infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 13

infrared41

19 hours ago, infrared41 said:

My version...

5DYv5fM.jpg

Your version works for me, and also reminds me how I clamor for all clubs who wear throwbacks at home how great it looks to change to the retro logo at the 50 yard line.  I wish Buffalo would have done the same for the JAX game.  Playing on field turf shouldn't matter as it didn't in Detroit when both the Vikings and Bills played emergency home games at Ford Field and also changed the end-zone colors.

BTW, Miami really blew it IMO when they were eligible to of undergone their uniform change this past season. They should have just gone to these present throwbacks based on their 1966 season, added optional aqua pants which they didn't have in 1966 and just changed only the Dolphin from the 1966 version as it looked way too clipart-like, whereas the tweaked 1997 Dolphin looked so much better. Leave the sunburst as it was in 1966 with the correct shade of orange, and FGS get some white striped socks for when wearing the aqua pants.

Several Dolphins players have repeatedly said they wanna wear the throwbacks permanently, as have their fans on social-media.  I really think they blew it this past off-season. The Dolphin w/ the 'M' helmet was damn cool.  I also remember those diamond end-zones from the Orange Bowl years at the time of the merger, I think the Chargers had those diamonds too in that same era. 

dolphinslogo1.png?w=640

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/6/2018 at 12:16 AM, -Akronite- said:

If the Dolphins wore that look all the time against the Bills normal look, it's harder to say whether it would top the rankings, but maybe that's just an assumption on my part.

But it's obviously just how you feel about it at the end of the week.

I'll admit that one factor in that game beating out Chiefs - Raiders was the fact that we see that Chiefs - Raiders match up once a season. That said, I think it's safe to say that if the Dolphins went to the throwbacks full time, a match up against the current Bills would make the best list every time. Would it grab the #1 spot every time? I guess that would depend on the competition. FWIW, the Dolphins made the best list all the time before they switched to the current set. I've liked every version (with the exception of the current one)  of the Dolphins uniforms. I've been a fan of their look since I was a kid. I didn't even mind the addition of navy blue all that much. I thought it was unnecessary, but it didn't bother me all that much. The new look was a huge disappointment for me. 

BB52Big.jpg

This was a perfectly acceptable look.  Nuts to anyone that disagrees.

taylor-thomas2002_orig.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I'll admit that one factor in that game beating out Chiefs - Raiders was the fact that we see that Chiefs - Raiders match up once a season. That said, I think it's safe to say that if the Dolphins went to the throwbacks full time, a match up against the current Bills would make the best list very time. Would it grab the #1 spot every time? I guess that would depend on the competition. FWIW, the Dolphins made the best list all the time before they switched to the current set. I've liked every version (with the exception of the current one)  of the Dolphins uniforms. I've been a fan of their look since I was a kid. I didn't even mind the addition of navy blue all that much. I thought it was unnecessary, but it didn't bother me all that much. The new look was a huge disappointment for me. 

Very interesting as most people are gaga for the latest set. I think it looks really good aside from the fact that they now have a navy accent in their logo that isn't present in the rest of their identity.

15 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Very interesting as most people are gaga for the latest set. I think it looks really good aside from the fact that they now have a navy accent in their logo that isn't present in the rest of their identity.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly - at least based on the pulse of the CCSLC.  I obviously don't have metrics, but I'm positive that the current set is overwhelmingly disliked (not necessarily hated or in the same category of the TBs of the world) - from the soulless logo to the ridiculous number font to the color imbalance - which has been improved dramatically, but still not there yet.

Any "gaga" you may be detecting (at least from this board) is more the reaction to the upgrades made this year, not in general.  When a 2 loses a few pounds and becomes a 5, that's kind of a big deal.  But she ain't an 8, or even a Cleveland 9 (AKA a 6.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/5/2018 at 11:13 PM, infrared41 said:

No, it wasn’t, but it didn’t look bad enough to make the worst list. It’s a shame that we’re losing these Jets uniforms after this season. I’m not a big fan of the green pants - they’re not terrible, I just prefer the white - but other than that, the Jets are one of my favorite looks. I’m not looking forward to the new look for next season. 

I have mixed feelings about it as a Jets fan. Next year will be a fresh start with a new coach, we'll be building around a new young QB. Will probably be making a huge splash in free agency with 100+ mil in cap room. It's definitely a turn the page time in the Jets history so I can understand the desire for new uniforms to stamp the new era, and while I am looking forward to a brighter green returning I'm absolutely terrified of getting Seattled or Tampa Bayed

I didn't like the Parcells change back to the Namath era uniforms. I loved the 1990-1997 uniforms and though they looked very sharp. Like the 80's unis too but the 1990 update just made them crisper

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When a 2 loses a few pounds and becomes a 5, that's kind of a big deal.  But she ain't an 8, or even a Cleveland 9 (AKA a 6.)

Or even a Philadelphia 9 (AKA a 2 AKA "has to sneak up on a glass of water") B)

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I'm absolutely terrified of getting Seattled or Tampa Bayed

Same here. Every time I hear the basic "respect the past, embrace the future" thing, I think "this ain't gonna be good." 

BB52Big.jpg

On 12/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, -Akronite- said:

why is that an issue? the Steelers dont have red or blue in their uniform. the Blackhawks dont have all their logo colors in theirs, but...

On 12/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

This was a perfectly acceptable look.  Nuts to anyone that disagrees.

taylor-thomas2002_orig.jpg

yes an acceptable 90s uniform (not even going to get into that logo). but there's quite a bit of blue here that was brought over by Johnson from the Cowboys. it was agreed that blue just wasn't really historically relevant to the Dolphins and did more to muddy and complicate the uniform than help. sure, those 2 guys came from that era but when you think Marino, Shula, Csonka, the 2 Super Bowl victories and the undefeated season... its white, aqua and orange. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I disagree with this wholeheartedly - at least based on the pulse of the CCSLC.  I obviously don't have metrics, but I'm positive that the current set is overwhelmingly disliked (not necessarily hated or in the same category of the TBs of the world) - from the soulless logo to the ridiculous number font to the color imbalance - which has been improved dramatically, but still not there yet.

Any "gaga" you may be detecting (at least from this board) is more the reaction to the upgrades made this year, not in general.

Yes, that's what I referring to, that when the new set came out reactions were overwhelmingly positive. But people do like the old looks and logo. Personally, I'm fine with the clean modern look they have and while their current logo isn't ideal, I was never a fan of the helmet dolphin.

8 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

why is that an issue? the Steelers dont have red or blue in their uniform. the Blackhawks dont have all their logo colors in theirs, but...

The Steelers and Blackhawks are both exceptions to the general rule of thumb and they more easily get away with it because of their history. If they made a logo with a dolphin in the sunset and needed to add extra colors, that'd also be different from simply using an accent that works as part of the color scheme without including it in the uniform. So basically, it doesn't have to be a problem but in this instance it is.

4 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Yes, that's what I referring to, that when the new set came out reactions were overwhelmingly positive. But people do like the old looks and logo. Personally, I'm fine with the clean modern look they have and while their current logo isn't ideal, I was never a fan of the helmet dolphin.

The Steelers and Blackhawks are both exceptions to the general rule of thumb and they more easily get away with it because of their history. If they made a logo with a dolphin in the sunset and needed to add extra colors, that'd also be different from simply using an accent that works as part of the color scheme without including it in the uniform. So basically, it doesn't have to be a problem but in this instance it is.

im unconvinced. was it wrong for the other teams to do the same the first year they did it? maybe the Miami uniform lasts 50 years too, then is it ok?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It’s fine to have colors in a logo but not anywhere else... if it makes sense. Kinda goes for everything - does it make sense?

Taking this back to the Phillies discussion in the other thread - I think the Independence Hall logo was fine - and that had green and blue in it and they weren’t part of the Phillies colors at all. 

Navy in the dolphin is fine. Black in the 49ers oval is not anymore. It made sense when they redesigned to the Garcia era set, but not now. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It’s fine to have colors in a logo but not anywhere else... if it makes sense. Kinda goes for everything - does it make sense?

Agreed. There are no hard and fast rules for this sort of thing. Sometimes the extra colors work and sometimes they don't. As you said, it's simply a matter of "does it make sense" and I'd add does it look good? Anything after that is just theatre. 

BB52Big.jpg

15 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I was never a fan of the helmet dolphin.

See, that’s the best part. Since when did whimsy become a bad thing? I rather have a logo with character than one without character. 

This just might be the ugliest NFL uniform I've ever seen.

I agree with you on most of your points, but I don't think the Bucs' uniform, (however hideously garish in my eyes), is as ugly as the Jags' mustard vomit color rush :lol: 

3TjxyP9.jpg

Or the worst alt, if not jersey ever imo, the Steelers' Bumblebee alts:

d1JvGnR.jpg

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

53 minutes ago, ZionEagle said:

I agree with you on most of your points, but I don't think the Bucs' uniform, (however hideously garish in my eyes), is as ugly as the Jags' mustard vomit color rush :lol: 

3TjxyP9.jpg

The NFL should market this and the Bucs uniform as bobble head style ketchup and mustard containers. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived