Philadelphia Phillies Unveil New Primary Logo

SportsLogos.Net News

Where would this logo ever truly be used though outside of merchandise and maybe in some forms of print such as game programs? It's not on the uniforms and the cap logo (either in red or white) gets way more use so I feel like this new logo is gonna disappear into the sunset and be pretty forgotten soon enough.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

cut.jpg

It bothers me the inconsistency of the logos being used in a context like this. I know some teams like the Pirates have their cap logo as their primary logo but I think whoever puts together images like this should be allowed to mix and match the logos to create more unity. Like either make them all the simpler cap logos or all the more detailed "full logos" for lack of a better term.

The teams can designate whichever logos they want as primary or secondary or alternate or cap logos but in situations like this where multiple teams logos are together the person editing it shouldn't be restricted to just one type of logo across the board. 

21 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

There is something off about the new logo.

When the Phillies introduced their last logo in 1992 I was 7 years old, so its the logo I have always known.

I am glad they still went with a logo with the bell and Phillies instead of just the cap logo which I always figured they would do.

And the underline being gone is good, that never made sense to me and it seems the white outline is thinner now.

Dtnq03fVsAAqxeu.jpg

Off topic, but that’s a really cool coaster. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

I give this logo five years tops before the Phillies are back at the drawing board.

The previous one lasted 26 years.  Twenty six.  Twenty.  Six.  It's simply not reasonable to expect that this one - which clearly indicates that they aren't "rebranding" - will last fewer than 5 years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It appears to be a slightly darker royal blue.  

New Era stocks two colors of royal - perhaps the Phillies’ alts will now use the darker version (what the Dodgers wear) rather than the lighter version (what the Phillies used to wear, and what the Cubs wear).

The Phillies' alternate caps already use the darker royal blue.

7 hours ago, Bmac said:

2017 used a different material. 2016 didn't feature the New Era logo. So it is indeed the 2018 version.

How can you tell in that rough pic of Segura's hat that it's a different material than Diamond Era? 

I realize it's not Pro Light...but Pro Light was 2018. If it's next year's hat, it should be the 2019 version.

In the picture, the outlines of the logo are thick, but the red part of the P is mesh, which would match the 2017 BP hat (including the NE logo).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As someone stated, it's likely old stock they had laying around.  I wouldn't read anything into his cap.

As for the jerseys on the site being on sale and having limited player availability, I also wouldn't read anything into that, because it seems that all or most teams are having the exact same sale, and the Phillies only have two or three marketable players when it comes to jerseys (Hoskins and Nola.  Maybe Herrera but he has a lump of poo in his skull where his brain is supposed to be.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/9/2018 at 9:20 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

As someone stated, it's likely old stock they had laying around.  I wouldn't read anything into his cap.

As for the jerseys on the site being on sale and having limited player availability, I also wouldn't read anything into that, because it seems that all or most teams are having the exact same sale, and the Phillies only have two or three marketable players when it comes to jerseys (Hoskins and Nola.  Maybe Herrera but he has a lump of poo in his skull where his brain is supposed to be.)

Yea, I am glad all my jerseys are from the early 2010s.

Also my pennant I got where I work has the old primary.

On 12/9/2018 at 1:29 AM, Bmac said:

The Phillies' alternate caps already use the darker royal blue.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:29 AM, Gothamite said:

Ah, there you go.  They’re just matching their logos to the colors they already use. 

Sure about that?  Looks like the lighter blue to me...

ff_2659872_full.jpg&w=340 ff_2659199_full.jpg&w=340 ff_2659847_full.jpg&w=340

These are 2018 models.  Phillies looks equal to Cubs, and Dodgers looks darker than each.  It's hard to find game photos to compare since the lighting is so different in all of them.  

On 12/8/2018 at 10:12 PM, Around the Horn said:

Am I the only one who feels like a cap logo should never also be the primary logo?

I’m torn on that - I totally understand the functionality of it in a social media driven age, with (most) cap logos being more visible on icons and thumbnails and mobile scoreboards and such. And there are some teams like the White Sox whose primary has basically been thier cap logo for years anyways, and they don’t really need anything else, so it’s all good there. 

