Seattle has an NHL team

Brian in Boston

34 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I think they're also viewing this as a necessary in-road to getting the Sonics back. That's the only way I can make sense of it.

Only if it's the same ownership group. As I understand it, the NBA wants its team ownership groups to also own their arenas. And you'd have to think NHL Seattle would have priority scheduling over any other tenant. That would be unique for shared NBA/NHL arenas, right?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

Only if it's the same ownership group. As I understand it, the NBA wants its team ownership groups to also own their arenas. And you'd have to think NHL Seattle would have priority scheduling over any other tenant. That would be unique for shared NBA/NHL arenas, right?

Jeremy Jacobs and the Bruins own the Boston Garden, not Wyc and the Celtics

In addition to Boston, the Kings sort of have priority over the Lakers and Clippers, in that AEG fully owns the Kings and the arena but not the Lakers, and the Kings get Saturday nights. The United Center is a 50/50 split between the Bulls and Blackhawks, the Chicago Stadium was fully a Wirtz enterprise, what a difference a Michael Jordan makes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah the Sixers pay rent to the Flyers, though who exactly the "Flyers" are is kind of a gray area these days.

There was a little talk about them building their own somewhere - my guess is it would end up being in NJ - but that kind of fizzled out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Itd suck tuck to be a fan and have to wait that long after the announcement

Can confirm that it does in fact suck tuck. The Blue Jackets were announced in June of 1997 when I wasn't ten years old yet and didn't drop the puck until October of 2000 past my 13th birthday. I remember it being a very long wait. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

22 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Can confirm that it does in fact suck tuck. The Blue Jackets were announced in June of 1997 when I wasn't ten years old yet and didn't drop the puck until October of 2000 past my 13th birthday. I remember it being a very long wait. 

This is what I try to tell people when they say it's not a big deal for the L.A. Rams to wear weird transitional uniforms for a few years. The timespan you described is the difference between the end of 5th grade and the beginning of freshman year of high school. When you're a kid, that's a lot of life.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I find it cool that they're just re-doing KeyArena (or whatever it's called now) and keeping the roof. 

They have to. For some reason, the roof was designated an historic landmark.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 12/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I find it cool that they're just re-doing KeyArena (or whatever it's called now) and keeping the roof. 

"Keeping the roof" is all they're doing.  They're essentially digging a massive pit with the roof on temporary supports.  Hence why the NHL is giving them an extra year.

VmWIn6B.png

So they're doing what they should have done in the 90s renovation?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

So they're doing what they should have done in the 90s renovation?

Yeah, basically. But don't think Bennett wouldn't have moved them anyway.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:03 PM, LMU said:

"Keeping the roof" is all they're doing.  They're essentially digging a massive pit with the roof on temporary supports.  Hence why the NHL is giving them an extra year.

Maybe how they're framing it, maybe even a legit reason. I seriously doubt anything but a potential lockout in 20-21 is the primary reason.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions) | Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

What’s special about the roof that they’re making such an effort to preserve it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What’s special about the roof that they’re making such an effort to preserve it?

The building and roof were originally built in 1962 along with the Space Needle for the World's Fair and is part of a large park that's very much the essence of Seattle. I used to walk past Key Arena and through the park to and fro work every day (once watched them walk the bulls into the building for a PBR event). I'm just guessing here, but I think they wanted to save the roof because of it's unique appearance, history tied in with the city's most recognizable landmark, but also because it maintains a relatively diminutive position in the skyline, a skyline that is going to look very different in about 5 years so saving some history where they can makes sense. 

4ef60852-975d-11e7-8b36-cf50e93faa0f-780

I've always loved the way it's tucked into the neighborhood and when you're on the ground level you could miss that there's an arena if you didn't know where it was. A modern arena built the way we're accustomed to would look very imposing in that space. If you were to raze Key Arena and build something like the United Center on it's footprint then it would stick out and wouldn't match the surrounding area. Something like that would almost have to go in SoDo next to the football and baseball stadiums, but because of the circumstances that led to the decision to move forward with renovation of the building I think it's the best decision to preserve it's outward appearance. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think it's on the National Register of Historic Places, which causes the structure to remain unchanged to stay on the list. 

Archived