazing. The Rams in the throwbacks and Chiefs in red pants would have been a hell of an aesthetically pleasing game.

I'm a gold jersey apologist (yay Preds), but I need the Rams in white pants with blue-gold-blue striping to really prove my point. That with the Chiefs in red pants would have been orgasmic.

16 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm going to go with "because" which works for me.

8 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

That's not a real answer though. Even "history/tradition" would work better, though it'd still be pretty arbitrary. 

Honestly, I wonder how true this would be for me. I feel like all-white is like any other mono set where there's a better option and the mono option is acceptable at best. The Chiefs are the perfect example for this. All-red and all-white both work just fine but are inferior to red-white or white-red.

5 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:
17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In football, wearing a shirt and pants of the same colour is always wrong, unless that colour is white.  Make the pants blue, and you have a winning Rams combination.

Why is white an exception?

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm going to go with "because" which works for me.

Honestly, "because" is the right answer, because it's so damn obvious.

But, if you really want to press it, the reason is that white is neutral and is part of every team's colour palette. What's more, a team in all-white uniforms always looks dignified and professional; whereas, a team in any other solid colour looks juvenile and clownish. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

18 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Image result for rams chiefs instant classic

The Rams-Chiefs game from November 2018 will be remembered as one of the regular season's all-time greats. That being said, the Rams were outfitted in their gaudy color rush uniforms. To me, gold pants and socks made this an ugly, ugly game. The lighting didn't help either. Washed-out photos actually make the head-to-toe gold pretty cool, but that's not the reality of the situation. 

What are some other iconic sports moments that have been marred (in our uni-centric minds) by bad alternates or other unfortunate visual issues?

The Chiefs look great in every combo except red-red. The Rams should be wearing white pants with the stripe color switched accordingly (and blue socks) but other than that I love their yellow (not gold) uniform and hope it's the basis for their upcoming redesign. There was nothing horrid about this matchup. Put the Rams in white pants and blue socks and it's probably top 5 for the entire season, for me personally.

18 hours ago, Pengin. said:

The Red Sox World Series win this year comes to mind. 

Also, I said this many times, but if the Rams remove the white stripe from their Color Rush Alt, it would look like even better. The contrasting white takes away from the rest of the uni. 

Totally agree. All I kept looking at was the random white stripe on the pants.

I really think the rams would be onto something if they pair a gold jersey like this with their standard white pants and blue socks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Why is white an exception?

Because it’s traditional, and that’s the only acceptable look. /s

Personally, I find monochrome to be ok with contrasting socks (although it still depends on the uniform). However, despite this being a terrible reason, all-white just “works” for me (although with colored socks - the Jets’ all-white look would be 10x better with the green socks instead of white).

ExJworW.png

I think the most obvious are the Cavs and Cubs winning it all in their alts.  I happen to love the Cavs primaries from that year, but either way, a black sleeved jersey with a giant logo in place of a wordmark is sad to see in that moment.  And sure, the Cubs don't have all-time classic road uniforms, but seeing the blue pajama top celebrate a title seems off for any team and a historic team like the Cubs should be doing that in gray.

The other one is Oregon in the national title game in "Look at Nike" uniforms that did not display school colors.  This would be more tragic* had they won that game.

I don't think a lot of the other examples (Patriots and other teams who have primaries that are not exactly their best look) really hold a candle to these.  Sure, I wish the Eagles had won a Super Bowl in kelly and silver, but their primaries are what they are...the Cubs, Cavs, and Oregon chose to look less like themselves on a given (huge) day.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived