infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 12

infrared41

1 hour ago, Gupti said:

Replace 3. with changing the numbers to solid white on the brown jerseys and vice-versa. I could live with the chest wordmark if they looked like this.

58da4f6e79d8f_ScreenShot2017-03-28at7_56

Even though I wish they'd just go back to what they had, if the Browns had done this on their initial unveiling, I wouldn't be clamoring for a new look. They can still :censored: it up with various color combos/socks but that jersey looks GREAT (TV number aside).

18 hours ago, Ark said:

I agree that the numbers should be outlined in yellow and they should have sock stripes, but they need to bring back this facemask

6eK4ob4.jpg

So, basically, this but with a White Facemask? FranTarkenton278CC_original.jpg?12851139

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

I like the Vikings unique font (though it could have some issues fixed) and don't need to see them go back to a plain block. They look so good now, no need to mess with it IMO.

Even though I prefer the block font, the current one is pretty good. My only complaint with it is that they should use the right side number font for all things. It’s weird having a left and a right number don’t, and I’m not a fan of the left one with the serifs.

da0Lbhs.png

6 hours ago, Gupti said:

Replace 3. with changing the numbers to solid white on the brown jerseys and vice-versa. I could live with the chest wordmark if they looked like this.

That works. What do you think about maybe a thin orange outline on the numbers? 

BB52Big.jpg

19 hours ago, infrared41 said:

That works. What do you think about maybe a thin orange outline on the numbers? 

Personally, I’m not for it. I’ve been a sucker recently for no outline numbers since I’ve found that unecessary outlines can often do more to blur the edge of the number than show off the color. It’s why the Packers, Vikings, and, of course, the old Browns aesthetic look so crisp. I also like how the word mark carries the orange participation on the front without making clutter.

7 hours ago, Gupti said:

Personally, I’m not for it. I’ve been a sucker recently for no outline numbers recently since I’ve found that unecessary outlines can often do more to blur the edge of the number than show off the color. It’s why the Packers, Vikings, and, of course, the old Browns aesthetic look so crisp. I also like how the word mark carries the orange participation on the front without making clutter.

Outlines can work if the colors contrast enough. The Bears are a good example of this, because midnight navy is enough of a contrast to their orange, which is enough of a contrast to white. The Broncos are another one.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

really like Saints v Falcons this week. i think they both wore their best combinations of jersey/pants. 

No...no. The Falcons look like mid-00s garbage every week, while the Saints just insist on wearing their absolute worst uniform combo week after week. Gold pants should be standard for them, and their black pants should at least have a gold stripe along the side. Instead they look like they're wearing catsuits out there.

NSFCvyu.png

5 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Outlines can work if the colors contrast enough. The Bears are a good example of this, because midnight navy is enough of a contrast to their orange, which is enough of a contrast to white. The Broncos are another one.

You’re right about those, and I’ll throw in the Dolphins as a team that just wouldn’t be the same without theirs. For the Browns? I suppose the contrast is similar enough to the Bears to work alright, though they’ve got enough orange happening already to where I rather like seeing some untarnished white-on-brown action on the numbers.

For me, this goes back to a concept that I’ve rather liked in some of Nike’s recent work, which is the treatment of colors fighting against one another (with some exceptions, of course). In these Reebok uniforms, particularly in the piping and the numbers, the white & yellow and the teal & black are pitted against one another to where the teal and yellow get eaten alive and are basically useless. Compare to the more recent Nike designs where the colors are mostly separated and get to thrive on their own (Although the Jaguars away uni should clearly have some teal numbers so that there can be teal at all. I prefer this over having teal present but practically invisible, but cmon.).

F33-F8-BDB-4-ACE-47-CE-9-B3-B-384137-ED3

2-FB4-FB36-761-F-4615-9-D27-6-D06-AC37-C

On 11/30/2018 at 1:36 PM, Gupti said:

Really Good! Outside of the obvious "remove wordmarks", the "no contrast stitching", the "no orange numbers on the brown uni" and the "no sleeve stripes on the front", I would have the stripes on the Brown Jersey go White/Orange/White to be similar to the White/Orange/White/Orange/White 5-stripes on the old Uniform.

browns.jpg

So basically, what I'm saying is to go back to the old Uniforms, but lower the stripe count from 5 to 3 like the Packers did in 1997, to work better on modern templates and cuts.

nfl_g_favre14_576.jpg

14969_a11.jpg

da0Lbhs.png

8 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

No...no. The Falcons look like mid-00s garbage every week, while the Saints just insist on wearing their absolute worst uniform combo week after week. Gold pants should be standard for them, and their black pants should at least have a gold stripe along the side. Instead they look like they're wearing catsuits out there.

completely disagree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

10 hours ago, C-Squared said:

no orange stitching,

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

"no contrast stitching",

Seems like a lot of people don't like the contrast stitching. I'm fine with it or without it. Honestly, I rarely notice it. What is it about the contrast stitching (other than Nike's incredibly stupid reasoning for it) that people don't like? 

BB52Big.jpg

30 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Seems like a lot of people don't like the contrast stitching. I'm fine with it or without it. Honestly, I rarely notice it. What is it about the contrast stitching (other than Nike's incredibly stupid reasoning for it) that people don't like? 

thats mostly it. i think its close to piping— its just another tool in the box. but applied how it is on the Elite 51 uniform, it just highlights all those ugly seams and pieces. and if they change to the VU uniform that only has a total of 5 panels that make up the jersey, does that change the story? does it no longer represent "the craftsmanship of Cleveland" or does it so in a lesser way??

yea, i think its mostly the reasoning behind it rather than the aesthetic. theres just no substance to it. we all see through it. they wanted to do something that was different and came up with the absolute worst spin for it (maybe second to "hunting from the shadows"). when you know the secret to it and spot it, you just want to turn to someone and say "do you know why they did that?...you might want to sit down for this".

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The seams shouldn't be part of the uniform.  Back in the early-mid 00s, the Eagles had at least 3 or 4 different templates in use at the same time.  The majority had the standard "t-shirt" template, while some of the d-backs had the side-wings kinda like the Broncos, and I think a few of the linemen had their own cut.   It didn't matter though - they were all wearing the exact same uniform.  That wouldn't be the case with the dumb contrast stitching.

It also ruins the solid-color look of the front / back of a jersey.  If you want to have some extra color in there, just go with piping - at least it'll look intentional, 

standard template:

11262012_troy-vincent_400.jpg  

Slightly-modified template

brian-dawkins_tcymo08q6qxi18g79btlw66e4.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived