NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

20 hours ago, Teal said:

No and no. 

Going full Seahawks with the redesign. 

It’s so early in the game that I won’t go so far as to say this absolutely won’t turn out good or anything like that. For all I know, they may knock it out of the park, and I hope they do. But I will say I’m a bit apprehensive about something that sounds as extensive as “going full Seahawks”. There’s potential there for it to go wrong. 

I’ve never gotten a good pulse of the consensus to know where my opinion falls on the popularity spectrum, but when Carolina wears the right combinations, I really think they’ve got a very great look. I may even have them in my top ten if I were ever to sit down and put it together. And to be totally honest, I rarely see any Panthers concepts that I feel are improvements on what they have now. I’ve never liked a black helmet for them because the logo always looks lost on it being primarily black (and should the logo change but still be a black panther, it’s still going to have the same problem unless there’s a whole lot more blue there). Of the modern takes I’ve seen, most end up looking a bit too cliche or even corny, and many of them also don’t seem to balance the colors as well. The concepts which work that I have seen for Carolina don’t go that far; they simply build upon or modernize the bones of what they have now and maintain that good look while bringing it forwards.

Of course I’m basing this all on preference and I don’t mean to imply there’s universal rules to this, but I do worry Carolina has the potential to take things too far with a redesign and where that seems to be a bit of a trend with most Panthers concepts overall in my personal view, I wouldn’t be surprised if the end-result fell into the Titans’ area of the spectrum; overdone, quickly dated, cliche and corny.

But like I said, it’s still early and they might end up nailing it. I do hope they get it right. Crossing fingers.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It’s so early in the game that I won’t go so far as to say this absolutely won’t turn out good or anything like that. For all I know, they may knock it out of the park, and I hope they do. But I will say I’m a bit apprehensive about something that sounds as extensive as “going full Seahawks”. There’s potential there for it to go wrong. 

I’ve never gotten a good pulse of the consensus to know where my opinion falls on the popularity spectrum, but when Carolina wears the right combinations, I really think they’ve got a very great look. I may even have them in my top ten if I were ever to sit down and put it together. And to be totally honest, I rarely see any Panthers concepts that I feel are improvements on what they have now. I’ve never liked a black helmet for them because the logo always looks lost on it being primarily black (and should the logo change but still be a black panther, it’s still going to have the same problem unless there’s a whole lot more blue there). Of the modern takes I’ve seen, most end up looking a bit too cliche or even corny, and many of them also don’t seem to balance the colors as well. The concepts which work that I have seen for Carolina don’t go that far; they simply build upon or modernize the bones of what they have now and maintain that good look while bringing it forwards.

Of course I’m basing this all on preference and I don’t meant to imply there’s universal rules to this, but I do worry Carolina has the potential to take things too far with a redesign and where that seems to be a bit of a trend with most Panthers concepts overall in my personal view, I wouldn’t be surprised if the end-result fell into the Titans’ area of the spectrum; overdone, quickly dated, cliche and corny.

But like I said, it’s still early and they might end up nailing it. I do hope they get it right. Crossing fingers.

Metallic electric blue helmet would be an improvement.

30 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Metallic electric blue helmet would be an improvement.

I’m down with that! I could see that looking really nice. Tennesseee balked on a light blue lid, so the door’s open for Carolina to own it if they want.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 minute ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m down with that! I could see that looking really nice. Tennesseee balked on a light blue lid, so the door’s open for Carolina to own it if they want.

I do think the Panthers current blue would translate to a helmet better than the Titans columbia blue, but either one would be nice as a metallic look.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

Of course I’m basing this all on preference and I don’t meant to imply there’s universal rules to this, but I do worry Carolina has the potential to take things too far with a redesign and where that seems to be a bit of a trend with most Panthers concepts overall in my personal view, I wouldn’t be surprised if the end-result fell into the Titans’ area of the spectrum; overdone, quickly dated, cliche and corny.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I've never seen a Panthers concept that I've truly liked. Which is why I am expecting a new look to include more black, italicized numbers, stripes going nowhere and some BS story telling us to ties into the local culture. 

So yeah ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

We like the Color Rush because the pant stripes aren't cut off a third of the way down the legs. Even if they used those as a base, they need to add white stripes on the sleeves as well and white numbers on the brown uniforms for clarity, brown numbers on the white jerseys, and white with brown outline on the orange jerseys. And no monochromes whenever possible. The only time it works is when they wear all white. And they need sock stripe patterns instead of one color socks. The 1986 style patterns work the best. 

Modern jerseys aren't cut like those in 1986. Sleeve stripes aren't a thing anymore. Jerseys haven't had sleeves for the vast majority of players in decades. And the few quarterbacks or kickers that don't like their jerseys cut tight to their pads aren't really who we should be designing uniforms for.

The little 'end caps' on Shoulders shouldn't have any form of striping because they're not sleeves. Maybe solid colors. Adding another color just makes it more of an eyesore.

