Uniforms With Different Colored Helmets, Jerseys and Pants

Eichs15

14 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

That’s what logos, unique fonts, stripes and tertiary colors are for.

That said, it’s pretty clear the only way this “works” is if one component is white (or, in some cases, light gray). I’d be curious if there are any examples that are truly three colors, rather than two colors and white or a neutral gray.

Other than the previously mentioned Ravens Blk/Purple/Mustard Uni, I actually like this combo from Oregon. I have a soft spot for these uniforms, but with that being said I think it works because 1) Oregon can get away with crazy combinations more so than the rest of us and 2) The green shoulders and yellow numbers connect the black jersey to the helmet and pants. Maybe an unpopular opinion.

4648328665_549659227a_o.jpg

However, I was not a fan of these Kirk Cousins era alternates from Michigan State. Gold/Green/Blk just does not work as well here, especially for a school like Mich. St.

5012f6819c383.image.jpg?resize=500,594

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither of them are good. They not the worst things I ever done seen, but not good. I stand by the formula. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think part of the issue here is that very few teams have 3 colors.. especially if you don't include white or silver/grey.. the Ravens, Jaguars, Titans, Chargers, and Buccaneers are really the only teams that could possibly have 3 differently colored uniform elements (without white or silver/grey)

I think what really helps here is when the shoulders and helmet are the same color, since it provides consistency rather than just switching from one color to the next. However, I have one set that I think surpasses all these (though I'm biased).

https://imgur.com/a/TiodvYU

(Having trouble with Imgur embedding, very sorry)

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I think what really helps here is when the shoulders and helmet are the same color, since it provides consistency rather than just switching from one color to the next. However, I have one set that I think surpasses all these (though I'm biased).

https://imgur.com/a/TiodvYU

(Having trouble with Imgur embedding, very sorry)

team allegiances should not play into an evaluation of aesthetics. 

That combo would work if the helmet and pants were reversed.  In this case the helmet should be darker than the pants, and it would follow the A-B-G formula.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/30/2018 at 5:34 PM, WavePunter said:

I think part of the issue here is that very few teams have 3 colors.. especially if you don't include white or silver/grey.. the Ravens, Jaguars, Titans, Chargers, and Buccaneers are really the only teams that could possibly have 3 differently colored uniform elements (without white or silver/grey)

I can't think of a single one that works if you exclude white and gray.

Baltimore would be black-purple-gold, and look hideous.  Not sure how you get three different non-white/gray elements with those other teams without inventing new jerseys or pants.

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Baltimore would be black-purple-gold, and look hideous.  Not sure how you get three different non-white/gray elements with those other teams without inventing new jerseys or pants.

I absolutely agree. Without white or grey/silver, most teams are excluded anyways, and the remaining teams would look poor. I can think of a possible Notre Dame gold/green/blue, which would look miserable. Washington with a black/purple/gold? Of all the combos I can come up with, none look good without the formula.

8 minutes ago, bluegrasswildcat said:

I absolutely agree. Without white or grey/silver, most teams are excluded anyways, and the remaining teams would look poor. I can think of a possible Notre Dame gold/green/blue, which would look miserable. Washington with a black/purple/gold? Of all the combos I can come up with, none look good without the formula.

At this point, if we're talking about the most significant formulas ever figured out by man, 

A  A  A  A
W  B  B  W
B  W  G  G

is second only to e=mc2, with R+L=J a distant third.

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

team allegiances should not play into an evaluation of aesthetics. 

That combo would work if the helmet and pants were reversed.  In this case the helmet should be darker than the pants, and it would follow the A-B-G formula.

I'm going to have to disagree. The silver/blue/black works because of the blue socks, for sure. You disregarding this is kinda strange to me, because I quite literally cannot tell what is wrong here. It moves from lightest to darkest, with the blue socks at the very bottom to completely balance the light/dark (with black socks, the dark would be overwhelming). I think switching helmet/pants would make this look pretty bad, even thought I want the team to switch to black helmets and get rid of silver entirely. Additionally, even though I am a Panthers fan, that doesn't come into play when I look at uniforms critically. I'm also a Ravens fan, but the combo posted earlier is gross. The combo I posted is really, really good. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who disagrees. Also, can you explain exactly what your formula is about? I literally can't understand it.

12 minutes ago, bluegrasswildcat said:

Are there any examples of white or grey helmet combos that work?

The one I posted is pretty good, I believe. (Panthers silver/blue/black combo worn this preseason against the Patriots)

32 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I'm going to have to disagree. The silver/blue/black works because of the blue socks, for sure. You disregarding this is kinda strange to me, because I quite literally cannot tell what is wrong here. It moves from lightest to darkest, with the blue socks at the very bottom to completely balance the light/dark (with black socks, the dark would be overwhelming). I think switching helmet/pants would make this look pretty bad, even thought I want the team to switch to black helmets and get rid of silver entirely. Additionally, even though I am a Panthers fan, that doesn't come into play when I look at uniforms critically. I'm also a Ravens fan, but the combo posted earlier is gross. The combo I posted is really, really good. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who disagrees. Also, can you explain exactly what your formula is about? I literally can't understand it.

The one I posted is pretty good, I believe. (Panthers silver/blue/black combo worn this preseason against the Patriots)

Personally, I think the silver helmet sticks out from the main color scheme of the uniform and makes it unbalanced. I think a black helmet would look much better. If you take out the helmet, the main colors of the combo are blue and black, and when the helmet is added, it throws too much silver into the uniform and takes away from the blue/black scheme.

Also, the formula is for any uniform to look good where it contains 3 separate colors for the helmet, jersey, and pants. However, it is not saying only these types of combos are the only way for a uniform to look good, just that if a 3 color combo wants to look good it must fall under one of the combinations listed in the formula. In the formula, A is any random variable color, B is any other random variable color, W is white, and G is grey.

8 hours ago, bluegrasswildcat said:

Are there any examples of white or grey helmet combos that work?

I would say the Titans’ old look, but it might be an unpopular opinion.

11 hours ago, bluegrasswildcat said:

Personally, I think the silver helmet sticks out from the main color scheme of the uniform and makes it unbalanced. I think a black helmet would look much better. If you take out the helmet, the main colors of the combo are blue and black, and when the helmet is added, it throws too much silver into the uniform and takes away from the blue/black scheme.

Also, the formula is for any uniform to look good where it contains 3 separate colors for the helmet, jersey, and pants. However, it is not saying only these types of combos are the only way for a uniform to look good, just that if a 3 color combo wants to look good it must fall under one of the combinations listed in the formula. In the formula, A is any random variable color, B is any other random variable color, W is white, and G is grey.

I agree that a black helmet would absolutely look better, but the silver helmet still looks good. And thank you for the explanation on the formula. It makes a little more sense to me.

10 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I'm going to have to disagree. The silver/blue/black works because of the blue socks, for sure. You disregarding this is kinda strange to me, because I quite literally cannot tell what is wrong here. 

I'm glad you like it.  I don't think it's awful, but it doesn't work for me, for the reason I already stated.  I'm not sure there's any more I can add.

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The teams I posted have 3 separate non-white-or-silver/grey colors..

Jaguars: teal, black, gold

Titans: Columbia, Navy, red

Chargers: Columbia, Navy, yellow

Bucs: orange, red, pewter (and even black)

My point wasn't that any of those would look good, just that most teams don't even have 3 different colors to use 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:10 AM, leopard88 said:

If liking the Boston (and New Orleans and Portland) Breakers uniform is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Also, I remember the Colts with silver pants.  They were introduced just before they left Baltimore, along with silver middle stripes on the shoulder loops and pants (which were barely visible)

.1982_Baltimore.png

Wow, never knew these existed. Certainly a "forgotten" uniform. Especially considering how iconic the current colts unis look. I never realized they had gone with silver pants.

UGA's road combo works quite well, although the silver should be slightly darker / metallic. Also, UGA black alternates and Falcons throwbacks are nice examples of red helmet with darker color jersey base.

UGAfootball_getty.jpg

9689107-ncaa-football-ul-lafayette-georg

Cy7Fa8OW8AAKHHi.jpg

Archived