Philadelphia Phillies Unveil New Primary Logo

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

and a new uniform set might play a role in that

I doubt any pro player is going to make their team decision based on what the uniforms look like. That said, many solid, successful teams do have an equally solid identity, but that seems more coincidence than anything else.

The stars should be solid white on the blue bell to make a cleaner look. As is, the blue stars on blue bell with a thin white outline separating them is cluttered. Also it looks like they attempted to position the two letter ‘i’s’ to be symmetrically balanced within the bell yet the outline on the left star doesn’t touch the outer bell while the right star does touch. Small imperfections like these make a logo look clumsy in addition to the script already being heavy to the left.

6 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

The stars should be solid white on the blue bell to make a cleaner look. As is, the blue stars on blue bell with a thin white outline separating them is cluttered. Also it looks like they attempted to position the two letter ‘i’s’ to be symmetrically balanced within the bell yet the outline on the left star doesn’t touch the outer bell while the right star does touch. Small imperfections like these make a logo look clumsy in addition to the script already being heavy to the left.

Its CLUMSY looking because its a MOCK UP done by Chris Creamer or someone, its NOT the offical new logo, if you look at the shirt it is differences, the bells curves more to the bottom then that odd angle they gave it and the top part isn't so tall, and the stars outliines does touch the bells.

Honestly I know he wants to give us an idea of how the new logo is going to look like, but I wish he didn't since so many here are thinking thats it.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I have to question the mothership here...

philadelphia-phillies-logo-history-768x4

I obviously don't have files available, but the Independence Hall logo appeared everywhere that a primary logo would from around '84 - '87, before they went balls deep into maroon.  Without having any documentation I can't really question it, but this just doesn't feel right.

Also, the mockup on the white background makes it look really olde timey, which works for me (though the script still needs a full revamp.)

The Phillies probably don't want to have to replace many signs, especially the scoreboard Phillies sign so thats why they didn't tinker it much.

I went back and looked at old baseball cards and it's mixed which ones they used.  Fleer was usually pretty good at using the "primary" logo, and they match the mothership (though the P wasn't maroon till 87).    Upper Deck used the IH logo, and I remember seeing it a lot at the Vet, but that doesn't make it official.  WIthout evidence, I have to defer to the mothership here, hence why I edited my post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not really relevant, but I got this poster on opening day '92, when they debuted the now-current uniforms (they wore the maroon all through the preseason and even pre-game warmups... until the Phanatic brought in the trunks containing the new unis).

1992+Uniforms.JPG

Not my poster, but the best image I could find of it on the internet.

EDIT: Left to right:

John Kruk, Tommy Greene, Lenny Dykstra, Terry Mulholland, Dutch Daulton, "Mitchy Poo" Mitch Williams, Wes Chamberlain, Larry Bowa, Dale Murphy, Mariano Duncan.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Keep in mind you're looking at a mockup, not the actual new logo.  No official graphics have been released yet.

I hope they use this as an excuse to separate the P from the h in the jersey wordmark.  That's bugged me since day one.

I don’t like the navy blue, I don’t like that the wordmark looks thinner than before, and I don’t like that you can’t see the stars as well.

I may be okay with it once I get used to seeing it, or maybe the official version will look better, but for now I don’t care for it.

The mockup on a white background is quite plain without an outline, imo.

The one we see on the red t-shirt with the white around it is better.

I'm not totally sure when this was unveiled. It was probably unveiled yesterday or early in the day today.

I don't know that's official.  Sure looked navy on the shirts they released.

FWIW, while they've acknowledged it via Twitter, and it was released via an official (albeit relatively unknown) channel, Phillies.com is not only unchanged, but doesn't even mention the new logo.

5 hours ago, jaha32 said:

professional sports logos have such a cultural impact, its really unfortunate something so poorly done gets to be a part of it. slapping a script on top of the bell; that kind of forced integration can't possibly work. there's nothing iconic about it, there's nothing unifying about the elements, no elegance and no attempt at integration at all. those tangents, the alignment, the thinner key stroke, the overlap of the P-h (to create some kind of balance, and it's still off) and nasty curves/shapes. the absolute lack of craftsmanship is astounding.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived