hettinger_rl

Tampa Bay Times Sports editorial: Save us from the Buccaneers’ hideous uniforms

Recommended Posts

On 11/29/2018 at 1:45 AM, nash61 said:

Screen-Shot-2014-02-21-at-3.48.23-PM.png

 

The white helmet(top right) with a darker shade of orange as the colour of the home jersey/away pants is my first choice. 

 

The silver helmet(bottom right) with red as the primary colour is my second choice.

 

Light-coloured and metallic helmets should always have a stripe unless the design consisted of horns(Rams & Vikings) or wings(Eagles).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

 

These right here should have been totally LEFT ALONE!!

 

josh-freeman10172010jpg-3ff45fbcc41cc2f6

 

If the helmets had the exact same stripe as the pants, those uniforms would have been PERFECTO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Gay jokes or no gay jokes? Bucco Bruce is delightful.

 

Delightful... and also fabulous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Bucs change their unis for 2019, start with these directives:

 

- Simplify!  

- Darken the pewter to more of a dark slate gray

 

I had a thought that maybe the dark slate gray color would be nice on the white jersey numbers outlines in red.

 

A guy I know who's a big Bucs fan mocked these up the other day.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 5:56 PM, daniel75 said:

Keep em they look great. Just wear your red socks with pewter pants dummies! Also winning helps.

 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:22 PM, daniel75 said:

The majority of fans at that time had grown tired of them. They signified losing for far too long.

 

On 11/29/2018 at 8:27 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Meanwhile the current Nike alarm clock look is clearly associated with championship-quality football. 

 

On 11/29/2018 at 8:30 PM, daniel75 said:

Who said they were?

 

You've missed my point.

If all of the losing means the team can't go back to the Bucco Bruce set? Then that means the current set, which you think they should keep, ought to be trashed too. Since the current set has been associated with nothing but awful football. If you're going to cling to the argument that the creamsicle set is too tainted by bad football to use? Then at least be consistent and apply that argument evenly. And if we do that? Then the only acceptable Bucs uniform is the 1997-2014 look.

 

Which is fine by me. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. And it's better than what they replaced it with anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Bucs must adopt a new look once they ditch the current monstrosities? I would like to see the creamsicle colour scheme used as a base. They don't have to use orange as the primary colour, or even use Bucco Bruce as the logo. Use red as the primary, with white and orange accents, with a white helmet and the (old) red flag logo. The white helmet would also make using the Bucco Bruce look as a throwback viable.

 

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

*snipped for space*

I don't like these, personally. They're better than what the team is currently wearing, but they're just half measures. You still have the embarrassing sleeve wordmark, the overly angular proprietary font, and the too clean/too slick/too big Terminator skull flag logo.

And really, all this concept does is strip away the current look to a point where it mostly resembles the 1997-2014 set. And if you have to move that far backwards to make the new look work? Then it's a sign the new look's failed and a complete return to the previous identity is needed.

 

It's like when people try to convince themselves the current Browns look can be salvaged, and they list all of the things that would need to change, and when taken together? It's basically trying to make the new uniform look as much like the old uniforms as possible. Same thing here. It's a desire to return to the Super Bowl-era set without actually going all the way and committing to a look we all know is better.

 

I know pro designers have this phobia about returning to old looks, but frankly? Sometimes it's ok to admit a new look was a mistake and to return to what everyone else seems to agree was, at the very least, good. If not great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Y’all are absolutely killing me. 

 

If the pewter dies, so does my fandom. The original colors SUCKED, and NOBODY liked them until they were long gone. If you say otherwise you’re either misremembering or straight up lying. I’ve been a fan of this team since before the move to Raymond James and that look was absolutely, damn near universally, derided. This revisionist history people have about that set has always baffled me to no end. The current look is garbage, but I’d rather see a thousand years of alarm clock Jack Sparrow football then ever see that flamboyant Pirates of Penzance look return full time. The most memorable win in that set came in a throwback game with Josh :censored:ing Freeman throwing the ball. Stop it. 

 

At this point, that pewter color IS the Bucs. It represents every sliver of success this team has had. The original set only brings up nightmares of “Yucks” football and cheap ass Hugh Culverhouse mistakes. Sans Lee Roy Selmon and losing a 9-0 NFC title game to the Rams in a hurricane, it has no other good associations. 

 

Y’all are really making me feel some sort of way by trying to stomp out the last few vestiges of joy this idiot football team brings me. I SAID STOP IT NOW. 

 

 

Sigh. This is why I was built for a place like this. 😑

I LOVED them in my earliest memories dating back to the 1980s.  But I tend to agree that they were usually mocked and we remember them better than we actually liked them at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 1:44 AM, infrared41 said:

 

I will never understand why the team chose to get rid of those uniforms. Every combo in that set looked great. And then someone saw the current set and said “yeah, these are better than what we’re currently wearing.”  It’s hard to believe someone thought that, but they did. When you consider the difference between the old set and the current set, this has to be the biggest uniform downgrade in NFL history, right?

I'm with you.  As much as I loved the creamsicles, I know a lot of people did not and in hindsight, I should feel glad that they lasted as long as they did.

 

But when they came out with their overhaul, I had to admit that they were pretty damn great.  And, I agree that 1) there are very few modern classics and 2) this was one of them.

 

The change they made is kind of akin to what the Oilers did way back with the original Reebok Edge change.  They kept the same color scheme and identity but downgraded their uniforms to a head-scratching degree. Seems like change just to change.  And the result is a cheap look that seems like it should have been one of the early rejects from the original overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*walks up to the mic* *clears throat*

I think that the 1997 set is a candidate for the most overrated uniform ever, and that the only change they need to make to make the current jerseys the best they’ve ever had is to change the clock numbers to a more reasonable font.

*ducks and dashes off the stage*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

 

 

 

 

You've missed my point.

If all of the losing means the team can't go back to the Bucco Bruce set? Then that means the current set, which you think they should keep, ought to be trashed too. Since the current set has been associated with nothing but awful football. If you're going to cling to the argument that the creamsicle set is too tainted by bad football to use? Then at least be consistent and apply that argument evenly. And if we do that? Then the only acceptable Bucs uniform is the 1997-2014 look.

 

Which is fine by me. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. And it's better than what they replaced it with anyway.

They lost for a MUCH longer period of time in the old creamsicle uni’s then they have with the current set. And i’m not saying they couldn’t bring them back but at that point in time most Buc fans had had enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

*walks up to the mic* *clears throat*

I think that the 1997 set is a candidate for the most overrated uniform ever, and that the only change they need to make to make the current jerseys the best they’ve ever had is to change the clock numbers to a more reasonable font.

*ducks and dashes off the stage*

 

 I share your sentiments exactly, although I can understand the issues with the current set and yearning for a fairly logical previous set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

If the Bucs must adopt a new look once they ditch the current monstrosities? I would like to see the creamsicle colour scheme used as a base. They don't have to use orange as the primary colour, or even use Bucco Bruce as the logo. Use red as the primary, with white and orange accents, with a white helmet and the (old) red flag logo. The white helmet would also make using the Bucco Bruce look as a throwback viable.

 

I don't like these, personally. They're better than what the team is currently wearing, but they're just half measures. You still have the embarrassing sleeve wordmark, the overly angular proprietary font, and the too clean/too slick/too big Terminator skull flag logo.

And really, all this concept does is strip away the current look to a point where it mostly resembles the 1997-2014 set. And if you have to move that far backwards to make the new look work? Then it's a sign the new look's failed and a complete return to the previous identity is needed.

 

It's like when people try to convince themselves the current Browns look can be salvaged, and they list all of the things that would need to change, and when taken together? It's basically trying to make the new uniform look as much like the old uniforms as possible. Same thing here. It's a desire to return to the Super Bowl-era set without actually going all the way and committing to a look we all know is better.

 

I know pro designers have this phobia about returning to old looks, but frankly? Sometimes it's ok to admit a new look was a mistake and to return to what everyone else seems to agree was, at the very least, good. If not great.

 

But you just noted that the previous look isn’t perfect, so why bring it back exactly as it was when you have the opportunity to make it perfect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

But you just noted that the previous look isn’t perfect, so why bring it back exactly as it was when you have the opportunity to make it perfect?

Well I did say that I would prefer a new look that used red as a primary with white and orange as highlights ;) 

 

It’s all about context. Ideally? Yeah. Do something new. The problem is that they did attempt that we got what we got. Which is horrid.

So if the only way to “save” the current identity is to turn it into a less-good version of the 1997-2014 look? Then they might as well just go back to the 1997-2014 look. Not perfect, no, but at this point? I’m not sure I trust Nike to properly update it. Their first attempt was a HUGE swing and a miss. 

 

2 hours ago, daniel75 said:

They lost for a MUCH longer period of time in the old creamsicle uni’s then they have with the current set. And i’m not saying they couldn’t bring them back but at that point in time most Buc fans had had enough.

Give it time and the current Strawberry Alarmclock look will have a few more crappy seasons under its belt ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The creamsicle uniforms looked good when they played other teams (especially the Oilers and Raiders), but I didn't like Bucco Bruce as a sports logo. Looking at the stats, those uniforms hardly saw any success with them, but those vibrant colors they don were fit for a team in "Florida". Still, it's probably best to leave those in the past.

 

The Super Bowl uniforms were arguably one of my favorite football uniforms ever. I did think the usage of black muddied it up a bit (with using FOUR different colors), but I don't know how well pewter would've worked next to red. Even with black though, they looked wonderful. I felt like those uniforms could've stood the test of time, but I'm starting to doubt that now due to other various factors.

 

I like the brightened red in the current set, but dislike the lightened pewter. It's pretty much dark light charcoal now. And I know what actual pewter looks like, but it was more distinct when it was closer to that brownish shade. I also like the updated logo; it's a little more edgy, but it's much cleaner design-wise. There's nothing I can say about the uniforms themselves, because my sentiments are pretty much with everyone else here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 9:20 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

 

The white helmet(top right) with a darker shade of orange as the colour of the home jersey/away pants is my first choice. 

 

The silver helmet(bottom right) with red as the primary colour is my second choice.

 

Light-coloured and metallic helmets should always have a stripe unless the design consisted of horns(Rams & Vikings) or wings(Eagles).

 

I completely agree with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The creamsicle uniforms looked good when they played other teams (especially the Oilers and Raiders), but I didn't like Bucco Bruce as a sports logo.

 

Honest question: why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

He was hard to draw when I was 8. I hated him lol

 

Besides being hard to draw, what other things makes so Bucco Bruce unpopular? I actually liked the logo. There are some similarities with the Raiders' logo and 'Elvis' the Patriot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The knife/sword in the teeth seemed incredibly awkward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

 

Besides being hard to draw, what other things makes so Bucco Bruce unpopular? I actually liked the logo. There are some similarities with the Raiders' logo and 'Elvis' the Patriot.

How are Bucco Bruce and the Flying Elvis even remotely similar other than both being NFL logos with a human mascot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now