raysox

Sun League (Sim Baseball) - 2019 Season Championship

All-Logos-01.png

Catch up on the branding and reasoning here

Ah, the sports fan fiction board! You guys are so brave putting this forum name in your website history. 

So for the last few weeks I branded 10 teams and formed the Sun League. The league will be completely simmed on Out of the Park Baseball 19. The league will follow along the lines of an independent baseball league, with bigger budget to sign former MLB All-Stars similar to Justin Morneau and Pablo Sandoval. As the league progresses, current MLB players will drop into Free Agency and be picked up by the Sun League.

Each team will play out of a barren ballpark in Florida, whether it's a former spring training home, or an existing one without a Florida State League team. The teams include - 

Brevard County Manatees - USSSA Space Coast Stadium

Cocoa Beach ChocoSox - Coastal Florida Sports Park

Ft. LauderdaleSpikes - Fort Lauderdale Stadium

Ft. Myers Currents - City of Palms Park

Homestead Fly Boys - Homestead Sports Complex

Orlando Jaguars - Champion Stadium

Plant City Fruit Bats - Plant City Stadium

Sarasota Ringmasters - Ed Smith Stadium

Vero Beach Azules - Holman Stadium

Winter Haven Bog Hogs - Chain of Lakes Park

The rules I'm abiding by are ones created during a test sim. The league won't have fictional players, I'm going to keep it as real as I can although a stray international signing may pop up. The league will have a minimum age of 23. I don't want 18 year olds with bright futures get signed before the draft. I want this to be a parachute for MLB, not a development league. The best players should make around 3 Million dollars a year, which is more than they want trying to bait a MLB team into signing them. Each season on January 23rd, a Free Agent draft will occur with the reverse order of standings from the previous year. The date is long enough after MLB is done signing players and still have some good players remaining, also my girlfriend's birthday. The roster caps at 25 and there's a reserve roster of 15 for injuries.

The teams play 108 games, which is 12 games against each team. The top 6 teams qualify for the playoffs, with 3-6 and 4-5 playing a best of 3. The winners advance to meet the top 2 seeds in a best of 7, then the Sun League Championship.

MLB and other independent leagues will be active. I've seen players traded to other independent leagues, so that variable will be fun to watch. I'll try my best to retain the players to become mainstays in the league, but there's a 5 million dollar contract buy out that will help the finances. The finances will be inflated by arbitrary numbers of merchandise and TV deal, but only to break even.

Along the way, I will release branding of special events to keep it interesting. What I need is support from you all! Pick teams! Go nuts!

I'm going to let this simmer while I set up the world on OOTP, and we can do the draft tonight in the lead up to the 2018 season!

2018 Season

Free Agent Draft

June

July

August

September

Playoffs

Flagler Cup

Offseason

2019 Season

Free Agent Draft

June

July

August

September

Playoffs

Flagler Cup

Hello and welcome to the Sun League Expansion Free Agent draft. The finest MLB players without clubs looking for a second chance to get back to the big leagues, or start a new journey and etch their name on a completely fresh league.

Here's the eligible players sorted by rating

draft-ratings.png

and here's the list sorted by MLB games played

Draft.png

To start, this is a serpentine draft.If you go first in the first round, you go last in the second round. Like a serpent.

Round 1

1. Vero Beach - SP Chris Smith: 12 career MLB games, lifelong AAA player

2. Ft. Lauderdale - RF Seth Smith: 1249 Games played for COL OAK SD SEA BAL. Career .261 batter

3. Sarasota - SP Jake Peavy: 3x All Star with the Padres and White Sox, 152 wins

4. Brevard County - 1B Adam Lind: 1344 MLB games, starting with Toronto. 200 Homers, 273 lifetime average

5. Orlando - LF Brandon Moss: 1061 MLB games with 6 teams, 2014 All Star. 

6. Winter Haven - RP Sugar Ray Marimon: Brief career with the Braves, last appeared in Korea.

7. Homestead - LF Andre Ethier: 1 Gold Glove and Silver Slugger, 2 All Star appearances all with the Dodgers.

8. Cocoa Beach - SP Scott Kazmir: 3 time All Star with Tampa Bay and Oakland, 109 career wins

9. Plant City - 3B Brett Lawrie: Memorable 4 year span with Toronto, .261 average

10. Ft. Myers - LF Franklin Gutierrez: Career with the Indians and Mariners. 2010 Gold Glove

Round 2

11. Ft. Myers - 2B Kelly Johnson: 1400 MLB games played, played for the entire AL East

12. Plant City - LF Melky Cabrera: All star with the Giants. Career .286 batter in 1687 games

13. Cocoa Beach - RP Joel de la Cruz: Career minor leaguer, briefly reached the majors with Atlanta in 2016

14. Homestead - C Geovany Soto: NL Rookie of the year and All Star in 2008

15. Winter Haven - CL Trevor Rosenthal: 2015 All Star with St. Louis, currently 4 stars and amazing ratings. Out 10 months after Tommy John's Surgery

16. Orlando - RP Charlie Leesman: 9 appearances for the White Sox, played for Independent Wichita last 2 seasons.

17. Brevard County - SP Nestor Molina: Career minor leaguer who played in Mexico for 3 seasons

18. Sarasota - RP Anthony Ranaudo: Handful of major league appearances for Rangers and White Sox. Had an unsuccessful year in Korea previously.

19. Ft. Lauderdale - 3B Johnny Peralta: 3 All Star appearances for Detroit and St. Louis. 30.7 career WAR, .267 career batter

20. Vero Beach - SP Scott Diamond: Short career with Minnesota and Toronto, went 12-9 and a 3.54 ERA in 2012

Other notable picks

21. Vero Beach - 1B Mark Reynolds: 281 MLB Home Runs, 4 consecutive seasons leading the league in strike outs

25. Orlando - 1B Matt Holliday: 7 time All Star, 4 Silver Slugger awards, .299 career average, batted. 340 in 2007 for Colorado 

31. Ft. Myers - SP Justin Masterson: 2013 All Star, 3 years of double digit wins in Cleveland. Is from Jamaica.

33. Cocoa Beach - LF Angel Pagan: 1124 games for 3 teams, and a .280 average. 

35. Winter Haven - 2B Brandon Phillips: 4 time Gold Glove winner, 3x All Star. Ranked 6th in Reds history in games played

36. Orlando - RF Jose Bautista: 7 All Star games, 3 Silver Sluggers. 331 career home runs. Probably follows you on twitter.

37. Brevard County - SS Stephen Drew: 1109 career hits in a career playing for 5 teams

39. Ft. Lauderdale - SS Erick Aybar: .271 hitter, 10 years with Anaheim, including 1 All Star appearance and Gold Glove

43. Sarasota - C Dioner Navarro: 2008 All Star with the Rays, bounced between 7 teams

51. Ft, Myers - SP Ricky Nolasco: 7 of an 8 year stretch with double digit wins, all on the Marlins.

76. Winter Haven - SS JJ Hardy: 3 Gold Gloves, 2 All Stars, and a Silver Slugger with Minnesota, and Baltimore

After this, the teams started going cheaper. Notable players who went undrafted include Melvin Upton Jr, Michael Bourn, Yunel Escobar, Ryan Howard, James Loney, Johnathan Broxton, and Joba Chamberlain.

They were all being signed at 6million dollars. I just assigned fictional player contracts, scaling everything back to the restraints I believe they deserve. Sarasota's payroll went from 90 million to 10 million. The teams got vastly better in year 2, this first season is filled with filler players. The season starts June 1st, so there is time for more good players to be added.

The way I measure how good our teams are is using the simulation module in the game. I will take our champion, and quick sim 162 games against the worst major league team, a comparable minor league team, and the best team in the American Association(what i consider the best independent league). 

Ft. Myers has the highest payroll of 17 million, Plant City has the lowest at 7 million. Adam Lind has the largest contract, a 4 year contract at 5.5 million a season.

I loved the branding thread, got some super cool concepts in there. I like your premise for this simulation, should be a lot of fun. Are the managers/GM's also former big league managers? Who are the owners of these clubs?

Fun fact, I was actually born in Largo and grew up in Clearwater til about 8 years old. I really like the Plant City identity and with it also being close to my place of birth, I'm officially a Fruit Bats fan!

I was born and raised in St. Pete and I have fond memories of going to the Plant City Strawberry Festival every year. So with that, I pledge allegiance to the Fruit Bats of Plant City!

The project overall has been so much fun to follow these past weeks, and I am really excited to see the sim get underway. Your league setup is a fresh take on the OOTP Fan Fiction sims on this board, so I can't wait to follow it along and see what's in store!

Thanks guys! Didn't expect any replies when I went to update this. 

52 minutes ago, Steelman said:

I loved the branding thread, got some super cool concepts in there. I like your premise for this simulation, should be a lot of fun. Are the managers/GM's also former big league managers? Who are the owners of these clubs?

Fun fact, I was actually born in Largo and grew up in Clearwater til about 8 years old. I really like the Plant City identity and with it also being close to my place of birth, I'm officially a Fruit Bats fan!

Owners are fictional, but if someone like Bruce Bochy is a free agent then there's a chance a team signs him. I believe the current set are fictional, but who knows.

The season kicked off June 1st, a day featuring 5 games stacked so endings wouldn't overlap.The first game was Cocoa Bach vs Sarasota with the pitching match up of Scott Kazmir vs Jake Peavy! The all-stars didn't disappoint. Jake Peavy allowed the ChocoSox to score the first batter, then both pitchers decimated the batters for the rest of the game. Peavy went 6 innings, 1 ER and had 7 K's, only to be outdueled by Scott Kazmir giving up 1 run in the 8th, going into the 9th with 9 K's. A month in and Kazmir still has the highest game score of 83.
Luke Hochevar and Kevin Chapman came in for relief as the game went to extras, ending in a FIRST SUN LEAGUE GAME WALK OFF DONG.

Game-2.png

Those two players's season's haven't gone the way they hoped. After 2 games, Peavy had to get elbow reconstructive surgery. It's likely he will retire, due to a 14 month healing process. Kazmir had a very good 4 games before having his season derailed for 3 months with forearm inflammation. DL time was the name of the game early. Matt Garza(Cocoa), JJ Hardy(Winter Haven), Angel Pagan(Cocoa), Erick Aybar(Ft. Lauderdale), and Jose Bautista(Orlando) all missed time.

In one game I watched, Rickie Weeks Jr.(Ft. Lauderdale) doubled in the first at bat of the game, only to injure himself legging it.

In my test game, Conor Gillaspie won the MVP. The former Giant was drafted in the 18th round by the Bog Hogs again, and proceed to light up the league early. At one point Gillaspie batted .666. However, the new batting leader is Geovany Soto, who is decimating the league batting .395, with 7 HR, and leading the league in average, homers, slugging, and on-base. Darwin Barney, Brett Lawrie, and Adam Lind also are having good starts to their year. Those three players are leading the league with 37 hits each.

Pitching is wild, I know no one near the top of these lists. Some half-star rated Dominican guy named Stolmy Pimentel has a 2.02 ERA in 6 games started. Ubaldo Jimenez is on Brevard County, sitting at 2-2 3.68 ERA.

The only trade was SP Dustin Richardson being traded from Homestead to Sugar Land Skeeters for CF Slade Heathcott, a good trade considering the CF before him was batting .124.

The standings look like this as we officially move to the heart of summer. Orlando started 9-2, so them crashing to earth is pretty shocking. Everyone is still in the fight so far.

July.png

1 hour ago, evoquik said:

I was born and raised in St. Pete and I have fond memories of going to the Plant City Strawberry Festival every year. So with that, I pledge allegiance to the Fruit Bats of Plant City!

The project overall has been so much fun to follow these past weeks, and I am really excited to see the sim get underway. Your league setup is a fresh take on the OOTP Fan Fiction sims on this board, so I can't wait to follow it along and see what's in store!

In waiting for Lutz or land o lakes myself , but I'll take Plant City since there close enough

July came and went, and the league standings started to become clearer. There wasn't much movement at the top, Ft. Myers went 10-16 this month dropping back to mid pack. Brevard County and Winter Haven became the clear favorites to win the league, seemingly broke the bubble that keeps teems at .500. Sarasota and Cocoa Beach have injured reserves almost as long as their main roster, although one team seems to be performing about the same without the likes of Kazmir and Aaron Hill.

A new batting leader has emerged! Cuba Bess, a fictional player who snuck in to a starting catching position with Brevard County is batting .397. If you don't care about team position, Melky Cabrera would be the strongest candidate. The former journeyman leads the league in Slugging, Hits, Total Bases, WAR, OPS, Doubles, and OBP. He's also second in batting with .390. The issue is he's on 8th place Plant CIty, although they seem to be moving up the table.

The only trade made this month was Orlando sending SP Gus Schlosser to the Long Island Ducks, getting former big leaguer Emilio Bonafacio. He's batting .324 as of now, so it seemed to help a CF situation at Champion Stadium

august.png

Absolutely crazy! Brevard County ships potentially the best pitcher in the league Ubaldo Jimenez to the Somerset Patriots in return for Endy Chavez and a reserve roster short stop! This is a bad trade from what I can see, and the 40 year old Chavez has not gotten off to a good start in his Sun League career.

But you know what? The Manatees keep winning. As a team, they lead the league in runs scored, average, on base percentage, stolen bases, runs against, starter ERA, and defensive efficiency. The two they aren't? Home runs (3rd) and Bullpen ERA (2nd). This team is far and away the favorite.

I typed up a whole paragraph saying that teams who were good early have stayed good. That's true for Brevard County, Winter Haven, and Vero Beach. Orlando and Ft. Myers are staying relevant, now treading right above 500. But the reason I had to redo my post was Cocoa Beach has dropped 7 straight entering the last month of the season! A 3rd place, 42-34 record is now 42-41 and outside the playoffs. That's also paired with Ft. Lauderdale winning ELEVEN STRAIGHT. To put into perspective on how amazed I am at this, them winning 11 straight puts them at 42-41. If they were 500 when the win streak started they'd be 2nd! To circle back around, their 9th win was an 11th inning walkoff over Cocoa Beach by Rickie Weeks.

The leader for best average keeps coming back to earth. Our friend Cuba Bess dropped 25 points in a month, but still has a 23 point lead over 2nd. Melky Cabrera and Brett Lawrie both are in the top 4 for average and lead almost half of the batting categories, yet the Fruit Bats absolutely suck. The other batters are dead weight, but their pitching is the real issue. Their best starting pitcher has an ERA of 4.40. This is something they need to address in the off season.

Sept.png

I will root for any team with Darwin Barney on it. Who am I a fan of now?

19 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I will root for any team with Darwin Barney on it. Who am I a fan of now?

Cocoa Beach ChocoSox! I believe he’s on the DL now

Down the stretch they come! The miraculous run of the Spikes continued into september, as Orlando faded late losing 7 straight at one point. Jose Bautista's injury may be the root cause of this. Brevard County was the first team to clinch the playoffs with about 15 to play. On the opposite end, Plant City was eliminated when they fell over 10 games back of the 6th position.

Surprisingly, both Homestead and Sarasota had 2 good weeks leading up to the end of the season, closing the gap on the last playoff spot. Paired with the Currents losing 5 straight, and Orlando being Orlando, Homestead was able to tie up the race to the finish with 4 games left. Just when you thought the race might be good, Orlando beat Homestead and the opener of their series against Brevard County and made that tie a playoff-clinching 2 game lead as the goes into it's last day.

october.png

Our boy Cuba Bess remained the batting champ as the league lead dropped. No one was particularly outstandng as pitching became the name of the game. Brandon Moss had a great year with 21 homers, earning a quarter of Orlando's league leading 83. The MVP race is pretty open, i could see Bess, Moss, or Melky Cabrera winning it all. The great thing about the new league is I have no idea what a ballpark estimate of all time homers could be! If 20 seems to be the max, and let's say a 23 year old comes in for a 15 year career, only 300 would be considered GOAT level. Should be an interesting thing to watch as we continue.

Stats1.png

Pitching was an afterthought to me, due to the fact big names survived the season. It'd be one thing if Kazmir and Jimenez duked it out, but only half seasons by each player took them out of the running. Sugar Ray Marimon was an early draft pick who was a work horse for Winter Haven. As far as I can tell, he had one of the better all around seasons. Brooks Hall of the ChocoSox is near the top of a few categories despite being a reliever. I expect him or Marimon to be the version of the Cy Young.

Stats2.png

Speaking of which, I'm open to suggestions for trophy titles! In my head I thought Floridian players, so hypothetically the Andrew McCutchen and Jose Fernandez(RIP) trophy. Let me know if you have any ideas before I do some research! Gonna let this sit for a while and then get to the 

*drum roll*

First edition of the Flagler Cup!

Wild Card Round

It's playoff time! The first two series are the #3 Vero Beach Azules and their monster pirching, vs #6 Orlando Jaguarundi and their home run hitters. On the other side of the bracket, #4 Ft. Lauderdale Spikes take on the #5 seed Cocoa Beach ChocoSox. Both match-ups were an even 6-6 split this season, so on paper they should be very good. 

Both game 1s ended 5-2, in favor of Vero Beach and Cocoa Beach. In game 2, Cocoa Beach held control after the 3rd and won 5-1. In the other series however, Chris McFarlane of Orlando scored both runners in a 9th inning double, leading to a 6-5 win.

Cody Martin, VB, took the mound for the decisive game 3. The Jaguarundi immediately loaded the bases, leading to a Sam Machonis bases clearing double. In the second, Brandon Moss goes yard to make it 6-0 in the 2nd.

Justin Seager gets an RBI double, 6-2. Jason Pridie is becoming Mr. October with his 3rd homer in 3 games, 6-3. Vero Beach gets the tying run to the plate in the 9th, but a K by their steady reliever Arnold Leon seals the upset by Orlando, advancing to play the Manatees.

Elimination Round

The #1 Manatees and #6 Jaguarundi started with a pitching duel unlike any other, both teams had 4 hits and BC won 1-0. They shared blows all week. 

Orlando 5-1

Brevard County 3-1

Orlando 7-5

No team could take control of the series, despite the Manatees big win advantage. Their MVP candidate Cuba Bess batted .083 in the first 4 games of the playoffs. Game 5 started in the worst way you can. Orlando loaded the bases then proceeded to draw walks and hit by pitches. With only 1 out, catcher Troy Stein hit a 3 run double. Brevard Pitcher Carlos Villanueva had a shut out in the previous playoff appearance! Don't get into a high scoring game with a team who can hit home runs at will. You would think that's their game, but with 7 on the board, the Jaguarundi put up EIGHT runs all with small ball. The game ended 17-3. Hows that for control of the series?

Well Brevard County went out and forced game 7 after a 6-3 slugfest. Game 7 was pretty calm through 7. Cuba Bess had a solo shot for BC, then in the same inning Orlando's bottom of the order scored 2. Jose Cuas of Orlando hit a solo homer for himself making it 3-1. Stephen Drew squeeked an RBI single into left to make it 3-2. The heart of BC's order came up to try to win the series in the most dramatic way possible. Unfortunately a ground out, strike out, and popup to center would not do it. Orlando wins the series 4-3 over top seeded Brevard County.

Cuas had 13 hits, 4 homers, and 11 RBIs this series! He batted .146 in 57 games this regular season, which he only had 2 homers and 12 RBIs! Insane.

#5 Cocoa Beach vs #2 Winter Haven was less flashy, but overall intriguing since it seemed more evenly matched. For 6 games they alternated wins.

