Philadelphia Phillies Unveil New Primary Logo

SportsLogos.Net News

Philadelphia Phillies Unveil New Primary Logo

December 7, 2018 - 20:28 PM

Surprise! The Philadelphia Phillies this afternoon announced their new primary logo for the upcoming 2019 season. Courtesy a tweet showing a new t-shirt on sale at their official team shop, the team confirmed the new look which eliminates the diamond, […]

Read More...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Are we positive it's going to be navy?  Maybe it just appeared darker on the shirt. I'm holding out hope that it'll still be royal.

Why would they want to move to the color scheme of two other teams in their division.  60% of the division will have the same colors.  😐

There's been a few people asking about the navy on Twitter.  

Honestly, bright red and royal look bad on shirts and caps, and I wouldn't wear it.  While I'm not down with the team switching to navy, I'd probably buy a shirt or two with that scheme.  I wish they'd drop blue altogether, but that's for another day.

FWIW - Jean Segura tweeted a photo of him in his "new" cap, and it's the same royal as last year:

raw.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't see how it's "underwhelming" when viewed in historical context.  It looks like a Phillies logo.  It's at worst a lateral, and at best... well, probably still lateral.

It's just weird in 2018 to see a logo that's not "contained" and can just be applied on anything.  Miami's new one is like this, and we see the results with how the ball seams look dumb on non-white backgrounds.  

I worry that the stroke on the keyline isn't thick enough to support this being used on many different colored backgrounds.  The navy specifically could cause a problem.  On the bright side, like I said in the other thread, you probably won't see this on anything other than that shirt, since just the P is used as the avatar for social media and most game broadcasts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I don't like the navy blue.

As a Philly native, I agree fully. The Phillies have always been red and white (with gray aways and cream alts) to me, with blue as sort of a extra color.

I've been waiting for them to darken the red back to the old maroon and lighten the blue back to the powder blue of the '80s. That was a unique look, different than the other dozen teams in the league that use red, white, and blue.

That said, the need for a redesign or at least evolution was there. We're trying to attract some big free agents, and a new uniform set might play a role in that? I don't know. We need more cream, more powder blue, and less of the generic navy stuff.

tinysig.jpg

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't see how it's "underwhelming" when viewed in historical context.  It looks like a Phillies logo.  It's at worst a lateral, and at best... well, probably still lateral.

It's just weird in 2018 to see a logo that's not "contained" and can just be applied on anything.  Miami's new one is like this, and we see the results with how the ball seams look dumb on non-white backgrounds.  

I worry that the stroke on the keyline isn't thick enough to support this being used on many different colored backgrounds.  The navy specifically could cause a problem.  On the bright side, like I said in the other thread, you probably won't see this on anything other than that shirt, since just the P is used as the avatar for social media and most game broadcasts.

A red wordmark that will usually be used on a red background, the fact that they're going navy, navy stars on a navy background, lifeless bell shape. It's clearly missing something to be a good looking logo.

21 minutes ago, Jake3.roo said:

lighten the blue back to the powder blue of the '80s.

There was no power blue of the 80s - at least not when it came to their logos or color set.  Just like there's no gray now.  It was simply the color of the fabric for the road uniforms.

It's fine that you liked it - it's what I grew up with, and have fond memories of - but hasn't ever been one of their colors and shouldn't become one.

At least navy has been one of their colors before, albeit not any more recently than the 40s.

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There's been a few people asking about the navy on Twitter.  

Honestly, bright red and royal look bad on shirts and caps, and I wouldn't wear it.  While I'm not down with the team switching to navy, I'd probably buy a shirt or two with that scheme.  I wish they'd drop blue altogether, but that's for another day.

FWIW - Jean Segura tweeted a photo of him in his "new" cap, and it's the same royal as last year:

raw.jpg

That could be just a 2017 old stock ST/BP hat.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Why I don't like it.

1.  Navy blue.

2.  The bell looks too tall and clunky when standing on its own.

3.  The wordmark looks unbalanced when not contained within a shape because the capital P is so much bigger than the lower case s . . . particularly because the hook (?) on the left side of the P makes it so wide.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

There is something off about the new logo.

When the Phillies introduced their last logo in 1992 I was 7 years old, so its the logo I have always known.

I am glad they still went with a logo with the bell and Phillies instead of just the cap logo which I always figured they would do.

And the underline being gone is good, that never made sense to me and it seems the white outline is thinner now.

Dtnq03fVsAAqxeu.jpg

Archived