FightingGoldenDevil

NFL changes 2019

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Chiefs road jersey does look pretty nice without the yellow outline on the numbers...(granted it's a practice jersey, but it's "cleaner")

 

201901181245459505089

 

 

That does look really nice. I’d be on board with them removing the black from the helmet and essentially becoming more  of a red and white team than a red and gold team. I do like the idea of keeping gold as a tiny accent in the stripe of an otherwise red and white look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That does look really nice. I’d be on board with them removing the black from the helmet and essentially becoming more  of a red and white team than a red and gold team. I do like the idea of keeping gold as a tiny accent in the stripe of an otherwise red and white look.

 

They wore that in preseason, back in the day. 

 

1964_KansasCity.png

 

I think that would look great, and solves the problem of insufficient sleeve space. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I mean, you could do a cuff stripe or just move the numbers up the shoulders as they do now, but I’m digging the idea of gold being limited to a small accent in only the sleeve and sock stripes and the rest being just red and white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel a little differently. I’m cool with tingle color numbers... but I’d like to see gold used even more. 

 

Model after the Steelers, but with sleeve details that make sense in today’s NFL. Yellow pants would work, but they could keep with red and white if they want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Yeah. I mean, you could do a cuff stripe or just move the numbers up the shoulders as they do now, but I’m digging the idea of gold being limited to a small accent in only the sleeve and sock stripes and the rest being just red and white.

The cuff stripe is the ideal solution imo..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cuffs are basically non-existent for skill positions on current templates, though, so single contrasting color cuffs are typically the best you can do. 

 

The Redskins are the closest example I can think of of stripes on the cuff (see: Alex Smith, Adrian Peterson), but only because those players wear jerseys with bigger/looser sleeves and they can wrap that fabric all the way around the sleeve to create that effect. Look at skill players like Josh Doctson, though, and you’ll see it’s a truncated stripe that covers the sleeve cap just to create the look rather than the actual cuff itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Cuffs are basically non-existent for skill positions on current templates, though, so single contrasting color cuffs are typically the best you can do. 

 

The Redskins are the closest example I can think of of stripes on the cuff (see: Alex Smith, Adrian Peterson), but only because those players wear jerseys with bigger/looser sleeves and they can wrap that fabric all the way around the sleeve to create that effect. Look at skill players like Josh Doctson, though, and you’ll see it’s a truncated stripe that covers the sleeve cap just to create the look rather than the actual cuff itself. 

LSU has no issue pulling it off..

And it appears as though the majority of the Redskins' players (or at least a sizeable number of them) opt for the more cuff-friendly jersey cut anyway.. it seems as though only a marginal number choose the single-color-cuff-plus-solid-color-stripe option..

I don't see this being an actual issue if Nike and/or the Chiefs truly care about getting the look right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LSU’s yellow stripe is a very small, truncated piece of fabric sewn onto a purple cuff, so we can agree to disagree that “they have no issue pulling it off.” It looks nothing like the purple-yellow-purple cuffs that existed on older templates. And the Chiefs should just leave the stripes on the sleeve caps as they are currently constructed because it looks much, much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

LSU’s yellow stripe is a very small, truncated piece of fabric sewn onto a purple cuff, so we can agree to disagree that “they have no issue pulling it off.” It looks nothing like the purple-yellow-purple cuffs that existed on older templates. And the Chiefs should just leave the stripes on the sleeve caps as they are currently constructed because it looks much, much better.

LSU's stripe is certainly a bit thinner than ideal, but it's easy to see that there's plenty more room for a wider, more ideal center stripe.. also, the cuff used on the previous template had a bit more real estate and would be an easy substitution in this situation.. and all that is disregarding the fact that the Redskins already show us that there are aesthetically pleasing ways to get the cuff issue fixed.. 

Washington-Redskins-Defense.jpg

Everyone other than 36 looks great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington should have done what Chicago and Kansas City did in 2012 when Nike took over: move the numbers up to the shoulder so that the stripes have more room to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Washington should have done what Chicago and Kansas City did in 2012 when Nike took over: move the numbers up to the shoulder so that the stripes have more room to work.

Nah, they just need to do a better job as an organization enforcing the optimal jersey cuts and holding Nike accountable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

Nah, they just need to do a better job as an organization enforcing the optimal jersey cuts and holding Nike accountable

 

Moving the stripes to the sleeves would allow for full sized stripes which its how they were intended to look, plus they can return to the full width numbers they had previously (tho the current treatment doesn't look much worse). And they'd look consistent across the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

 

Moving the stripes to the sleeves would allow for full sized stripes which its how they were intended to look, plus they can return to the full width numbers they had previously (tho the current treatment doesn't look much worse). And they'd look consistent across the board. 

Well, they weren't intended to end abruptly when they reach the torso seam, so it's not how they were intended to look.. in the photo I posted, #35 and #48 look fantastic.. that's the quintessential Redskins look.. sleeve stripes and shoulder numbers wouldn't look right for them.. there's no reason the sleeve numbers can't be a bit bolder at this size if that's even an issue.. but as I said, the guys with the normal sleeve cut look fantastic, so there's really no issue.. especially if they would take a page from the Seahawks' book and put all non-linemen into a cut with sleeves 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Well, they weren't intended to end abruptly when they reach the torso seam, so it's not how they were intended to look.. in the photo I posted, #35 and #48 look fantastic.. that's the quintessential Redskins look.. sleeve stripes and shoulder numbers wouldn't look right for them.. there's no reason the sleeve numbers can't be a bit bolder at this size if that's even an issue.. but as I said, the guys with the normal sleeve cut look fantastic, so there's really no issue.. especially if they would take a page from the Seahawks' book and put all non-linemen into a cut with sleeves 

 

And if you look at any other Washington photo from 2018 half the players' stripes are not even visible, some of them even have part of their number folded under their pads. 

Sleeves are getting smaller and smaller, utilizing that space just doesn't make sense. The bears and chiefs route makes much more sense and is a much more consistent look throughout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

 

And if you look at any other Washington photo from 2018 half the players' stripes are not even visible, some of them even have part of their number folded under their pads. 

Sleeves are getting smaller and smaller, utilizing that space just doesn't make sense. The bears and chiefs route makes much more sense and is a much more consistent look throughout. 

It's a different cut.. Nike manufactures three standard cuts: QB, Skill, and Lineman.. the ones you're referring to are wearing the Lineman cut.. it has become the popular cut because players think less is more.. certain teams (like the Seahawks) make the Skill cut standard for their players, and they look much better for it.. it's really an easy fix if you're the organization and concerned with aesthetics.. I mean, heck, some teams have avoided even moving to Nike jerseys, so it's not like there isn't a precedent of teams putting value in aesthetics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

 

And if you look at any other Washington photo from 2018 half the players' stripes are not even visible, some of them even have part of their number folded under their pads. 

Sleeves are getting smaller and smaller, utilizing that space just doesn't make sense. The bears and chiefs route makes much more sense and is a much more consistent look throughout. 

It's a different cut.. Nike manufactures three standard cuts: QB, Skill, and Lineman.. the ones you're referring to are wearing the Lineman cut.. it has become the popular cut because players think less is more.. certain teams (like the Seahawks) make the Skill cut standard for their players, and they look much better for it.. it's really an easy fix if you're the organization and concerned with aesthetics.. I mean, heck, some teams have avoided even moving to Nike jerseys, so it's not like there isn't a precedent of teams putting value in aesthetics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's a different cut.. Nike manufactures three standard cuts: QB, Skill, and Lineman.. the ones you're referring to are wearing the Lineman cut.. it has become the popular cut because players think less is more.. certain teams (like the Seahawks) make the Skill cut standard for their players, and they look much better for it.. it's really an easy fix if you're the organization and concerned with aesthetics.. I mean, heck, some teams have avoided even moving to Nike jerseys, so it's not like there isn't a precedent of teams putting value in aesthetics

But I think you’re confusing your aesthetic preference for performance and players want what they can perform better in. Less loose fabric on the sleeves gives a slightly better range of motion and just because the stripes may look better on a different cut doesn’t mean the team is going to give up that slightly better range of motion. Does it actually improve performance? That’s can be debated, but in my personal experience in high school, tighter sleeves were more comfortable (granted, I’m nowhere near an NFL player) and I doubt an NFL team would make players wear something they find uncomfortable just so a couple people will say the stripes look slightly better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jn8 said:

But I think you’re confusing your aesthetic preference for performance and players want what they can perform better in. Less loose fabric on the sleeves gives a slightly better range of motion and just because the stripes may look better on a different cut doesn’t mean the team is going to give up that slightly better range of motion. Does it actually improve performance? That’s can be debated, but in my personal experience in high school, tighter sleeves were more comfortable (granted, I’m nowhere near an NFL player) and I doubt an NFL team would make players wear something they find uncomfortable just so a couple people will say the stripes look slightly better 

Do those Redskins sleeves I posted look like loose, baggy material? 

I'm not confusing anything.. I'm the head equipment manager for a college program, and also coach a position group.. I understand football jerseys.. and my opinion takes all performance issues into account.. but a proper sleeve doesn't affect anyone more than silly little cap sleeve designed for linemen.. their issue is mostly due to weighing 300 lbs, and things pinching, etc.. not so much performance. 

When the Seahawks were on their dominant run a few years back, guess what their team issued as the standard cut..  I'll give you a hint, it's not the one with the smallest sleeve.. all their skill players wore the skill cut.. and it looked much better than the idiots wearing the Lineman cut with their armpits hanging out.. even their QB (Russell Wilson) wore the skill cut.. and he has the most important range of motion on the team.. perhaps they're not as restrictive as you suggest 🤔.. maybe players think a certain thing looks better, and don't care as much about performance if the difference is negligible.. that's my experience.. and I'd argue the smaller sleeves actually offer as much on the negative side of performance (if not more) than the normal skill cut..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Newport said:

Rams and chargers new uniforms in 2020 correct?

Rams are getting new uniforms in 2020.

 

For the Chargers, we're not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now