This Sunday: Bills and Dolphins Battle in 1960s Uniforms

SportsLogos.Net News

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what if the approach is to preserve the good feels of the old Dolphins by wearing the '66 uni as a throwback alternate and not taking the risk of the modern team's potential failures that might taint the perception of that historic value?

I get that intention and approach, I really do. And it’s definitely well-meaning. But I hardly think for a second if they did go back to the throwback look that many people would (or should) look at them and be like “ugh, the 2020’s uniforms, what a bad omen” or “they remind me of when they went 3-13 in 2020” or whatever. That set will ALWAYS be the Dolphins’ glory days set, I just don’t think you can tarnish it that way. And true fans of the team know it’s history and should know what those uniforms really represent. I mean, for all the suckage the Raiders have been at various times and certainly now, that’s never tarnished thier set one bit and I haven’t met or heard of a single Raiders fan who wanted to change things now just because they hit rock bottom these days. 

Plus, I really don’t like the idea of sacrificing the opportunity to have a great look in favor of keeping an inferior one* just because your team itself is inferior. If you can’t play good, at least look good.

In short: I don’t see tarnishing as a risk at all. I really don’t. Even if a few younger fans here and there do see it that way because of generation gap, then they need to be shown some clips of Csonka, Griese, Shula and Co. to clear that up quick ;) 

*Just a personal subjective opinion that the throwback identity is much better than the current (though the off-season tweaks were definite improvements). Others may think differently and that’s totally fine! But dang it I HATE belly-flop dolphin. I’ll never fully embrace that identity as long as that thing lives.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like the modern Dolphins look and I like the throwback look. What they're doing now works for me and it's probably how the team views it too. I understand that branding should be consistent and I hate how certain teams (COUGHBREWERSCOUGH) can't make up their mind but in this case I don't see any harm in running 2 games in the throwbacks. There's a place for a modern look and a classic look in sports and the Dolphins do it well.

I personally believe that within the next 5 or 10 years the team will go back to the classic Dolphin logo. They might not want to do it right now but I think they'll just cave in eventually.

bSLCtu2.png

On 12/2/2018 at 7:12 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

well since Tom done spilled the beans, lol

this wouldnt be a CR uniform. new rules says you can wear 2 alternates [EDIT: i believe the rule is if you have 2 alternates, 1 has to be a throwback]; we would choose those alternates to both be a ‘66 throwback and i imagine wear one of them on the road at least once. 

we tried to do it this year and make it a surprise. we wanted to say nothing and have the team run out onto the field with the white jersey. but Nike wouldnt do it; i mean we just needed 54 jerseys but of course they have their reasons for wanting to capitalize on that too. 

all of this could change over the offseason. theres a meeting set for us to talk about it next week, but not sure what we’ll be discussing at this time. 

Do you know the rules about usage if you have 2 alternates? Would this allow teams to wear alts more than 3 times or is it still 3 times total between the two alts?

Slightly off topic but does it bug anyone else that Kiko Alonso basically wears a belly top? 

Drives me nuts!

Image result for Kiko Alonso vs buffalo december 2 2018

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Gr3g3 said:

Do you know the rules about usage if you have 2 alternates? Would this allow teams to wear alts more than 3 times or is it still 3 times total between the two alts?

yea, so from what i heard today, teams can wear an alternate uniform up to 3 times a year and have a total of 2 alternates uniforms. cant be worn in playoffs though

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

14 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

yea, so from what i heard today, teams can wear an alternate uniform up to 3 times a year and have a total of 2 alternates uniforms. cant be worn in playoffs though

That's the current rule and not next year's rule, right?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Slightly off topic but does it bug anyone else that Kiko Alonso basically wears a belly top? 

Drives me nuts!

Image result for Kiko Alonso vs buffalo december 2 2018

I think that’s just pre-game, players can’t wear them like that during games they have to be tucked in, otherwise Zeke would be wearing his the same way, but even further up

What the Dolphins should do every season is break out the 1972 throwbacks the week after the last undefeated team loses its first game. If the team’s first loss is in the playoffs—e.g., the 2007 Patriots—Miami wears the throwbacks during the opening game of the following season—the 2008 season in our example.

1972dolphins%25283%2529.jpg&w=1600&q=70

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

7 hours ago, dont care said:

I think that’s just pre-game, players can’t wear them like that during games they have to be tucked in, otherwise Zeke would be wearing his the same way, but even further up

No, I watched the whole game, it was during play. 

There was a point, I believe it was in the 3rd quarter, when the Bills were back at their own goalline (within 10 years) and he came through and tacked the RB (I think it was shady but I don't remember exactly) for a loss, pinning them back at the 1 or 2. In his celebration he flexed and it looked like he was wearing a child size t shirt. I can't find a picture of that celebration but below is a picture from him chasing down Allen after Allen started a running play where you can see what I'm getting at. 

It's not just that you can see his belly button (which I find weirdly off-putting) but the around the arm holes seems really weird to me too.

Anyways, I just found it really distracting during the game.