Cocoa Beach 5-2

Winter Haven 8-2

Cocoa Beach 4-1

Winter Haven 8-7

Cocoa Beach 7-1

Winter Haven 2-0

Going into a game 7 with Sun League win leader Alex Balog vs Scott Kazmir. The first run of the game came in the bottom of the 2nd from JJ Hardy. In the top of the 3rd from a Darwin Barney single. In the bottom half of the inning, Conor Gillaspie hit a solo shot, then Brandon Phillips was able to score from 2nd after two singles. The ChocoSox got a 2nd run from a Robert Kral home run. The cement of this game began to set after that 4th inning homer. Kazmir was pulled after the 5th, and the ChocoSox bullpen pitched valiantly, allowing 0 hits the remainder of the game. Balog exited after 7 great innings with 9 K's. Eric Peterson of the Bog Hogs came into save the game with a 2 inning appearance, sealing the 3-2 win. 

Brandon Phillips also had great production this series, having 12 hits in 27 at bats. 

Setting up....

Flagler-Cup-02.png

26 minutes ago, raysox said:

Wild Card Round

It's playoff time! The first two series are the #3 Vero Beach Azules and their monster pirching, vs #6 Orlando Jaguarundi and their home run hitters. On the other side of the bracket, #4 Ft. Lauderdale Spikes take on the #5 seed Cocoa Beach ChocoSox. Both match-ups were an even 6-6 split this season, so on paper they should be very good. 

Both game 1s ended 5-2, in favor of Vero Beach and Cocoa Beach. In game 2, Cocoa Beach held control after the 3rd and won 5-1. In the other series however, Chris McFarlane of Orlando scored both runners in a 9th inning double, leading to a 6-5 win.

Cody Martin, VB, took the mound for the decisive game 3. The Jaguarundi immediately loaded the bases, leading to a Sam Machonis bases clearing double. In the second, Brandon Moss goes yard to make it 6-0 in the 2nd.

Justin Seager gets an RBI double, 6-2. Jason Pridie is becoming Mr. October with his 3rd homer in 3 games, 6-3. Vero Beach gets the tying run to the plate in the 9th, but a K by their steady reliever Arnold Leon seals the upset by Orlando, advancing to play the Manatees.

Elimination Round

The #1 Manatees and #6 Jaguarundi started with a pitching duel unlike any other, both teams had 4 hits and BC won 1-0. They shared blows all week. 

Orlando 5-1

Brevard County 3-1

Orlando 7-5

No team could take control of the series, despite the Manatees big win advantage. Their MVP candidate Cuba Bess batted .083 in the first 4 games of the playoffs. Game 5 started in the worst way you can. Orlando loaded the bases then proceeded to draw walks and hit by pitches. With only 1 out, catcher Troy Stein hit a 3 run double. Brevard Pitcher Carlos Villanueva had a shut out in the previous playoff appearance! Don't get into a high scoring game with a team who can hit home runs at will. You would think that's their game, but with 7 on the board, the Jaguarundi put up EIGHT runs all with small ball. The game ended 17-3. Hows that for control of the series?

Well Brevard County went out and forced game 7 after a 6-3 slugfest. Game 7 was pretty calm through 7. Cuba Bess had a solo shot for BC, then in the same inning Orlando's bottom of the order scored 2. Jose Cuas of Orlando hit a solo homer for himself making it 3-1. Stephen Drew squeeked an RBI single into left to make it 3-2. The heart of BC's order came up to try to win the series in the most dramatic way possible. Unfortunately a ground out, strike out, and popup to center would not do it. Orlando wins the series 4-3 over top seeded Brevard County.

Cuas had 13 hits, 4 homers, and 11 RBIs this series! He batted .146 in 57 games this regular season, which he only had 2 homers and 12 RBIs! Insane.

#5 Cocoa Beach vs #2 Winter Haven was less flashy, but overall intriguing since it seemed more evenly matched. For 6 games they alternated wins.

Cocoa Beach 5-2

Winter Haven 8-2

Cocoa Beach 4-1

Winter Haven 8-7

Cocoa Beach 7-1

Winter Haven 2-0

Going into a game 7 with Sun League win leader Alex Balog vs Scott Kazmir. The first run of the game came in the bottom of the 2nd from JJ Hardy. In the top of the 3rd from a Darwin Barney single. In the bottom half of the inning, Conor Gillaspie hit a solo shot, then Brandon Phillips was able to score from 2nd after two singles. The ChocoSox got a 2nd run from a Robert Kral home run. The cement of this game began to set after that 4th inning homer. Kazmir was pulled after the 5th, and the ChocoSox bullpen pitched valiantly, allowing 0 hits the remainder of the game. Balog exited after 7 great innings with 9 K's. Eric Peterson of the Bog Hogs came into save the game with a 2 inning appearance, sealing the 3-2 win. 

Brandon Phillips also had great production this series, having 12 hits in 27 at bats. 

Setting up....

Flagler-Cup-02.png

As a publix employee in Flordia. They really do make the most sense to sponsor this championship. Also, go Bog Hogs. Screw Orlandolt

Game 1: Orlando (C. Leesman, 5-7) vs Winter Haven (W. Perez 5-12)
Hero in the previous round Sam Machonis started the game off right with a two run triple in the 2nd. The next inning Matt Holiday hit a 383 foot blast to make it 3-0 early. The game stayed pretty calm for the middle portion of the game. Leesman pitching for Orlando still loads the bases for the slumping Lane Milligan for the Bog Hogs. A single over the shortstop brings in 2, closing the gap. Winter Haven managed to get JJ Hardy to 3rd in the bottom of the 9th, but the bottom of the order went quietly and Orlando wins game 1.

Flagler-Cup-gm1-03.png

Game 2: Orlando (C. Rodgers, 2-9) vs Winter Haven (J. Pettibone 9-6)

Another fast start by the plucky Orlando squad. With 2 outs in the first, Juan Cuas hits a double to the right field fence, scoring 2. Winter Haven answered though with a 2 run homer by Clint Robinson. Winter Haven again allowed some hits, and that set up Emilio Bonafacio a chance to hit a single with two on. The starters kept getting into trouble yet getting out of it. Both went just 5 innings, then turned it over to the bullpen who were lights out. Both players who came into the game for Orlando had 3 strikeouts. Winter Haven couldn't overcome the one run deficit, leading to a game 2 win for Orlando.

Flagler-Cup-gm2-03.png

Game 3: Winter Haven (A. Balog 12-7) vs Orlando (C. Littrell, 8-5)

Here is the true game 1 starting matchup we deserved! Both players pitched game 7 to get here, and now they were locking horns in a very important game 3. It lived up to the hype. Both pitchers went 7 innings without allowing a run. Littrell gave up 2 hits and had 8 Ks, while Balog had 3 hits and 10 Ks. I normally skip until runners are in scoring position and there was only 1 the entire game! Well, that was until Clint Robinson hit a 375 foot home run in the top of the 9th, and Winter Haven closing it out. Phenomenal game.

Flagler-Cup-gm3-03.png

Game 4: Winter Haven (S. Marimon 9-4) vs Orlando (N. Greenwood, 3-12)

Just like the rest of the year, Nick Greenwood had a bad night. After facing 2 batters, Greenwood left the game with hamstring soreness. Barrett Loux came in for some extreme relief. Winter Haven loaded the bases after 5 batters trying to strike first, but Loux rung up JJ Hardy ending the rally. Our old friend Sam Machonis got knocked home by lead-off hitter Sam Blair in the bottom of the 3rd. Loux weathered the storm, before Justin Marks entered the game. Marks allowed a Brandon Phillips RBI single score the runner from 2nd to tie it. Hardy walked, then Yorman Rodriguez hit a lazy pop-up to center. The center fielder got under it and muffed it! The ball lands, and Brandon Phillips scores. The Bog Hogs leave a runner at 2nd and 3rd, hoping it doesn't come back to haunt them. The game became quiet until the bottom of the 9th. Winter Haven's closer Eric Peterson came in and gave up a single and a walk. But with the game in doubt, a ground ball double play tied up the series at 2.

Flagler-Cup-gm4-03.png

Game 5: Winter Haven (W. Perez 5-12) vs Orlando (C. Leesman, 5-7)

After a quiet first, Winter Haven was able to get the first 3 batters of the 2nd on base. Surley they'd score! Well, Leesman held his cool and retired the side. The inning after though, a pass ball put runners in scoring position and Conor Gillaspie hit a sac fly to score Ross Kivett opening the game. After that, another bases loaded situation and another time Leesman wiggled out of it with minimal damage. Orlando put in Scott Lynan to hold it together in the 6th and he did the opposite. Two singles to start the inning followed by Lane Milligan sneaking a home run over the fence in right, 4-0 Winter Haven. Same inning, Orlando played some small ball and managed to score 2 runs on back to back hits, cutting the deficit in half. A few scares in the following innings, but Orlando was retired quietly in the 9th as Winter Haven becomes one win away from the Flagler Cup. Also worth noting Brandon Moss is 0-20 in this series.

Flagler-Cup-gm5-03.png

Game 6: Orlando (C. Rodgers, 2-9) vs Winter Haven (J. Pettibone 9-6)

Pettibone gets off to an awful start for Winter Haven, Emilio Bonafacio gets on base to start, then moved over and scored on a Matt Holliday single. Winter Haven strikes back with a 2 run Brandon Phillips double down the right field line. He's immediately knocked in by JJ Hardy to take a 3-1 lead in the 1st. In the 3rd, Clint Robinson hit a 2 run 361 foot blast to go up 5-1! Sam Machonis, who is starting over Jose Bautista, continues to earn his paycheck with a 2 run double in the 4th. This has become the highest scoring game of the series. The next batter is Troy Stein, hitting a home run over the left field fence to tie it up. Brandon Phillips again hits an RBI with a ground ball through the right side, then immediately being hit home by JJ Hardy. Bonafacio solo homer. Then Conor Gillaspie hits an RBI double down the line, in which Machonis injures himself handling. THe legend of Gillaspie grows with another RBI double to make it 9-6 in the decisive game 6. Orlando's last hope laid on Angel Reyes' shoulders and struck out in 3 pitches. Winter Haven wins the Flagler Cup! Clint Robinson and his 3 home runs was the MVP.

Flagler-Cup-gm6-03.png

So that's it! Thank you guys for year 1! The next post I make will be some post season stuff, but I hope you all enjoyed this. I'm completely open to suggestions on how to do this. I'd love for more responses obviously, but have to start somewhere.

Whoa, just stumbled upon this thread. Amazing job! How did you get the real players in this dynasty in OOTP? And how did you prevent the league the getting, like, the Mike Trouts and Bryce Harpers and ensure that the league is basically... washed up major leaguers who's too stubborn to move to Japan to continue their careers? (I meant this in a good way, lol) I mean, most independent leagues around here, despite how high their level of play are, still have a whole bunch of no-name guys playing in them. 

Yeah I loaded the MLB, Minors, and independent leagues when I created the Sun League. So they’re active while Japan and Korea aren’t. Since they’re active, their player database is also active. In a few years we may get a washed up or injured Trout who happens to not have a team. I believe Japan’s League still keeps records in case they ever get activated.

if I didn’t do this, then all the players would be fictional. Another option is activate all the leagues, then deleting them. This makes all the players free agents. I did this for my World Baseball Classic save so I could get the best American, Dominican, Korean players or whatever!

Go ChocoSox! I've gotten my team, and, as always, there's always next year!

4 hours ago, raysox said:

Yeah I loaded the MLB, Minors, and independent leagues when I created the Sun League. So they’re active while Japan and Korea aren’t. Since they’re active, their player database is also active. In a few years we may get a washed up or injured Trout who happens to not have a team. I believe Japan’s League still keeps records in case they ever get activated.

if I didn’t do this, then all the players would be fictional. Another option is activate all the leagues, then deleting them. This makes all the players free agents. I did this for my World Baseball Classic save so I could get the best American, Dominican, Korean players or whatever!

That's one massive file, haha. I figured you started up a normal game then added a "new" independent league and then went from there. Thanks! Now back to your regularly scheduled posts.... 

And go Bog Hogs!! (for the record, not because they're the best team, but because I love the name!)