Philadelphia Phillies Unveil New Primary Logo

SportsLogos.Net News

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I get the brand cohesion thing, but that oriole is already part of their brand.  If they’re going to use it, it should be on a cap. 

I don’t know if I’d be up for a script “B”. They already have this beautiful logo in their history, but stubbornly refuse to use it. 

1955-baltimore-orioles-fitted-baseball-c

Either way, it would be so much better than “O’s”.  Hate that cap.  Have a little pride in your hometown, birds.  Worry less about selling merchandise in Bakersfield or Jacksonville. 

On the first point, I’d just eliminate the realistic bird. Maybe use it as a BP cap, but never more than that. I dislike any and all realistic bird hats. Let it fade into the ether while the Cartoon Bird becomes the center point of the brand.

On the second point, I do like the Old English/Script-styled “B.” I prefer a cursive “B” because it’s easier to embroider on the head of the Cartoon Bird and I like cursive letters on caps. Maybe I’m alone in this, I’m not sure. The “O’s” hat needs to go away for good, but a similarly-styled “B” monogram would look nice.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This orioles talk is both fascinating and totally relevant. 

So, the store didn’t reply to any tweets that people have sent regarding jersey changes. I have to assume that the stars will be a little darker - unless they were already the same shade, which seems likely.  I’m not sure how Majestic’s blues work - if they’re standardized like NE’s, or altogether different. Regardless, I’m hoping for an update to the road. Simpler trim and no pants stripes would be good, since there’s no way they’ll eliminate the white altogether. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This orioles talk is both fascinating and totally relevant. 

So, the store didn’t reply to any tweets that people have sent regarding jersey changes. I have to assume that the stars will be a little darker - unless they were already the same shade, which seems likely.  I’m not sure how Majestic’s blues work - if they’re standardized like NE’s, or altogether different. Regardless, I’m hoping for an update to the road. Simpler trim and no pants stripes would be good, since there’s no way they’ll eliminate the white altogether. 

They should just make a gray version of their cream alt as that has a thinner trim.

3 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

They should just make a gray version of their cream alt as that has a thinner trim.

I'd like to see a mockup of that.  It would elminate the white, which would make me happy, but I don't like the blue stroke against the red.  It worked in the 40s, but the lettering wasn't as bubbly, and the stroke may not have been as thick.

I REALLY F'ING wish that they'd go with blue socks/sleeves on their alts.  It looks stupid to have all red accessories but the blue cap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Their primary has the real-looking bird on it.  A better real-looking bird than they wore in the 1990s. 

954px-Baltimore_Orioles_logo.svg.png

I’d love to see that guy by himself on an alternate cap. 

I'd like to see them take this bird and make an all black/orange version as the alternate hat.  Basically the current bird in the style of their original hat logos:

drmnshfh32gy45a3ha5gy0mvz.png

oqg6ffqgjfbee87zp3v0wskfk.png

The ornithologically correct bird looks really clunky as a cap logo. I never really liked the 90s Orioles look on account of the cap and the home whites. The wordmark was mostly black with orange accenting that got swallowed up a little too much. It was a pretty bland look compared to the solid orange wordmark they wear now.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd like to see a mockup of that.  It would elminate the white, which would make me happy, but I don't like the blue stroke against the red.  It worked in the 40s, but the lettering wasn't as bubbly, and the stroke may not have been as thick.

I REALLY F'ING wish that they'd go with blue socks/sleeves on their alts.  It looks stupid to have all red accessories but the blue cap.

Yeah, but I go back and forth on that. It would probably look better but I really don’t want the Phillies to be a blue team. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That first wordmark, though.  Their best ever. 

I like this one more, as it’s a perfect medium between the dynasty-era script and the modern one:

j8em437lxleljjeo85gk72ulg.png

A cleaned up up version of the 1960’s “Baltimore” script would be the perfect match.

Back to the Phillies, I would like to see them “remaster” the Whiz Kids script from the 1950s elements instead of the photocopied materials from the 1992 redesign.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I get the brand cohesion thing, but that oriole is already part of their brand.  If they’re going to use it, it should be on a cap. 

I don’t know if I’d be up for a script “B”. They already have this beautiful logo in their history, but stubbornly refuse to use it. 

1955-baltimore-orioles-fitted-baseball-c

Either way, it would be so much better than “O’s”.  Hate that cap.  Have a little pride in your hometown, birds.  Worry less about selling merchandise in Bakersfield or Jacksonville. 

That's listed in online shops as the 1955 cap but I've never seen a picture of them actually wearing it.

al_1955_baltimore.gif

The O's cap with the upside down apostrophe needs to be replaced by this 1963 model
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6FH5Ee99EoUEpWlchogQ

34 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

That's listed in online shops as the 1955 cap but I've never seen a picture of them actually wearing it.

al_1955_baltimore.gif

The O's cap with the upside down apostrophe needs to be replaced by this 1963 model
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6FH5Ee99EoUEpWlchogQ

The 1955 cap wasn’t actually a cap, it was a batting helmet.

14892045975_670598b065_b.jpg

14892046115_a5271b62f4_o.jpg

That block B should be on the cartoon bird’s cap. 

I really love seeing a new reply to the Phillies logo thread only to see that it's just about the Orioles.  Maybe start a new thread for that?

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I really love seeing a new reply to the Phillies logo thread only to see that it's just about the Orioles.  Maybe start a new thread for that?

Balt-jacked!  ;) 

I'll help you drag this back to the Phillies.  I wonder if the color thing is like what other MLB clubs have done with their digital files, making the colors better match the on-field product.  Since the beginning of MLB Properties' digital program, the colors have been somewhat faded.

For example, this is how they used to represent the Braves' logos from the early 1990s through 2017.

xd20x6ydha4hz868h5n6h3ifg.gif5171491987.gif

That doesn't look much like their midnight navy.  This year, the files were darkened:

5152952018.gif5135862018.gif

That looks a lot more like it.

So it's possible that the Phillies aren't changing their actual colors, just the way those colors are represented in the digital files.

At least from the back, there's no change on the home jersey.  The batterman looks to be the lighter royal, but hard to say.

Gods those numbers are dumb.  They might as well just use Comic Sans.

DuuGuCDXgAAqy1w.jpg

Not sure that means anything.  After all, the TB Bucs numbers are unmistakably the Bucs. 

Archived