On the other hand, I think it has depleted some identities a little. I think of the Rockies especially - not that they’ve ever had a grade A identity, but the switch to the cap logo as the primary made the visual identity a whole lot less interesting than it already was as the logo with the actual mountains (and a nice chunk of purple) got set to the wayside. I don’t really like it for the Pirates either; I’d much rather they have some kind of pirate be the actual primary. I mean, the “P” is good and well-known, but “Pirates” is just one of those names I want to see visually expressed in sports. I don’t think a “P” really cuts it well enough on its own. The Padres are another one; give me the Swingin’ Friar or give me death. 

I think it’s really kind of a case by case basis. I think there’s some teams that could get away with switching to it just fine, like the A’s or Orioles (cause if I’m not mistaken, the primary is still the “Orioles” script with the bird perched on top, right?), mayyyyybe the Twins. Big, big maybe.

On the other hand, some teams could lose a lot of visual identity charm by dumping thier primaries such as the Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, perhaps even the Royals, Red Sox, or Mariners (I just love that the primary looks like a compass. I’m a sucker for that). I dunno, I honestly think we’re eventually heading to an era where everyone's primary is a cap logo (or if not that, something else simplified) in order to be better seen on apps/sites/icons/profile pics etc., and it will help some teams, be okay for some, but hurt others. It’s just gonna depend on the team I think.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m torn on that - I totally understand the functionality of it in a social media driven age, with (most) cap logos being more visible on icons and thumbnails and mobile scoreboards and such. And there are some teams like the White Sox whose primary has basically been thier cap logo for years anyways, and they don’t really need anything else, so it’s all good there. 

On the other hand, I think it has depleted some identities a little. I think of the Rockies especially - not that they’ve ever had a grade A identity, but the switch to the cap logo as the primary made the visual identity a whole lot less interesting than it already was as the logo with the actual mountains (and a nice chunk of purple) got set to the wayside. I don’t really like it for the Pirates either; I’d much rather they have some kind of pirate be the actual primary. I mean, the “P” is good and well-known, but “Pirates” is just one of those names I want to see visually expressed in sports. I don’t think a “P” really cuts it well enough on its own. The Padres are another one; give me the Swingin’ Friar or give me death. 

I think it’s really kind of a case by case basis. I think there’s some teams that could get away with switching to it just fine, like the A’s or Orioles (cause if I’m not mistaken, the primary is still the “Orioles” script with the bird perched on top, right?), mayyyyybe the Twins. Big, big maybe.

On the other hand, some teams could lose a lot of visual identity charm by dumping thier primaries such as the Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, perhaps even the Royals, Red Sox, or Mariners (I just love that the primary looks like a compass. I’m a sucker for that). I dunno, I honestly think we’re eventually heading to an era where everyone's primary is a cap logo (or if not that, something else simplified) in order to be better seen on apps/sites/icons/profile pics etc., and it will help some teams, be okay for some, but hurt others. It’s just gonna depend on the team I think.

This is some great analysis, I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said here. I’ve become increasingly on board with some teams adopting cap logos as primaries, to better suit the modern social media age. 

The Orioles in particular like you mentioned are one that could really use a switch to the cartoon bird as the primary.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but the Giants are another team that I think could afford to switch to the cap logo if they wanted to.

For the Twins, on the other hand, it’s simply a shame that Minnie and Paul isn’t the primary logo.

9 hours ago, Bmac said:

Yes.

DuL18tuXcAY3x1H?format=jpg&name=large

Hard to argue with that. I wonder how that compares to the stars and blue on that jersey. I definitely like that shade better for them. 

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Orioles in particular like you mentioned are one that could really use a switch to the cartoon bird as the primary.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but the Giants are another team that I think could afford to switch to the cap logo if they wanted to.

I don't think the Orioles use the ornithologically-correct bird anywhere in their media package anymore. It'd be easier to make the cartoon bird the primary, or stick it in a roundel.

The Giants could totally do to shift the ball-and-wordmark to secondary status. I get that it's the traditional "primary" design for them, but the "SF" (black with orange outline) or this old roundel logo (cleaned up and without Copperplate, obviously) would be marked improvements:

1foo4n63rn1ejb8eds6sppper.gif

On 12/7/2018 at 3:23 PM, insert name said:

So that's 3 teams in the NL East with Red and Navy. Ugh, can they be a little unique? That's why I didn't mind their current uniforms. 

Following the SEC West with Bama, MSU and A&M all rockin the crimson/maroon and white look. 

Toss in Arkansas and Ole Miss with the red alts and you basically have only Auburn and LSU with original color schemes. At least those two don't share a mascot... 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived