USL 2 Team Taking Suggestions for New Name

SportsLogos.Net News

USL 2 Team Taking Suggestions for New Name

November 27, 2018 - 15:37 PM

The Michigan Bucks of USL League Two (formerly the Premier Development League) have relocated from Pontiac to Flint for 2019 and are now contemplating a change to their name, logos, and colours to accompany the move. Of course, since Flint […]

Read More...

As a resident of the area surrounding Flint, I suggest "Flint Strikers FC"...the name sounds dull but has a double meaning...as it is a soccer term as well as a remembrance of the famous Flint Sit Down Strike of 1936-37 that was the catalyst for the unionization of American Auto Workers...and lead to the UAW as we know it. Flint pays tribute to this strike every year with celebrations and even has a large section of their local history museum dedicated to it.

I suggested the colors of red & white with blue and "chrome" trim. While a bland scheme at the surface...each one of those colors has its own special tie-back to the strike itself:

• Red for the ladies "Red Hat Society" that supported the striking workers from outside the factory. They would break windows and hurl supplies to the workers on strike inside the plant.
  • White for the "white shirt day" that the UAW celebrates every year in remembrance of the strike.
  • Blue for (hopefully) a blue collar on the jerseys
  • "Chrome" trim for the obvious automotive symbolism

I suggested that all home kits be white jersey with red/gray trim, red shorts, with a blue collar. 

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

4 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

As a resident of the area surrounding Flint, I suggest "Flint Strikers FC"...the name sounds dull but has a double meaning...as it is a soccer term as well as a remembrance of the famous Flint Sit Down Strike of 1936-37 that was the catalyst for the unionization of American Auto Workers...and lead to the UAW as we know it. Flint pays tribute to this strike every year with celebrations and even has a large section of their local history museum dedicated to it.

I suggested the colors of red & white with blue and "chrome" trim. While a bland scheme at the surface...each one of those colors has its own special tie-back to the strike itself:

• Red for the ladies "Red Hat Society" that supported the striking workers from outside the factory. They would break windows and hurl supplies to the workers on strike inside the plant.
  • White for the "white shirt day" that the UAW celebrates every year in remembrance of the strike.
  • Blue for (hopefully) a blue collar on the jerseys
  • "Chrome" trim for the obvious automotive symbolism

I suggested that all home kits be white jersey with red/gray trim, red shorts, with a blue collar. 

Something to keep in mind for those of you outside the area (read: most of you). Keeping the name "Michigan" Bucks may sound fine...but historically has been an automatic "two strikes" against teams hailing from Flint. Flint residents are still very proud of their city...problems and all. Teams often when they relocate to Flint will keep or revert to "Michigan" in their name as a way to pad losses should the team fail. That way...they can move the team to another Michigan city and not have to incur and rebranding. This happened most recently with the hockey team that predated the Flint Firebirds, the "Michigan Warriors" and the indoor soccer team...which didn't even bother to change its name from "Detroit Waza Flo" despite playing in Flint.

Having the name "Flint" in the name was a huge sticking point for focus groups when the Plymouth Whalers moved here to become the Firebirds. Saying "Michigan" instead of "Flint" conveys to Flint residents that the ownership is not invested and is already looking to move elsewhere. 

It'd be a wise move for the ownership, if they are going to keep the name "Bucks," to switch "Michigan" to "Flint"...history of the club be damned.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

6 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

Something to keep in mind for those of you outside the area (read: most of you). Keeping the name "Michigan" Bucks may sound fine...but historically has been an automatic "two strikes" against teams hailing from Flint. Flint residents are still very proud of their city...problems and all. Teams often when they relocate to Flint will keep or revert to "Michigan" in their name as a way to pad losses should the team fail. That way...they can move the team to another Michigan city and not have to incur and rebranding. This happened most recently with the hockey team that predated the Flint Firebirds, the "Michigan Warriors" and the indoor soccer team...which didn't even bother to change its name from "Detroit Waza Flo" despite playing in Flint.

Having the name "Flint" in the name was a huge sticking point for focus groups when the Plymouth Whalers moved here to become the Firebirds. Saying "Michigan" instead of "Flint" conveys to Flint residents that the ownership is not invested and is already looking to move elsewhere. 

It'd be a wise move for the ownership, if they are going to keep the name "Bucks," to switch "Michigan" to "Flint"...history of the club be damned.

We're talking about a club that has a longer continuous history than the original NASL.  That's ancient on the scale of American soccer..

Flinstones can work, but Flint 1855 FC, Lumberjacks as the city of Flint was settled on fur trading and wood cutting before they were even considered Vehicle City. Also how about Vehicle City FC or SC. And yes I know that the city of Flint was part of the Sit Down Strike. I think Strikers sounds too corny. Most of my family worked for the Buick plant. So would love to see some kind of homage to the Buick plant. But I doubt it.

I submitted Flint Regals SC and suggested tweaking the crest, which already has trace influences of heraldry, to look more heraldic.  Regals is a reference to the "Buick City" plant in Flint, and it would still allow the club to retain its long (at least relative to soccer in North America) cache of history.

Archived