SportsLogos.Net News

This Sunday: Bills and Dolphins Battle in 1960s Uniforms

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what if the approach is to preserve the good feels of the old Dolphins by wearing the '66 uni as a throwback alternate and not taking the risk of the modern team's potential failures that might taint the perception of that historic value?

I get that intention and approach, I really do. And it’s definitely well-meaning. But I hardly think for a second if they did go back to the throwback look that many people would (or should) look at them and be like “ugh, the 2020’s uniforms, what a bad omen” or “they remind me of when they went 3-13 in 2020” or whatever. That set will ALWAYS be the Dolphins’ glory days set, I just don’t think you can tarnish it that way. And true fans of the team know it’s history and should know what those uniforms really represent. I mean, for all the suckage the Raiders have been at various times and certainly now, that’s never tarnished thier set one bit and I haven’t met or heard of a single Raiders fan who wanted to change things now just because they hit rock bottom these days. 

Plus, I really don’t like the idea of sacrificing the opportunity to have a great look in favor of keeping an inferior one* just because your team itself is inferior. If you can’t play good, at least look good.

In short: I don’t see tarnishing as a risk at all. I really don’t. Even if a few younger fans here and there do see it that way because of generation gap, then they need to be shown some clips of Csonka, Griese, Shula and Co. to clear that up quick ;) 

*Just a personal subjective opinion that the throwback identity is much better than the current (though the off-season tweaks were definite improvements). Others may think differently and that’s totally fine! But dang it I HATE belly-flop dolphin. I’ll never fully embrace that identity as long as that thing lives.

I actually like the modern Dolphins look and I like the throwback look. What they're doing now works for me and it's probably how the team views it too. I understand that branding should be consistent and I hate how certain teams (COUGHBREWERSCOUGH) can't make up their mind but in this case I don't see any harm in running 2 games in the throwbacks. There's a place for a modern look and a classic look in sports and the Dolphins do it well.

I personally believe that within the next 5 or 10 years the team will go back to the classic Dolphin logo. They might not want to do it right now but I think they'll just cave in eventually.