Image result for kiko Alonso vs buffalo december 2 2018 tackle

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I despise when players do this, and it further proves that the shield doesn't enforce their own uniform policy. Better question... which equipment manager ok'd the arm hole alterations and hemmed his jersey like that. He should not have been allowed to step on the field to play until he switched to a different jersey that met the uniform codes. Same thing for Michael Bennett in Philly as well. I get that the equipment guys jobs are to make the player feel as comfortable as they can to play the game, but they should also have to make sure that it falls within their policy. 

On 12/5/2018 at 10:07 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

what if the approach is to preserve the good feels of the old Dolphins by wearing the '66 uni as a throwback alternate and not taking the risk of the modern team's potential failures that might taint the perception of that historic value?

BOO

Wear the better uniform all the time

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

On 12/6/2018 at 1:37 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

I don't think you can worry about that when it comes to visual branding. Can you think of an example where a team switched to a modern rendition of a classic uniform and the classic uniform became tarnished in any way?

The right uniform can make players feel 10 feet tall, and I definitely feel like the throwbacks fit in that category. The old adage about dressing for the job you want not for the job you have kinda fits.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dolphins regular uniforms and they're a great modern iteration of the Dolphins look, but the emotional traction you see everywhere with the throwbacks is undeniable. That's partly to do with the great work you guys do on social media promoting them, but there is definitely something about those uniforms. I know personally I hadn't bought a jersey in years, but I just couldn't not own one, and with Landry traded, i'll be in the market for a replacement as soon as I see what the white one looks like :)

On 12/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, shstpt1 said:

I despise when players do this, and it further proves that the shield doesn't enforce their own uniform policy. Better question... which equipment manager ok'd the arm hole alterations and hemmed his jersey like that. He should not have been allowed to step on the field to play until he switched to a different jersey that met the uniform codes. Same thing for Michael Bennett in Philly as well. I get that the equipment guys jobs are to make the player feel as comfortable as they can to play the game, but they should also have to make sure that it falls within their policy. 

Dilly dilly!  Kiko Alonso is almost Chris Hovan-esque in terms of arm-holes.  

For the Dolphins, I'd say just use the 1970s-80s logo (dolphin comes out of sun) and aqua facemasks and they're perfect. For the Bills, the color balance is fantastic but the logo isn't as nice as the current one (I've never much cared for the standing buffalo logo myself).

On 12/5/2018 at 10:07 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

That's a pretty silly approach. No offense to anyone who buys into the "this team won/lost in this uniform so they should make it full time/never wear it" nonsense, but I like to think that most fans are sharp enough to understand that the uniforms have absolutely nothing to do with the performance on the field. For example, I don't look at the mid 70's thru mid 80's Browns uniforms and think "Yeah, I'm glad they dumped those because they only had three winning seasons in them." Nor did I decide that the brown jerseys should be shelved forever because the team was very successful wearing all white and only wore the Brown jerseys about three times between 1985 and 1989. 

My guess is that the whole idea of "historic value" and "associated with winning/losing" bit is something that, if not born out of this community, was certainly perpetuated by it.  It's just silly. Wear what looks good. Period. 

BB52Big.jpg

On 12/5/2018 at 9:07 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

Flags fly forever, the bad years are mostly forgotten

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

its a more complicated matter than what it looks like. lots of moving parts and lots of people involved in what is seen on the field. would the Packers ever have decided to wear a CR uni on their own? no way. associations and mental connections matter which play a part as well. and fan bases are split. some people prefer the current uniform, some Heat fans want to do away with the Vice uniforms because of their record wearing them while also being a too selling jersey. 

the old Dolphins logo poses real problems in production; and it doesnt send the message the team is going for as a brand. one thing they dont want to be is “silly” so that helmet wearing dolphin...

but, you never know. strategies change and people who are really good at this business are flexible in their beliefs. and Garfinkel and Ross are very good at what they do. :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

49 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the old Dolphins logo poses real problems in production; and it doesnt send the message the team is going for as a brand. one thing they dont want to be is “silly” so that helmet wearing dolphin...

So thier solution was to switch to a dolphin that basically looks like it’s about to do this?

bellyflop-use.gif

I’m sure there’s some kind of explaination as to why the Dolphin is in that particular position against the sun, but regardless of what that is, the honest truth is within a second of seeing the current logo for the very first time, I saw a belly flop, and it’s all I can see ever since. I’m sure their intent was to make it look more graceful than the throwback’s jump but it honestly looks just the opposite to me. It frankly looks silly and hilarious because I can’t get my first impression out of my head, and I’ve never been able to take it seriously. It looks more like a parody logo to me than something to take serious. So frankly, if they’re worried about not looking silly, helmet-wearing dolphin might actually be the better option. I’ve never laughed at helmet-wearing dolphin once; I’ve laughed a great deal at belly-flop dolphin numerous times.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

its a more complicated matter than what it looks like. lots of moving parts and lots of people involved in what is seen on the field. would the Packers ever have decided to wear a CR uni on their own? no way.

Just double post your next reply if you have nos right now-- Nike over shoulder.

Archived