Brian in Boston

Seattle has an NHL team

3 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Associated Press is reporting that the NHL Board of Governors has unanimously approved granting an expansion franchise to Seattle, Washington. The team - the NHL's 32nd - will begin play with commencement of the league's 2021-2022 season.

NHL adds Seattle as league's 32nd team, play begins in 2021

I wonder if we'll find out what the team name is some time this spring

Lost in the mix of this announcement is the fact that Arizona will be moving to the Central. It was logical, but it also makes a potential move to Houston easier. If the Coyotes don't get an arena deal done before Seattle enters, hello Houston NHL.

Also lost... Vegas gets the immunity idol from the SEA expansion draft.

1 minute ago, LMU said:

Also lost... Vegas gets the immunity idol from the SEA expansion draft.

Yeah, but none of the money. I'm sure they'd prefer the money.

"Today is an exciting and historic day for our League as we expand to one of North America's most innovative, beautiful and fastest-growing cities. We are delighted to add David Bonderman, Tod Leiweke and the entire NHL Seattle group to the National Hockey League family. And we are thrilled that Seattle, a city with a proud hockey history that includes being home for the first American team to ever win the Stanley Cup. is finally joining the NHL." - Gary Bettman 

As an aside related to potential team branding, the NHL Seattle website does feature an awful lot of red and black, doesn't it?

NHL Seattle  

8 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

"Today is an exciting and historic day for our League as we expand to one of North America's most innovative, beautiful and fastest-growing cities. We are delighted to add David Bonderman, Tod Leiweke and the entire NHL Seattle group to the National Hockey League family. And we are thrilled that Seattle, a city with a proud hockey history that includes being home for the first American team to ever win the Stanley Cup. is finally joining the NHL." - Gary Bettman 

As an aside related to potential team branding, the NHL Seattle website does feature an awful lot of red and black, doesn't it?

NHL Seattle  

Seattle REDBLACKS?

11 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

NHL Seattle  

A member of the family that used to own the Metropolitans was in attendance with a Metros scarf, and apparently most of the Seattle media think it'll be the Metropolitans also.

Which, if that is the case, we'll probably need to rename the Metropolitan Division again.

4 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

A member of the family that used to own the Metropolitans was in attendance with a Metros scarf, and apparently most of the Seattle media think it'll be the Metropolitans also.

Which, if that is the case, we'll probably need to rename the Metropolitan Division again.

Seattle Metropolitan Divisions?

Seattle Metros sounds like a sweet name and, to me, is in line with "Sonic's." I hope they make it happen.

2021 sure is a while away. FWIW, our local transportation system will be dramatically improved by then, with three new light rail stations from the north coming online. One of those stations serves a huge park and ride accessible to suburban communities, so from a traffic standpoint, waiting a year is probably for the best.

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Seattle Metros sounds like a sweet name and, to me, is in line with "Sonic's." I hope they make it happen.

2021 sure is a while away. FWIW, our local transportation system will be dramatically improved by then, with three new light rail stations from the north coming online. One of those stations serves a huge park and ride accessible to suburban communities, so from a traffic standpoint, waiting a year is probably for the best.

Is there anything planned with the Link at Seattle Center or are they going to rely on the Monorail for the last mile?

SEATTLE GETS NHL TEAM!!!!

....and oh yeah Seattle gets XFL team too or whatever. 

Seattle Expansion

Will play in the Pacific Division. Coyotes to the Central.

Going to split the Seattle talk into another thread for ease of finding.

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

I wonder if we'll find out what the team name is some time this spring

That seems a little soon.  Might be later 2019 or early 2020 since team wont begin play until 2021.

57 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

NHL Seattle  

I have a feeling that those colors are just temporary, while they settle on the name and color scheme over the Winter.

This is a huge step for the NBA to eventually give Seattle the Supersonics again.

So does this make it more likely or less likely we see the return of the Seattle Supersonics?

20 minutes ago, LMU said:

Is there anything planned with the Link at Seattle Center or are they going to rely on the Monorail for the last mile?

Monorail for the last mile. There's a new Seattle Center Link station planned to open in something like 2030.

Time Zones Uber Alles, I say, as I put a team half in Pacific Time with teams in Central Time