BigRed's XFL Predictions (California added)

BigRed618

My own ideas for identities for the eight XFL teams coming up...

x- New York Rush

x- Washington Potomacs

x- Tampa Bay Leatherbacks

x- St. Louis Dragons

x- Houston Orions

x- Dallas Blackhats

x- Seattle Surge

x- California Wave

First off, my idea for an XFL identity in my hometown...

ST. LOUIS DRAGONS

stlDragonsHome.png

stlDragonsRoad.png

The name and logo are based on the Piasa Bird, a dragonlike cryptid from Native American folklore. In nearby Alton, there is a painting of the creature on the side of a cliff, over a dark cave where the beast is said to have lived. The Piasa's unique looking wings appear on the helmets, its tail on the pants, and the jerseys have a subliminated dragon scale design. I feel like there's a bit more I could do here, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment. What do you think?

Would definitely move away from a front facing dragon, just looks like a fairy tale creature and or an ogre or something but not a dragon, try a more menacing full body dragon, and shy away from the whimsical side. 

It may be a a personal preference but a hate patterned jerseys? It’s get rid of them and the weird gold points on the number font, it doesn’t add much to the design. 

Edit: Or you could simply change the name away from dragon, and go with something different, like St.Louis Cryptids

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 12/1/2018 at 10:41 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Would definitely move away from a front facing dragon, just looks like a fairy tale creature and or an ogre or something but not a dragon, try a more menacing full body dragon, and shy away from the whimsical side. 

It may be a a personal preference but a hate patterned jerseys? It’s get rid of them and the weird gold points on the number font, it doesn’t add much to the design. 

Edit: Or you could simply change the name away from dragon, and go with something different, like St.Louis Cryptids

Thanks for the input. I’ll at least lose the pointy things on the numbers. The Piasa Bird is a unique breed of dragon, whose face has been described as human-like, which is why it doesn’t look as reptilian as you might expect.

I'll make this a series. See OP for more details.

TAMPA BAY THRESHERS

tbThreshersHome.png

tbThreshersRoad.png

The Threshers are named after the thresher shark, a rare creature found in the Gulf of Mexico. They are known for their extra long tailfins that they use to whip their prey into submission. Some say their tails can be deadly weapons when expertly wielded, and are even powerful enough to split water molecules apart. I thought naming a team after them would help raise awareness for the threatened species.

Let me hear your thoughts. New York is next.

NEW YORK RUSH

nyRushHome.png

nyRushRoad.png

It wouldn't be the XFL without at least a few of its teams named after something that can't be counted. In this case NY's team is the Rush, as in rush hour, and the logo and uniforms have been inspired by classic taxi cab designs. Washington is next.

If Columbus Crew SC would have an American football uniform, THAT would be absolutely perfect. As for the logo and the wordmark, they have a nice retro feeling. One complaint though, I think you should change the orientation of either one side panel, for the sake of consistency. Take the Detroit Pistons' association (white) uniform as an example, where the blue portion is on the front and the red is on the back.

On 12/10/2018 at 3:45 PM, BigRed618 said:

NEW YORK RUSH

nyRushHome.png

I like the identity and idea, but I'd flip where the NY is with where the checkers are in the primary logo. You could then make the shield more rounded without the awkward black triangles you have now. Also, pay close attention to your line widths for the NY. it looks like a 9 right now because the y is so squished.

tinysig.jpg

I'll have another look at the NY concept when I can. Thanks for the feedback.

WASHINGTON POTOMACS

wasMacsHome.png

wasMacsRoad.png

For DC's team, I wanted something cool, patriotic, and something Native American themed without offending anyone, to show the NFL team how it's done.

That's it for the Eastern teams. North Texas is coming next.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, BigRed618 said:

TAMPA BAY THRESHERS

The Threshers are named after the thresher shark, a rare creature found in the Gulf of Mexico. They are known for their extra long tailfins that they use to whip their prey into submission. Some say their tails can be deadly weapons when expertly wielded, and are even powerful enough to split water molecules apart. I thought naming a team after them would help raise awareness for the threatened species.

Let me hear your thoughts. New York is next.

9d9zo1Em.jpg

I'm not sure how the Clearwater Threshers - to say nothing of St. Petersburg-headquartered Minor League Baseball - would feel about the XFL's Tampa Bay franchise adopting the name Threshers.

5 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

9d9zo1Em.jpg

I'm not sure how the Clearwater Threshers - to say nothing of St. Petersburg-headquartered Minor League Baseball - would feel about the XFL's Tampa Bay franchise adopting the name Threshers.

And here I thought that name wasn't taken yet... How about this instead?

tbLBacksHome.png

The leatherback sea turtle, another endangered species, is one of the largest reptiles known to man, trumped only by three types of crocodilian. Hopefully no one would have a problem with this name.

Christmas break's coming up, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to post here again before the month is out, so here's a double update...

HOUSTON ORIONS

ntxOrionsHome.png

ntxOrionsRoad.png

I know what you're probably thinking... Wouldn't this be a better name for the Houston team? Here's my reasoning... Orion is one of the most recognizable constellations in the sky. His most distinct feature is his belt, which is made up of three stars. There are three major cities in the DFW Metroplex, and I wanted to try to represent them all with this identity, which is why they are "North Texas" instead of Dallas. EDIT: Moved the Orions to Houston.

DALLAS BLACKHATS

houHatsHome.png

houHatsRoad.png

Houston gets the Western treatment, which you'll probably think would be a better fit for DFW. You're probably right. I could have Hats and the Orions switch cities and it wouldn't really affect anything. Anyway, the Blackhats was sort of inspired by the Las Vegas Outlaws of the old XFL. Naturally I wanted to use another word for 'outlaw.' Bandits? Renegades? Desperados? Any of those could've worked, but I wanted a name that hasn't been used before. EDIT: Moved the Hats to DFW.

Next stop is the coast. Seattle is next.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Yeah you could've swapped the identities of the two TX teams.

On the Orions, play around with the stars on the helmet a little bit. With a touch of orange, it could easily pass as a Frankfurt Galaxy concept.

Agreed, Houston is Space City and Dallas is traditional Texas in my opinion.

Archived