IT CAME FROM THE 90s: MLS in Green Bay

MilSox

Being home for Turkey Day, my mom trotted out a bin of my old stuff. The highlight, as far as this forum is converned, is that it contained one of my first ever concepts... a hypothetical MLS club known as the Green Bay Vortex that I had completely lost to memory until now.

image0000001.jpg

One look at this and you can tell everything from the team's name to the design of the shirt was inspired by the sesibilities of MLS' infancy. I'm not sure why I placed the club in Green Bay, other than I probably noticed most MLS teams were playing in NFL stadiums.

Either way, I think it's safe to say this is the most 90s thing I'll ever design... no way to recapture that level of authenticity. 😎

Perhaps a future project will entail me updating this club's look and identity as many MLS teams did in the 2000s.

Sure feels like MLS in the 90s!

The name fits right in with the nonsensical singular names (ala Clash and Fusion) and the Dallas Burn Nike template feels appropriate.

I really like the wordmark with the swirl included.

My only issue with this is the crest saying "VOX," maybe it should be "GB" diagonally over the swirl.

12 hours ago, vtgco said:

Sure feels like MLS in the 90s!

The name fits right in with the nonsensical singular names (ala Clash and Fusion) and the Dallas Burn Nike template feels appropriate.

I really like the wordmark with the swirl included.

My only issue with this is the crest saying "VOX," maybe it should be "GB" diagonally over the swirl.

Not entirely sure that's the Dallas template per se... I think I recall taking elements from several of the early MLS shirts and either combining or tweaking them.  Though looking up pictures of the Burn, they probably were one of the references.

In hindsight, that probably would have been the way to go regarding the crest.  Too bad Vox Media wasn't around for several years later... I could pass that off as a shirt sponsor. 😁

2 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

I do like the colors. Navy, royal, and pink, it looks like? I would certainly like to see an updated version. Then again, if a team like this really existed, they would’ve probably rebranded eons ago.

I THINK they're supposed to be navy, pink and teal.  But I'm not 100 percent on that since they've faded from being over 20 years old.

I also agree, they probably would have rebranded.  If I had to construct a timeline, I'd say it would have happened in the early 2000s and coincided with a move to a new facility where the Milwaukee Mile is, which was being proposed at the time.  

This reminds me of when I made my first concept for an MLS team in my city. Not sure if I have any of the original artwork anymore, but I made it in the early 00s, the team was called the St. Louis Cyclone, the logo had kind of a pinwheel design inside of a shield, and their colors were black and silver. It was sometime during high school when I thought of it... right around the time I learned MLS existed. If I can’t find the original artwork, I may try to recreate it from memory sometime.

Archived