Sun League - A Floridian Baseball Branding Project

raysox

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, raysox said:

FUN RAYSOX FACT: in 7th grade gifted class, we had a year long biography project where we did 12 or so projects based on a famous person in history. Yours truly was PT Barnum! I learned a lot and glanced over all the animal cruelty and profiting off deformities obviously.

After Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey merged in the early 1900s, Ringling moved their head quarters to their winter home city of Sarasota, Florida. There's a museum there, had a clown college, and that's mostly what Sarasota is known for. As I linked before, AstroBull suggested it on twitter. It felt like the right call to use that name. I just needed to figure out how to brand that. 

This is the most Brandiose logo I ever made.

Sun League team 5 of 10: Sarasota Ringmasters

Ringmasters-01.png

Funny... when I think of Sarasota, I think of a different type of "Ringmaster" who hailed from there and also had a baseball career.  OOOOOOH YEAHHH... DIG IT!!!

I'm really enjoying this series thus far! My thoughts:

League Logo - It's a wonderfully minimalist baseball-sun design. I like it.

Choco Sox - I love the rendering of the socks, as well as the classy font. The double brown shades work effectively for the logo, while the yellow pinstripes and brown jersey are a fantastic touch.

Spikes - I really like the color scheme (double green!) and stegosaurus rendering, as it conveys whimsy without Bradios-ity. My one nitpick would be that the lines on the dino's cap a bit too thin, but that's a tiny complaint.

Fly Boys - The neon signage-style lettering and logos are top-notch (bonus points for a unique take on blue/red), with the drop shadow on the numbers being a welcome addition. My one issues with the set is that I'd try to make the home and road set consistent (arched w/ secondary fly, or straight w/o fly). Still, nice work.

Jaguarundi - That color scheme and jaguarundi rendering (which is the right balance between cartoonish and aggressive) are fantastic. I like the "clawmark-O," as well as the font and its inner shadow. While it wouldn't be a major-league identity, it would be a solid MiLB look.

Ringmasters - The color scheme is a fantastic take on black/red, while the shadowing works well with the font (Friz Quadrata, IIRC). The updates really improved the look. My only critiques would be to switch the shadow on the road jersey to tan (to match the primary logo rendering) and to tweak the hands of the lion (as @Griffinmarlins described). Good work!

Bog Hogs - That warthog rendering, along with the font, are stellar. The grey jersey with black pinstripes is lovely. I'd agree with @walkerws about narrowing the "W" fangs and @coco1997 about matching the numbers to the wordmarks, but these are minor complaints. Fantastic!

I can't wait to see more.

Text-Manatees.jpg

This team was always around, and then they weren't. They moved to Kissimmie and became the Fire Frogs. The stadium was open, and it wouldn't feel right to have a new team there.

I just decided to use the color scheme from their inception to 2001.

Sun League team 7 of 10: Brevard County Manatees

Brevard-County-Manatees-01.png

Brevard-County-Uniforms-01.png

Text-Currents.jpg

One thing that Ft. Myers has is the winter home of Thomas Edison. While that bastard was busy bullying Tesla back in the day, it's a tourism hot spot now. I wrote down "Edison related" brainstorming ideas and when I finally got around to thinking about it one name came to mind, the Currents. Get it? Like electricity AND the water? Get it? Ah well here take this. 

Sun League team 8 of 10: Ft. Myers Currents

Ft-Myers-01.png

Ft-Myers-Uniforms-01.png

(for fun)

bulb-04.png

As i started working on the 10th and final team, I want to say

1) thank you to all of you who have come along with me on this branding journey, and the next step of a sim league will be a fun one.

2) I plan on redoing the Spikes. Every time I see it in game I pick flaws. Gonna keep it very similar but overall clean it up and make it more cohesive.

Team 9 posted tonight, team 10 posted tomorrow.

Agree with @SFGiants58 regarding the addition of tan to Sarasota's away wordmark.  Other comments: 

Not really sure the evergreens make sense in the Bog Hogs logo; it doesn't befit the Bog part of the name.

Would like to see some angle tweaks in the middle of the Fort Myers logo; the T in particular could stand to be made parallel with the M.  As it stands now, there's too many different angles clashing with one another. 

Always a big fan of your work, and you've made another top-notch series!

Plant City is known for one thing, the Strawberry Festival! So imagine my surprise that the sleepy town east of Tampa hosted the Reds for Spring Training through the 80s and 90s. They did! And i tried to make it as minor league as possible.

Sun League team 9 of 10: Plant City Fruit Bats 

Plant-City-Fruit-Bats-01.png

Plant-City-Uniforms-01.png

(also Fruit Bats are really big so imagine this being a really big strawberry)

The Strawberry's Dabbing and I can't not see it. Still great. Unis are FRESH, as has been this whole series. Somehow each of these brands feel familiar, worn and well-loved within 2 jpg's. That's a large feat in itself. You've pretty much crafted your own version of everything people like about Brandiose's milb work without the "Grrr, Nacho Tuesday, Kid's Tickets Free!" garbage. This is equal parts whimsical and baseball classy and every bit has been insanely followable. Also love how quickly the concepts have succeeded one another, keeps you super glued. Go Currents! Amazing work, Raysox.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Archived