Another spring attempt: Freedom Football League

raz

Looks like the philosophical opposite of the XFL:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25470052/former-nfl-players-plan-launch-freedom-football-league

Cities and names already, no logos:

San Diego Warriors, Oklahoma City Power, Portland Progress, Texas Revolution, Ohio Players, Florida Strong, Birmingham Kings, St. Louis Independence, Connecticut Underground and Oakland Panthers.

40 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

OH NO, THE OHIO PLAYERS, they’ve really gotten too creative this time!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Player

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I like to hear the reasoning behind these names. Connecticut Underground? seems more for an urban city like Oakland

Take a look at the team pages, explanations are there. Somehow, each city and each name are somehow tied to the civil rights movement. 

Oakland is where the Black Panthers were founded, for example. 

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind these names. Connecticut Underground? seems more for an urban city like Oakland

I'm guessing its a reference to the Underground Railroad, as a number of the names seem as though they could be referencing the civil rights and/or social justice movements.

That's good.  It's about time there's a league where the names aren't made up by a bunch of white guys saying "how about pioneers, or federals?"  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

Except, of course, the NFL itself.

I'm not counting the NFL since they aren't really competing with any of those leagues since their seasons don't run at the same time.  It would be really dumb if any of them tried.

14 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I'm of the opinion that a springtime minor league is needed. I, for one, will watch the AAF when it comes on. I want these to succeed in some form, whether they all merge or one dominates.

I am with you on this.  It is a huge problem that there are 3 different groups trying to start up. If they could pool their resources and align on one model, one league, it could actually have a chance, but I worry that egos and the core concepts are just too different.  I would love a longlasting spring AAA league to be reality because I just cannot get into NBA or MLB and even NHL only marginally holds my attention.  I was a huge USFL fan back in the day, and while I don't think a true NFL rival league can exist, a AAA feeder league playing in smaller stadiums could really work for me. 

On 12/12/2018 at 8:03 AM, WideRight said:

I am with you on this.  It is a huge problem that there are 3 different groups trying to start up. If they could pool their resources and align on one model, one league, it could actually have a chance, but I worry that egos and the core concepts are just too different.  I would love a longlasting spring AAA league to be reality because I just cannot get into NBA or MLB and even NHL only marginally holds my attention.  I was a huge USFL fan back in the day, and while I don't think a true NFL rival league can exist, a AAA feeder league playing in smaller stadiums could really work for me. 

Well they're all taking different paths to try and make this happen, which I suppose is good. Though the FFL in particular seems to be overlaping itself with its two competitors, which isn't. Good news is with 3 models being thrown at the wall, there's more chances for something to stick. 

Archived