NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Elmos World 17 said:

Funny how everyone is biased towards the black outline on the Chiefs helmet. If the outline was originally yellow no one would want it to change. We’re letting nostalgia and the idea that we can’t update a “classic” get in the way here.

Things don’t exist in a vacuum. History plays a role in how we view most things, and it shouldn’t be discounted in pursuit of phantom “objectivity.”

“If the Yankees’ uniforms were unveiled today everyone would hate them!” 

Yeah, but they weren’t. And pretending they were to discount all the history there isn’t an objective view of those uniforms. It’s a manufactured one. 

Same thing here. 

14 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Their helmets are blue though..

Is this just that one guy who kept insisting Air Force’s grey jerseys were khaki despite evidence to the contrary all over again? 

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Things don’t exist in a vacuum. History plays a role in how we view most things, and it shouldn’t be discounted in pursuit of phantom “objectivity.”

This is true, but I also think if you’re evaluating something like that, considering those subjective factors is part of the process. So, you have to ask yourself, what does the black in the Chiefs’ logo accomplish in terms of design, and what does it mean in the context of history?

Black doesn’t do much for the design, in my opinion. It makes the small monogram look a bit muddy, and removing black from the arrowhead (or switching it out to gold) doesn’t present any contrast issues. I also think black makes the logo a bit drab compared to gold. Red and gold is beautifully vibrant and surprisingly unique in sports. Show it off on your important pieces. I’ve been wrong before, but I honestly don’t think the fanbase would mind bringing gold into the helmet, either. I bet a lot of people don’t even notice the black, let alone have an attachment to it.

The historical argument is stronger, but I don’t see the Chiefs history on the same level as that of the Steelers or Yankees, for example. They had a great first decade (three AFL championships, one of which came in Dallas with a logo that featured gold, but not black 😉, plus the Super Bowl win after the 1969 season), followed by a couple forgettable decades and a couple decades defined mostly by the underachievement of several really good teams. If you ask me, the 49ers have a much better case to keep black in the logo for tradition’s sake, and while I think that mark would be better without black, I find their situation less egregious because their helmet has never abandoned either of the main red and metallic gold colors.

Long story short, black in the Chiefs’ logo is a net negative for me, even when considering the historical context.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

if i were football Czar, id take yellow out of the Chiefs identity completely. maybe replace with silver? more black? bronze?

i just dont like red and yellow together, especially yellow touching white - those elements look like they’re glowing and ill never be able to not think of fast food with those colors, so it looks cheap. and on a more practical branding level, i think its closer to Washington’s look than it should be. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

if i were football Czar, id take yellow out of the Chiefs identity completely. maybe replace with silver? more black? bronze?

i just dont like red and yellow together, especially yellow touching white - those elements look like they’re glowing and ill never be able to not think of fast food with those colors, so it looks cheap. and on a more practical branding level, i think its closer to Washington’s look than it should be. 

To each their own, but I disagree completely with this take. I don’t see fast food at all - probably because it’s a football uniform worn in a football stadium and not a clown outfit worn at an actual fast food restaurant. 

Im not big on white and yellow touching, but it works for me on their white jerseys. The red does have the glow effect, and a double outline (thin red between white and yellow) would clean that up. I would just leave it though rather than clutter it up     

The Chief uniform isn’t my favorite by any stretch, but it’s not because of the colors. I think it’s time to modernize the KC, eliminate the sleeve stripes in favor of either nothing or shoulder hoops, add a slightly custom number font, and simplify the pants striping. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

To each their own, but I disagree completely with this take. I don’t see fast food at all - probably because it’s a football uniform worn in a football stadium and not a clown outfit worn at an actual fast food restaurant. 

Im not big on white and yellow touching, but it works for me on their white jerseys. The red does have the glow effect, and a double outline (thin red between white and yellow) would clean that up. I would just leave it though rather than clutter it up     

The Chief uniform isn’t my favorite by any stretch, but it’s not because of the colors. I think it’s time to modernize the KC, eliminate the sleeve stripes in favor of either nothing or shoulder hoops, add a slightly custom number font, and simplify the pants striping. 

yes, context is important. i wasn't even suggesting they SHOULD change, but that i hate the colors and would like it very much if they DID change. red and yellow is a gross color palette to me.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Is this just that one guy who kept insisting Air Force’s grey jerseys were khaki despite evidence to the contrary all over again? 

No, it's the guy who deals with the good folks at Riddell and Schutt on a regular basis, and pays attention to details such as the fact that the Cowboys helmets are officially "Metallic Texas Blue"..

14 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I really can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not and that’s bugging me

Not sarcasm at all.. just evidence-based fact

14 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

No, it's the guy who deals with the good folks at Riddell and Schutt on a regular basis, and pays attention to details such as the fact that the Cowboys helmets are officially "Metallic Texas Blue"..

And the Seahawks call the grey they and every other NFL team use "wolf grey." Colour names are marketing. They mean nothing. The Cowboys have silver helmets.

29 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

The Cowboys have been calling it Metallic Blue since as far back as the early 80s if not longer. Long before colors were a marketing tool.

Not really? Colours have been given arbitrary names for a long time. So what's your point? Doesn't make the colour the Cowboys use any less silver.

"Cool Silver"

3 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

The Cowboys have been calling it Metallic Blue since as far back as the early 80s if not longer. Long before colors were a marketing tool.

its not about marketing, though. lets not give that impression. its as important to label/number colors as it is fonts so there is a standard for a consistent reproduction. if i call a printer and say "i want this in silver" there could be 10 different inks to choose from. which one? if we're talking about "texas silver blue" thats a very specific color and everyone is on the same page. this was probably more of a problem back in the day, before the PMS and brand standards but having a system or a name for color is a production/design thing. i can't recall them ever using anything other than "silver" in terms of selling anything or referring to the brand in public communications

GRAPHIC ARTIST

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

Well, it's an evolution of this.. which was certainly blue enough to be called blue..6290c1fbdd4ab932d96c92f0dd6a4e6c.png

cowboys-ctk-greatest-dallas-cowboy-of-al

Especially if you consider the color of the pants (before they were adjusted to Metallic silver green (with white jersey) and true silver (with navy jersey)..

Even pre silver-green those matte pants are very blue (most columbia) compared to the blue tinted silver helmets. Either way they need to dump s-g and settle on a custom blend of silver and blue and fix it all.

Archived