What do you do as a fan when you strongly dislike your team's branding?

On 12/9/2018 at 9:21 PM, Gothamite said:

So looks like there’s a lot of agreement; if you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

Pretty much. I only bought one “Black Jays” cap and that was more out of a perverse sense of obligation. And after that? Nothing else. 

Incidentally I never wore it after the first few seasons. I got the graphite cap because I figured it was unique, as opposed to the black cap. 

Then the team stopped wearing it and the graphite cap just looked like a faded black cap anyway. I ended up buying World Series-era throwback merch until they went with the updated version of that set a few years back. 

I’m just one fan, and I’m under no delusion that my purchasing choice made the difference. Still? I saw throwback Jays gear get more and more popular as time went on and I have to think the team took notice of that. 

So vote with your wallets. You’re not going to make a difference by yourself but if enough fans make it clear what they want for long enough? The team will buckle eventually. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/6/2018 at 11:11 AM, DG_Now said:

I waited until I could get this bad boy on sale for $30 and have it proudly in my closet and never on my body:

Buffalo%20Sabres%20jersey.jpg

Remember when we lived in a world where that existed??

Wore mine (Pre-Edge version) once.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

This is a prime reason why I chose the LA Dodgers as my favorite baseball team or the Blackhawks as my NHL team back when I cared about hockey.  I knew these teams would never do any drastic changes to their uniforms.  It did bother me though when the Dodgers tweeked the road uniforms by putting Los Angeles on the sleeves in cursive and the current LA interlock on the sleeves but this is all minor in comparison to a team like the Bucs going from creamsicle to pewter to alarm clock numbers.  Thank god my NFL team the Seahawks didn't last too long in the steel blue uniforms.  The only thing that i would like to see more of from the Seahawks is more grey wolf or white pants at home combo with the blue jersey, or action green jersey with blue, white or grey pants and once in a blue moon the green pants combined with the white jersey.  

On 12/6/2018 at 4:13 PM, JonBoy said:

For the Orioles, I don't really like the cartoon bird.  I can live with it, but I absolutely hate the white-paneled home cap.  The road look is much more tolerable and I wouldn't mind if they went all black for the road and moved the road to the home.  Just get rid of the white panel.  The "O's" hat is another thing that I can't stand.  Lastly, the orange jersey has flaws and inconsistencies that bug me.

This is quite the unpopular opinion. I absolutely loved the rebrand in 2012, though the beak of the Cartoon Bird could certainly be tweaked and the orange jersey needs white piping for consistency’s sake. I do think they need a black brim hat for the road, but keep everything else the same and just wear the current road cap in an alternate capacity with the orange jerseys when those are pulled out on the road. Small things that only people on this board probably notice, though. 

On 12/6/2018 at 12:40 AM, -Akronite- said:

Ohio State- Overall I like our identity but would make some tweaks to make it perfect. I usually prefer things that put more of an emphasis on gray rather than treating black as our secondary color. In fact, I wish we'd stop using the red/white/black Block O and involve gray in the identity before black in every single instance. However, I do wear an old school Woody hat and love it .

Ohio State does an excellent job of balancing the colors depending on the background, and gray is typically featured more prominently unless it’s on a white background (or off-brand color like that of a basketball court). I get your overall sentiment, but I find most of my Ohio State wardrobe is white or black. Just a cleaner look. And I can’t necessarily find a way to improve the current football uniforms because of the stripe consistency between helmet, jersey and pants, though replacing the white on the sleeves with gray (like the road uniforms) would please some of the fan base who clamor for a return to the old sleeve style or say Ohio State’s jerseys look like Nebraska and Wisconsin (I understand their point from the standpoint of men who wear jerseys on gamedays, but I disagree with that because the jerseys worn by the players are paired with silver helmets and pants). I do think they’ve failed by not (yet) wearing a gray alternate jersey devoid of wolf motif with red numbers and sleeve stripes, though.

That gray/black getup was supposed to be a wolf motif?  All I thought about it was that it didn't look like tOSU at all.  Army could've made something similar work, the Buckeyes needed more red for something like that to work for them.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 12/14/2018 at 6:15 PM, AndrewMLind said:

Ohio State does an excellent job of balancing the colors depending on the background, and gray is typically featured more prominently unless it’s on a white background (or off-brand color like that of a basketball court). I get your overall sentiment, but I find most of my Ohio State wardrobe is white or black. Just a cleaner look. And I can’t necessarily find a way to improve the current football uniforms because of the stripe consistency between helmet, jersey and pants, though replacing the white on the sleeves with gray (like the road uniforms) would please some of the fan base who clamor for a return to the old sleeve style or say Ohio State’s jerseys look like Nebraska and Wisconsin (I understand their point from the standpoint of men who wear jerseys on gamedays, but I disagree with that because the jerseys worn by the players are paired with silver helmets and pants). I do think they’ve failed by not (yet) wearing a gray alternate jersey devoid of wolf motif with red numbers and sleeve stripes, though.

The home stripes bother me because there's no gray. The road stripes bother me because they don't match. That's kinda why the old stripes just make more sense. It's a traditional, well-balanced set that simply looks good.

No need for alts but if they must then blackout isn't bad and a gray jersey would be cool if they didn't go monochrome.

5 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

That gray/black getup was supposed to be a wolf motif?  All I thought about it was that it didn't look like tOSU at all.  Army could've made something similar work, the Buckeyes needed more red for something like that to work for them.

From Nike’s release: “A Buckeye wolf pattern on the helmet, base layers, socks and within the numbers is many to represent ultimate predators.”

JT Barrett made a comment the year before during winter workouts and that inspired the uniforms. “The land of the wolves mindset is a wolf every day... You’re always attacking.” 

That was my feelings, as well, though. It was a great looking uniform, but never felt that it looked like Ohio State. It’s still strange watching the Penn State or Michigan games because it’s not instantly recognizable as Ohio State the way their other throwback alternate uniforms (and arguably the all-black set) have been. 

Archived