Tampa Bay Times Sports editorial: Save us from the Buccaneers’ hideous uniforms

I stand corrected on the Creamsicle throwback theory, and I did kind of figure the One Helmet rule was a huge reason they hadn't done anything recently.

I still believe, in my humble opinion, that when push comes to shove the vast majority of people would choose one of the post Bucco looks over the Creamsicles if a choice had to be made.

Nostalgia is a strong motivator when "selling" something.

it's why we have the current/retro Pepsi Cans back even if just temporarily.

almost all if the General Mills Cereals have come out with retro box designs.

If you want something to be popular, get ride of it, wait 15 years and re-release it.

Sadly there is a whole generation of fans here in Buffalo who want the Black/Red "Goat Head" look to come back. For those of us not 20 something or younger that is sacrilege. The Black/Red was a corporate play to align the colors of the Owners at the time's main business (Adelphia Cable), with their new hockey team. That didn't end well, with Prison Time for the owners and Bankruptcy for the Sabres. Why would anyone want to relive that?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

I still believe, in my humble opinion, that when push comes to shove the vast majority of people would choose one of the post Bucco looks over the Creamsicles if a choice had to be made.

Honestly? I think the Super Bowl era set would beat out the Bucco Bruce set, but the Bruce set may just beat out the current alarm clock set.

6 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

I don't think I saw it anywhere as I cruised through the thread, but what about something like this concept I found (not sure whose it is)?

tampa_bay_bucaneers_addison_foote_c.png

Kind of reminds me of the New Orleans Voodoo logo.  I like it.

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

@AstroBull21 pointed out that the Bucs wore the creamsicle throwbacks for four years before the one helmet rule put a stop to it.

The only way the Bucs could wear orange now is if they paired it with the pewter helmet, and orange and pewter looks awful. I don’t mind the Super Bowl look or the Bucco Bruce look, but mixing them is the worst idea. 

To suggest that the team never wanted anything to do with the creamsicle look is nonsense though. They wore it happily before and they continue to sell throwback Bruce merch. I see it all the time around town. 

About the only way creamsicle and pewter would work is if the pewter had its warm (bronze, yellow-y) component removed and was made into a more neutral gunmetal gray or slightly blue slate gray (though I’m not sure what the exact definition of the color pewter is and whether it has to be warm). But even then, I’d keep it as an alternate. Perhaps the Buccaneers could use the darker orange that they wore between 1997-2013 (as I recall that it was darker than the creamsicle orange, as was the red).

Anyways, as far the original flag logo was best as it had that more menacing character to it, and a full-fledged return to the previous set would more than suffice, as it is a genuinely good uniform, that, like the Bengals’ 1981-2003 set, could’ve been worn into perpetuity. Admittedly, the only thing I felt was missing from the previous set was just a tad more orange, but keeping in mind that this was a rare case where the team likely sought to distance themselves from their original look and came up with something that actually worked out, the lack of orange is understandable and I’m not sure where you’d put said orange on the previous set. (Maybe you could add an orange sleeve stripe on top of the black sleeve stripe? Flip the black and orange on the number outlines? I dunno.)

Another alternative for the helmet logo would be to use a standalone skull and swords logo (with accompanying Brashier-esque stripes), as seen in this prototype (hopefully the link works if the image doesn’t pop up), though I can see why someone might see it as a bit generic.

https://goo.gl/images/DoXpCB

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

A bit off topic, but didn’t want to create a new thread. The original white uniforms had orange numbers with a red outline. They swapped them the next year I believe and kept them until the redesign. I think the orange numbers looked sharp and really fit the uniform better with red being the outline. I’ve heard it was due to visibility via the press box-film. My question is, if that is the case, how did the raiders have a white jersey with silver numbers-black outline and the saints with gold-black and even the university of Tennessee with orange and no outline with no issues?

KISSwall09.jpg

29 minutes ago, hormone said:

My question is, if that is the case, how did the raiders have a white jersey with silver numbers-black outline...

You’ll notice the Raiders had to drop those too. 

On 12/11/2018 at 2:55 PM, MC Buffalo said:

I stand corrected on the Creamsicle throwback theory, and I did kind of figure the One Helmet rule was a huge reason they hadn't done anything recently.

