Sign in to follow this  
infrared41

infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 13

Recommended Posts

Plenty to work with in week 13 for both lists. We had a couple stone cold classics take the top two spots on the best list and we had what I'm pretty sure is a first for the top spot on the worst list this week. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may be different from mine and that's perfectly OK. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms. Let's play our game. I'll take "Miami fans won't be asking 'no love for the Dolphins this week?' for $800, Alex." 

 

 

BEST:

 

1. Bills - Dolphins: What's better than seeing the beautiful Dolphins throwbacks make their 2018 debut? The Buffalo Bills showing up in their pretty cool AFL throwbacks to play against the Dolphins in those beautiful throwbacks. My only issue with this game was that I was unable to find pictures that included both teams that do this match up justice. This one is definitely in the running for the game of the year. The sooner the Dolphins pull the trigger and make this the full time look, the better. Every game should look this good.

 

6BsGmKd.jpgl0TJZYW.jpg

dDkEtpj.jpg

 

 

2. Chiefs - Raiders: There aren't many match ups that can knock this game out of the top spot. Another fantastic looking match up. They all should look this good. 

 

PSkvZZz.jpg

 

 

3. Bears - Giants: It's gotta be a pretty good week when this game is only good enough for the #3 slot. I think it would be great if the Bears would go all white when matched up with classic uniforms. They don't need to do the all white all the time (although I wish they would) just do it against teams like the Giants, Packers, Chiefs, Raiders, etc. 

 

Hoy1scH.jpg

 

 

4. Redskins - Super Bowl Champion Eagles: Kudos to the Eagles for staying away from the Thursday/Sunday/Monday Night nonsense of wearing CR, monochrome, all black, etc. Great looking game.

 

q8eBd2q.jpg

 

 

5. Colts - Jaguars: I'm probably in the minority, but I really like some of the combos with this new Jags uniform. Nice to see the Colts looking like the Colts again after last week's blue monochrome disaster. 

 

e5la0nh.jpg

 

 

Honorable Mention:

 

1. Chargers - Steelers: There are a lot of things I don't like about the Chargers current look, but when they wear the right combo against the right team, they don't look half bad. I thought the all white matched up with the Steelers looked pretty solid.

 

aBl8xxd.jpg

 

 

2. Vikings - Patriots: Not the worst looking game I've ever seen. 

 

N3YDjiT.jpg

 

 

WORST:

 

1. Panthers - Buccaneers: Leave it to the Bucs to follow up an article about how awful their uniforms are by wearing the worst possible version of that uniform. This just might be the ugliest NFL uniform I've ever seen. This also may be the first time the top game on the worst list included a team that looked good. The Panthers had nothing to do with this game taking the top slot. They were just innocent bystanders. The worst part of this disaster is that there are surely people out there who think this looked good. 

 

OFktmmh.jpg

 

 

2. Broncos - Bengals: The "Wow, do we need new uniforms" Bowl. Whole lotta ugly going on here.

 

oDfFHFS.jpg

 

 

3. Browns - Texans: If the Browns had gone with the all white combo and the Texans had gone with blue over white, this game has a shot at making the best list - or at least an honorable mention. Instead, we got this. There should never be a game in which the Browns in that combo are the best looking team on the field. 

 

rLafR6r.jpg

 

 

4. Ravens - Falcons: Both teams could easily look better - they just choose not to. 

 

OhN4rtl.jpg

 

That's it for this week. Hard to believe we're down to just four weeks left in the season. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for dropping by. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I don’t think it clicked to me until I saw this post just how good Week 13 was. Some really solid matchups all around. 

 

It’s interesting to me, there are some definite little flaws here and there between both the Bills and Dolphins throwbacks - more so the Bills - and yet that whole thing somehow looks so great and throws you on such a fun Zeitgeist trip that those little flaws don’t even bother me for that game. As a history lover, that’s a really fun matchup. Perfect? No. But enjoyable though and still aesthetically pleasing? Definitely! Great, great game to watch. Love the color matchup too.

 

And for the record, those “little flaws” are not extremely damaging in and of themselves in my opinion. Like, they by no means “tank” either set. I’d prefer the Dolphins’ pants stripe to have matched the helmet back in ‘66 and then they’d have nailed it, and for the Bills to have had a bit more striping consistency from head to toe, it always looked a bit mismatched. But 1) I totally get they’re reproductions of the past real things so of course I “get” why it is the way it is, 2) I’m going off of purely preference here on those striping wants and is no way a concrete universal “rule”, and 3) they still have a lot of great things going on for them anyways and in the Dolphins’ case, they’re much better than what they have now in my opinion and I’d take them over belly-flop dolphin a million times over.

 

I also just realized that I actually really like how the retro buffalo on the helmet provides a nice punch of red in contrast to the blue numbers. I don’t know why that didn’t jump out at me before. Very nice!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It’s interesting to me, there are some definite little flaws here and there between both the Bills and Dolphins throwbacks - more so the Bills - and yet that whole thing somehow looks so great and throws you on such a fun Zeitgeist trip that those little flaws don’t even bother me for that game. As a history lover, that’s a really fun matchup. Perfect? No. But enjoyable though and still aesthetically pleasing? Definitely! Great, great game to watch. 

 

Agreed. There are a couple things I'd change/fix on both uniforms (the Dolphins pants stripe would be the first thing), but like you, none of that stuff bothered me. Sometimes, fun is enough. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently this was a strong week.  I only saw the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles vs Washington game this week, and thought for sure it would be #1 - until I saw the other ones you posted.  I don't love two white-helmeted teams battling each other (there's exceptions though) but I can't argue too much with the list.

 

I've only seen the matchups posted in this thread, but I"d probably go with:

 

1. Chiefs/Raiders

2. Giants/Bears

3. SBCPE/Washington

4. Bils/Dolphins

5. Chargers/Steelers (very close to 4)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

5. Colts - Jaguars: I'm probably in the minority, but I really like some of the combos with this new Jags uniform. Nice to see the Colts looking like the Colts again after last week's blue monochrome disaster. 

 

e5la0nh.jpg

 

Welcome to the club! Meetings are in my den, membership dues are collected at the end of the month, and join us on Sundays for bridge. Bring snacks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually prefer the Bears in navy pants away, and that Giants game is a prime example why. I’m generally not a fan of matchups where both teams are in white pants. There are exceptions, of course, but most of them are when the helmets contrast well, which doesn’t happen here. In my perfect world, they only go all-white if the opposing team’s home uniform is dark (black, navy, etc.), and go with navy pants against everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the throwback gimmick helped it rise to the top, but I would still argue the Chiefs-Raiders were the best looking match up, especially when you account for how their colors play off each other.

 

The Browns don't look that bad in orange pants with white jerseys, but obviously the overall uniform has a lot of issues and the Texans going all navy looks horrid. The Texans have an overrated look in general, aside from an awesome logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EDIT: gonna pull these photos now.


i have to say about the Chargers though, i really like them in all white and all blue like we've seen recently. it breathes a new life into that design by simplifying the jersey/pants combination. either way (all blue or all white) it allows the bolts and numbers to stand out nicely. they've been doing it all wrong by pairing white with blue and making the uniform too chaotic; theres too much contrast and things battling for attention. the Browns have that same problem. you have to set something back and, something has to just "chill" in the design and the monochrome approach really works for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost used this one, but I figured once I cut it down to the normal size I use for the thread (roughly 600x400) it would have been too small. 

 

AaTqnbp.jpg

 

 

My version...

 

5DYv5fM.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Man, I don’t think it clicked to me until I saw this post just how good Week 13 was. Some really solid matchups all around. 

 

It’s interesting to me, there are some definite little flaws here and there between both the Bills and Dolphins throwbacks - more so the Bills - and yet that whole thing somehow looks so great and throws you on such a fun Zeitgeist trip that those little flaws don’t even bother me for that game. As a history lover, that’s a really fun matchup. Perfect? No. But enjoyable though and still aesthetically pleasing? Definitely! Great, great game to watch. Love the color matchup too.

 

And for the record, those “little flaws” are not extremely damaging in and of themselves in my opinion. Like, they by no means “tank” either set. I’d prefer the Dolphins’ pants stripe to have matched the helmet back in ‘66 and then they’d have nailed it, and for the Bills to have had a bit more striping consistency from head to toe, it always looked a bit mismatched. But 1) I totally get they’re reproductions of the past real things so of course I “get” why it is the way it is, 2) I’m going off of purely preference here on those striping wants and is no way a concrete universal “rule”, and 3) they still have a lot of great things going on for them anyways and in the Dolphins’ case, they’re much better than what they have now in my opinion and I’d take them over belly-flop dolphin a million times over.

 

I also just realized that I actually really like how the retro buffalo on the helmet provides a nice punch of red in contrast to the blue numbers. I don’t know why that didn’t jump out at me before. Very nice!

 

 

 

 

The old Bills logo really does kick in a nice bit of red to offset the blue-heaviness of the rest of it. Never noticed that before. I still think the current one much better as an actual logo, but the color balance of the old uniform is pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Jets/Titans wasn't too pretty

 

yo4jdyswnf3e8i8uq2qp.jpg

 

No, it wasn’t, but it didn’t look bad enough to make the worst list. It’s a shame that we’re losing these Jets uniforms after this season. I’m not a big fan of the green pants - they’re not terrible, I just prefer the white - but other than that, the Jets are one of my favorite looks. I’m not looking forward to the new look for next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I understand the throwback gimmick helped it rise to the top, but I would still argue the Chiefs-Raiders were the best looking match up

 

Yeah, it was tough to put that one second, but the lists are based solely on what I like best every week. I liked Bills - Dolphins better. That’s it. Color match ups, etc., only come into play when I need a tiebreaker. FWIW, the throwback “gimmick” had nothing to do with anything. I happen to really like Miami’s throwbacks. I think the game would have looked even better if Buffalo had worn their current all white combo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

EDIT: gonna pull these photos now.

 

You’re not going to turn me in or something for using the shots I used, are you? 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

 

You’re not going to turn me in or something for using the shots I used, are you? 😎

 

lol, naw. anything that is watermarked is fine. the ones i put up wernt but thought they showed the matchup well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

 

Yeah, it was tough to put that one second, but the lists are based solely on what I like best every week. I liked Bills - Dolphins better. That’s it. Color match ups, etc., only come into play when I need a tiebreaker. FWIW, the throwback “gimmick” had nothing to do with anything. I happen to really like Miami’s throwbacks. I think the game would have looked even better if Buffalo had worn their current all white combo. 

 

I agree that the Bills currently look better. In terms of gimmick, I simply mean the fact that we don't see this combo often. If the Dolphins wore that look all the time against the Bills normal look, it's harder to say whether it would top the rankings, but maybe that's just an assumption on my part.

 

But it's obviously just how you feel about it at the end of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the arial shots, there's not much noticeabe difference between the throwbacks and the current sets, minus the DOlphins sock stripes.  It's a fine-looking matchup, but one that I think is aided by the throwback novelty - which is fine, as it's a subjective list.  The Dolphins throwbacks are obviously far superior to their current ones, and seeing them in aqua is nice and they should wear it more, but in terms of matchup, I don't think there would have been much of a difference between current and throwback since the main colored areas are the same for both teams on both sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 3:47 AM, Magic Dynasty said:

I actually prefer the Bears in navy pants away, and that Giants game is a prime example why. I’m generally not a fan of matchups where both teams are in white pants. There are exceptions, of course, but most of them are when the helmets contrast well, which doesn’t happen here. In my perfect world, they only go all-white if the opposing team’s home uniform is dark (black, navy, etc.), and go with navy pants against everyone else.

 

I'm in complete agreement with you regarding pants colors clashing, whether pants of color or white ones.  When the Rams played at Seattle and their mono-navy home uniforms, which would look so much better with either white or the wolf gray pants, I couldn't believe that LA chose to wear their navy pants and navy socks. Watching that game made me dizzy. We called it the Navy Bowl.

 

iolrxnqa8iwd7yvzbnje.jpg

 

In soccer, the UEFA Champions League, the World Cup, and in the Euro's neither the shorts, or socks can have the same or nearly same color (Ex: navy blue against black is a no no).  But . . .  it's the HOME team that has to either change to make alterations or switch to their 2nd or 3rd kit if anything clashes with the opponents kit(s).  If anything does but it's not the shirt, then the shorts or socks from their away or 3rd kit may be used as the away club doesn't have to be forced to make any changes to either their away or 3rd kit ... If their away kit clashes but the 3rd kit doesn't, then the home club leaves their kit as is and the away club wears their 3rd kit.

 

What I really hated was Green Bay and Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl some years back and both teams were in their same bright yellow pants. That to me was too much of a clash, especially in our present tech age of HDTV and many in 2K or 4K clarity. 

 

Now that most clubs have a C-R, many a throwback and/or alternate uniforms, then for example the away team -----> (opposite of Champions League rule)  would have to change their pants color. Green Bay was the home team so the Steelers would of worn their C-R black pants or white (if they had one), and the Packers would have  remained in the green over yellow uniforms. By those soccer competition rules it would have looked really cool to see the Packers in their green jerseys but w/ their white color rush pants, BUT . . with the green socks they normally wear w/ their yellow pants, NOT those solid white socks they wore w/ their color rush white on white.

 

 

 

harrison-rodgers.jpg?w=420

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

but in terms of matchup, I don't think there would have been much of a difference between current and throwback since the main colored areas are the same for both teams on both sets.

 

If it were only about colors, my lists would be more pointless than they already are. There is a lot more to it than just how the colors look together. Good colors on bad uniforms still produce an ugly game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this