Seattle Sea Lions NHL (UPDATE 12/10)

DTConcepts

The prospect/confirmation of a Seattle NHL team is exciting. There are so many ways to go with the branding. Emeralds, Metropolitans, Sockeyes, Totems, tons of good names. However, one that's been in the back of my mind for god knows how long is the Sea Lions due to its near-alliteration and unique identity. So I decided to take it and run. Here's what I ended up doing. I'll give everything an explanation at the end.

VMIrJfe.jpg

0SLl7yO.jpg

ni4zfDx.jpg

LhDym1S.jpg

s1twOsC.png

The logo was spurred by the Seattle flag. When I first begun ideating for the logo, that's where I started - with a circular shape and an identity based off of that. However, that idea didn't mesh well with the Sea Lion I'd drawn up, so I went for a fairly generic circular shape. The dark green in the background was initially slated to be a very basic 'S', which eventually turned into solely a circle after it got lost in the Sea Lion imagery.

Of course I felt a need to use the green/blue color scheme - it's the northwest, right? However to help differentiate the team from the Canucks, I decided to make green the primary color, and add yellow/gold in as a tertiary color to help make it pop.

The jerseys are a mix between modern and old, as is my style. I figured Adidas would push a more modern approach, hence the squared shoulders, but the team would want a more classical looking style, which is why there's some striping that's not all too fancy.

That's really all I've got. Anything I should change?

First off, the logo set is amazing. I know that logos aren’t your speciality, but the sea lion and the space needle are rendered in the perfect blend of realism and minimalism for today’s NHL. The colour scheme is interesting, but I’d mess around with other ideas. I think a double blue, double green, or a steel blue and red would do wonders for the design. With the current colour scheme, the uniforms look very busy colour-wise. I like the shoulder stripes, but the striping pattern feels very generic, and a bit Vegas-y. The templates aren’t perfect, and some of the colours are off, but if you keep working at it, I can see this being the template you settle with. Keep tweaking this concept, great work!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

On 12/7/2018 at 8:08 PM, Zeus89725 said:

The prospect/confirmation of a Seattle NHL team is exciting. There are so many ways to go with the branding. Emeralds, Metropolitans, Sockeyes, Totems, tons of good names. However, one that's been in the back of my mind for god knows how long is the Sea Lions due to its near-alliteration and unique identity. So I decided to take it and run. Here's what I ended up doing. I'll give everything an explanation at the end.

VMIrJfe.jpg

0SLl7yO.jpg

ni4zfDx.jpg

LhDym1S.jpg

s1twOsC.png

The logo was spurred by the Seattle flag. When I first begun ideating for the logo, that's where I started - with a circular shape and an identity based off of that. However, that idea didn't mesh well with the Sea Lion I'd drawn up, so I went for a fairly generic circular shape. The dark green in the background was initially slated to be a very basic 'S', which eventually turned into solely a circle after it got lost in the Sea Lion imagery.

Of course I felt a need to use the green/blue color scheme - it's the northwest, right? However to help differentiate the team from the Canucks, I decided to make green the primary color, and add yellow/gold in as a tertiary color to help make it pop.

The jerseys are a mix between modern and old, as is my style. I figured Adidas would push a more modern approach, hence the squared shoulders, but the team would want a more classical looking style, which is why there's some striping that's not all too fancy.

That's really all I've got. Anything I should change?

Maybe Sea Hawks colors 

• DTConcepts changed the title to Seattle Sea Lions NHL (UPDATE 12/10)

Looks pretty good! I'd say it the logos have too many outlines, and are kinda samey both in circles. However, the colors (especially w/ salmon) are great and the Space Needle rendering is really nice. Jerseys are nice, if a bit simple.

While it's certainly fine as is, I've got some ideas to maybe consider:

• desaturate the pink a bit and/or 
  • add a Metros-fauxback alt and/or
  • combine the Needle and Seal into one logo + promote the S to shoulder patch

Good work!

Archived