Nostalgia is a strong motivator when "selling" something.

it's why we have the current/retro Pepsi Cans back even if just temporarily.

almost all if the General Mills Cereals have come out with retro box designs.

If you want something to be popular, get ride of it, wait 15 years and re-release it.

Sadly there is a whole generation of fans here in Buffalo who want the Black/Red "Goat Head" look to come back. For those of us not 20 something or younger that is sacrilege. The Black/Red was a corporate play to align the colors of the Owners at the time's main business (Adelphia Cable), with their new hockey team. That didn't end well, with Prison Time for the owners and Bankruptcy for the Sabres. Why would anyone want to relive that?

Not among Buccaneers fans, that I know to be true.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:06 PM, MC Buffalo said:

Don't you all think that if there was a chance in Heck that the Bucs would ever go back to Creamsicle look they would have brought out a Creamsicle alternate by now.

The Chargers teased the powder blues for years before finally wearing them in a game again. And now they added a Royal Blue Fouts/Coryell jersey to their lineup as well.

I think an even larger contingent of fans nationwide were crying for the Powder Blue Chargers than cry out for the Creamsicle Buccaneers now.

The Broncos wear their original Brown/Yellow, Jets wear original Titans Colors.

The Eagles and Packers both still wear those abominations they like to call throwback uniforms.

I think it's pretty clear no one associated with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers wants anything to do with turning the clock all the way back to the late 70's/80"s.

Keep Bucco Bruce where he belongs, a choice when playing Madden.

The orange will be back... that I promise. 

On 11/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Y’all are absolutely killing me. 

If the pewter dies, so does my fandom. The original colors SUCKED, and NOBODY liked them until they were long gone. If you say otherwise you’re either misremembering or straight up lying. I’ve been a fan of this team since before the move to Raymond James and that look was absolutely, damn near universally, derided. This revisionist history people have about that set has always baffled me to no end. The current look is garbage, but I’d rather see a thousand years of alarm clock Jack Sparrow football then ever see that flamboyant Pirates of Penzance look return full time. The most memorable win in that set came in a throwback game with Josh :censored:ing Freeman throwing the ball. Stop it. 

At this point, that pewter color IS the Bucs. It represents every sliver of success this team has had. The original set only brings up nightmares of “Yucks” football and cheap ass Hugh Culverhouse mistakes. Sans Lee Roy Selmon and losing a 9-0 NFC title game to the Rams in a hurricane, it has no other good associations. 

Y’all are really making me feel some sort of way by trying to stomp out the last few vestiges of joy this idiot football team brings me. I SAID STOP IT NOW. 

Sigh. This is why I was built for a place like this. 😑

I have REALLY REALLY bad news for you.. not everyone hated it. You became a fan when the pewter was introduced and that is ok, but to lie about it is obnoxious. Pewter and red is now associated with losing.. because it has been almost 20 years since the Buccaneers have been of any real threat. We are in the 80's-early 90's level of sucktitude.. Hopefully you will jump off the plank when they head back to some orange and ditch that awful pewter. Please, no one should listen to this guy and let him tell you how real Buccaneers fans felt about the look. 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:26 PM, hawk36 said:

This was one of my favorite looks in the NFL. Colors seemed very much what my impression of Florida was. But, as always, I'd defer to locals as to what colors they feel better represent their city/region.

This was a perfect look... 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:27 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Yeah except for that whole part where they won their only Super Bowl in the current colors (minus some minor adjustments, of course). Fans tend to cling onto moments like that for dear life. 

Except pewter and red is now known as a color combo for losers because of the last 15+ years of ineptitude..

41 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Did they?  Or did they want to drop those?

If there was really a visibility problem, then they wouldn't even be allowed to wear them as throwbacks, so I doubt they had to drop them.  Maybe the visibility was impacting their own video footage or upsetting their announcers, so they chose to change, but I'm skeptical that the league forced them to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If there was really a visibility problem, then they wouldn't even be allowed to wear them as throwbacks, so I doubt they had to drop them.  Maybe the visibility was impacting their own video footage or upsetting their announcers, so they chose to change, but I'm skeptical that the league forced them to.

This assumes the throwbacks replicate the old numbers exactly. It's possible they thickened the black outlines to make the silver number road look kosher.

@imawalkingcorpse this board has an edit function. There is no need to post six times in a row.

Archived