Modern colors aren't going to let us go back to the 80s. Uniform materials can't match that grainy rugged look you remember as a kid. Anything is either going to be 'matte' or 'glossy'. We've seen the Browns with modern colors, and Brown is the best option to make it look good. I like the monochrome brown, and adding a third color doesn't work. If you place white anywhere on the color rush jersey it's going to look as out of place as the red numbers on the Dodgers.

The biggest problem is every jersey sold, new or old style, doesn't match what the players wear because their uniforms aren't like that. Getting the Colts hoops, or the USC shoulder arcs would look better, but we're stuck with stripes and I'm doubting that's going away. So, the fewer, the better. Orange and Brown are the Browns. Let white be the road uniforms. Monochrome for both is fine (not a fan of the white jersey and brown pants look).

6 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I do think the Panthers current blue would translate to a helmet better than the Titans columbia blue, but either one would be nice as a metallic look.

The Florida Tuskers from the defunct UFL pretty much had Panthers blue helmets. Looked pretty good. Now the rest of their uniforms.... lol

c700x420.jpg

5271428540_0f5e031be7_b.jpg

Tuskers-Lions-2250.jpg

Hotter Than July > Thriller

31 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Modern jerseys aren't cut like those in 1986. Sleeve stripes aren't a thing anymore. Jerseys haven't had sleeves for the vast majority of players in decades. And the few quarterbacks or kickers that don't like their jerseys cut tight to their pads aren't really who we should be designing uniforms for.

gettyimages-626168758.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Those are basically just rectangles with a stripe pattern.  Not much different than if it was just a logo patch and the logo was stripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

24 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

The Florida Tuskers from the defunct UFL pretty much had Panthers blue helmets. Looked pretty good. Now the rest of their uniforms.... lol

c700x420.jpg

Tuskers-Lions-2250.jpg

Other than the light blue jersey, those uniforms are decent and not that different than the Panthers. Bonus points for the light blue socks. I wouldn’t mind if the Panthers changed there helmet to light blue and ditched the grey pants. The problem is that they have shown that they like to wear black socks with black pants, which is vastly inferior to the light blue socks. 

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

c700x420.jpg

Tuskers-Lions-2250.jpg

Those colors just don’t clash well in my eyes.

9 hours ago, WSU151 said:

gettyimages-626168758.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

Not sure what your intention is by posting this picture.  I may be in the minority but I actually think this type of sleeve stripe looks better on the modern jersey than it did on the old jerseys with long sleeve.  

13 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

c700x420.jpg

Tuskers-Lions-2250.jpg

What's the deal with the random neon-green trim on some of it (but not all)?

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

What's the deal with the random neon-green trim on some of it (but not all)?

In the UFL's first season (blue jersey pic) all if it's teams wore the same template using the league's official colors (bright blue, lime green, silver and black). In the UFL's second year (black and white jersey pics) teams were allowed to have unique uniforms and colors. The Florida Tuskers chose to keep blue as one of their colors in year 2.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, if only there were some team somewhere still willing to try...

sleeves_zpszxbgf8xq.png

I think you inadvertently proved his point.  All but the Washington #12 guy and KC #15 (is that Mahomes?) can barely be described as wearing stripes.

In the context of football jerseys, I think many- if not most- people consider sleeve stripes to go all the way around, which obviously 99.7% of them can't anymore.  I liken those - especially like in the Lions and Giants photo - to be simply designs or logos that just happen to have a striping pattern and vaguely resemble football-jersey stripes.

They look ridiculous IMO, and those teams should change their designs to work with modern football jersey cuts.

Think about it like this - if you're a kid seeing these for the first time, without knowledge of the history of the sport, wouldn't you wonder why they're faking stripes or even have patterns like that on their shoulders?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I dunno, personally I really don’t think the modern take on stripes looks that bad overall. They may not wrap around like intended anymore, but I don’t think the terminations on either side against the sleeve cap edges really harm things all that much. The designs still serve thier purpose of helping the color balance/distribution of the set as a whole. 

The only team I can think of that I feel has botched it too bad to keep is the Steelers, simply because I think they’re cramming a bit too much within that space, but I don’t have much of a problem with others. Sure you could theoretically replace everyone’s “stripes” with numbers or a logo to keep up with the times and they might work for each team in a vacuum, but I think that’d get pretty stale across the league if that’s what everyone was doing. I like the variety of having some teams keep “stripes” of some kind and some having numbers/logos instead. And where I don’t think these modern takes on stripes are really as bad as they’re made out to be sometimes, I don’t see any reason to get rid of the concept across football entirely. That’s just my preference and opinion though.

Let’s do fix the Steelers up a bit, though! I’m fine with that.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

In the UFL's first season (blue jersey pic) all if it's teams wore the same template using the league's official colors (bright blue, lime green, silver and black). In the UFL's second year (black and white jersey pics) teams were allowed to have unique uniforms and colors. The Florida Tuskers chose to keep blue as one of their colors in year 2.

They made all the teams wear the same colors for one year? That's dumb IMO, but minor league football gonna do what it gonna do...

Archived