Hockey East refresh

Bruins4

Every few years I like to give Hockey East a refresh. First up is the Merrimack College Warriors. Merrimack made the switch to Under Armour this year and have improved their jerseys. Still, I changed the striping and crest to give it more of a 'Warrior' feel.

46184111771_4e631652b9_o.jpg46184112571_b52bd04e5c_o.jpg

::patiently waits for UML::

That said, the Merrimack one has a couple of issues for me. For one, the native imagery has been absent from Merrimack's branding for many years. Also, swiping a Florida State spear logo wouldn't work well here.

Also, the yellow numbers with the white drop shadow makes the numbers much harder to read.

I like the style of the uniform itself, and can't wait to see what you do with the rest.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Their current white and gold unis are amazing (the blue one is not. the MC logo should never be a chest logo imo) but i love what you did with the striping you added but the logo does look a bit bland. I'm sure you're not strictly adhering to the college's brand guidelines or whatever but it's true what stumpygremlin said that the native imagery is almost exclusively not a Thing anymore. For me since I went to merrimack, (so im biased, sue me) the logo doesn't feel like a attached to the rest of the uniform since the striping does call back to the current school logo in that way. Not sure if using the crest would be too many stripes but I just love it so much as a chest logo. The text as well looks very standard block and pinned on to the spear rather than working together for a strong logo, which is why I think the crest would be better. Otherwise, the number font is great and the striping is beautiful. 

3 hours ago, thirtyfivegold said:

Their current white and gold unis are amazing (the blue one is not. the MC logo should never be a chest logo imo) but i love what you did with the striping you added but the logo does look a bit bland. I'm sure you're not strictly adhering to the college's brand guidelines or whatever but it's true what stumpygremlin said that the native imagery is almost exclusively not a Thing anymore. For me since I went to merrimack, (so im biased, sue me) the logo doesn't feel like a attached to the rest of the uniform since the striping does call back to the current school logo in that way. Not sure if using the crest would be too many stripes but I just love it so much as a chest logo. The text as well looks very standard block and pinned on to the spear rather than working together for a strong logo, which is why I think the crest would be better. Otherwise, the number font is great and the striping is beautiful. 

I am also a Merrimack alum! You are correct in that I didn't follow the college's branding guidelines. The MC logo to me has always left me wanting more; at it's best it's just a shoulder patch. The crest on their jerseys last year was a complete mistake and made their home jerseys look like an alternate.

When they rebranded in the mid-2000's the school introduced an actual "Warrior" logo. It looked like a rip off of San Jose State and had more of a Greek vibe with their goofy font than what the school was likely aiming for. They seemed to have distanced themselves from it. I'll admit that I am not in love with the logo I made (yes, the spear is a direct copy of FSU) but it's likely an improvement over their current lack of a primary logo.

UMaine and BC home jerseys are finished, hoping to complete the road sets tonight.

Here is the University of Maine Black Bears. I increased the striping on the shoulders and added the state of Maine to the front of the collar. In addition, I brought back the shamrock patch that Maine used after their legendary coach, Shawn Walsh, passed away in 2001. I always like how the Swift Current River Broncos memorialized their fallen teammates that were killed in a bus crash with a similar patch. Next up is Boston College.

46184113651_b29f4df5a6_o.jpg31244943167_022ee0b355_o.jpg

Maine looks good for the most part, I'm not crazy about the striped shoulders, I feel like a classic shoulder design would look better. I also think that the outline of Maine in the collar is a cool touch, but should be on both jerseys, I would also make it light blue so it doesn't stick out so much.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, Bruins4 said:

I am also a Merrimack alum! You are correct in that I didn't follow the college's branding guidelines. The MC logo to me has always left me wanting more; at it's best it's just a shoulder patch. The crest on their jerseys last year was a complete mistake and made their home jerseys look like an alternate.

When they rebranded in the mid-2000's the school introduced an actual "Warrior" logo. It looked like a rip off of San Jose State and had more of a Greek vibe with their goofy font than what the school was likely aiming for. They seemed to have distanced themselves from it. I'll admit that I am not in love with the logo I made (yes, the spear is a direct copy of FSU) but it's likely an improvement over their current lack of a primary logo.

UMaine and BC home jerseys are finished, hoping to complete the road sets tonight.

what! can i ask the year you graduated? that san jose rip off you're talking about was almost entirely phased out while I was there...we could only use the MC and no other imagery or anything so the recent addition of the new crest is something i guess lol. I think they really just need a total overhaul on the whole thing, or just the athletics at the very least.

24 minutes ago, thirtyfivegold said:

what! can i ask the year you graduated? that san jose rip off you're talking about was almost entirely phased out while I was there...we could only use the MC and no other imagery or anything so the recent addition of the new crest is something i guess lol. I think they really just need a total overhaul on the whole thing, or just the athletics at the very least.

I graduated in 2006. Feels like yesterday, time goes fast. What about you?

I agree about the complete overhaul. The school does not have a primary logo. All they have is an "MC" logo and the school crest, neither of which suggest 'Warrior'. They need an actual Warrior inspired emblem.

I have both BC and UNH home shirts done. I was working on the UNH away jersey when Photoshopped crashed. Damn. I'll post tonight. 

6 hours ago, luketheduke03 said:

Before you get to UConn, please take under consideration this beautiful set from 2011 Image result for uconn hockey 2011

If "Connecticut" was removed from the jersey, I would have assumed it was Yale. While it's nice, they need to distance themselves from another school in their own state. Plus, they also look like UNH

On 12/2/2018 at 3:20 PM, Bruins4 said:

Here is the University of Maine Black Bears. I increased the striping on the shoulders and added the state of Maine to the front of the collar. In addition, I brought back the shamrock patch that Maine used after their legendary coach, Shawn Walsh, passed away in 2001. I always like how the Swift Current River Broncos memorialized their fallen teammates that were killed in a bus crash with a similar patch. Next up is Boston College.

45237756785_599166f23a_o.jpg32278537228_5411e74990_k.jpg

The shamrock should always be permanent IRL too.  Shawn Walsh was a hell of a good guy outside the rink also.  I love the powder blue gloves with the white jerseys.  Awesome work.  Also these are better than UNH because anything Maine hockey is better than UNH always. :D

mainescarf.png

I edited the previous posts. I changed Merrimack's number design and added the Maine state outline to both jersey collars. I had difficulty deciding which UNH jersey I preferred but I think the white shoulders is more true to their history. 46184110741_dc5a542aaf_o.jpg46133512332_82f9c0a745_o.jpg

Archived