NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an article I just saw with Rams COO Kevin Demoff, hinting at what the Rams new uniforms are going to be like. Here is the link below if anyone wants to read it. Seems like they want to do a modernization of the throwbacks. Here is the interesting quote. "We've told Nike the one thing that is sacrosanct is the horns," Demoff said. "The goal is a modern take on our historical jerseys."

https://247sports.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/Article/Los-Angeles-Rams-uniform-changes-2020-Kevin-Demoff-128581221/

4 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Only slight changes to the Jets' logo. Addition of black to color scheme. Sounds like we're getting a Detroit Lions-style uniform update (not the most recent ones, but either of the two redesigns that included black).

So like their 2009 logo Change?

lions_before_after.jpg

1982-2002 Uniform/2003-2008 Uniform/2009-2016 Uniform/2017-present Uniform

da0Lbhs.png

7 hours ago, Bluefalcon said:

Don't get me started...okay, too late:

Arlington Cowboys

Carson Chargers

Landover Redskins

Foxborough Patriots

East Rutherford Giants/Jets

Orchard Park Bills

Glendale Cardinals

Bloomington Vikings (oops)

The Vikings don't belong on this list since they are a state branded team that plays in the state, unlike the Jets/Giants.  And they haven't played in Bloomington in nearly 40 years since they moved into the Metrodome in 1982.

Likewise the Patriots also don't belong on this list as the "New England" area is one that comprises of an area in the country consisting of Maine, Vermont, new Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island not specifically the Boston area.

18 hours ago, lbj273 said:

The Vikings don't belong on this list since they are a state branded team that plays in the state, unlike the Jets/Giants.  And they haven't played in Bloomington in nearly 40 years since they moved into the Metrodome in 1982.

Likewise the Patriots also don't belong on this list as the "New England" area is one that comprises of an area in the country consisting of Maine, Vermont, new Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island not specifically the Boston area.

Here's a team who does. The Nashville Titans.

18 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Here's a team who does. The Nashville Titans.

I can't stand these conversations.  The location of the team's stadium is just 1 (small) part of how to label the team in terms of location.  You build the stadium where you have room to build one. It could be way outside the city limits, could be downtown, could be in a different state altogether.  Wherever there's a place to build it.

It makes just as much sense (zero) to name a football team after the specific location of their stadium as it does to name them after the location of their training facility and front offices, and in fact if you really want to go down that route then it actually makes more sense since the practice facility is where they spend 99% of their time.  The team only spends 3 hours a week at their stadium. Every other working moment is at the training facility. So if you want the Jets to be the East Rutherford Jets then they should really be the Florham Park Jets which is just as dumb.

But anyway, you name your team based on the location and fans you want to represent, be it the city, borough, 1 state, 2 states like carolina,  6 states like new england.  Whatever marketing purposes or regional purposes you want, that's what you name your team.   The specific location of the stadium doesn't matter. 

As much as it seems to bother some people that the Jets don't call themselves the East Rutherford Jets (seriously?) is how much is bothers me that it bothers them. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

14 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

What's stopping the eagles from wearing a throwback like the Rams do? The helmet and jersey might not match but it wouldn't be the end of the world

Because the Rams throwback is at least accurate to what they wore in the past, if the Eagles wore current helmets with any of their throwback stuff it would stand out like a sore thumb and be inaccurate.

7 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Current shell with different decals

The Rams legitimately wore a dark, almost navy helmet prior to the 2000 season. Midnight green does not match with throwback kelly green.

VmWIn6B.png

On 2/1/2019 at 6:52 PM, ARTnSocal said:

Not necessarily ... they're kinda confusing the public, many who don't know NFL history from those early years, just as many don't know that college football was way bigger than the newly formed NFL back then.

Although the ACME/GB Packers were in existence as early as the 1910's, they didn't join the new league which became the NFL until 1921, it's 2nd season, meaning they aren't a 100-year NFL club member until 2020.  They must've been celebrating their 100 year existence as GB rather than their 100 year 'NFL' existence.  Which would mean they were formed as the Acme Packers way before 1919, I think? 

When I went to a game and saw Lambeau Field (Bills at Packers) I went to the GB Packers Hall of Fame, very closeby. They had some really old team apparel in glass casing from the early 20th Century, and I thought the team was formed even earlier than 1919. That leads me to believe they became GB in 1919 and before that they must've been 'ACME'.  

Will have to ask a Packers fan with some serious acumen of their history.

It looks like the Packers are Wile E Coyote's favorite team!

6 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Yeah this (admittedly terrible) mockup looks bad. 

UVbrLJC.jpg

But make the jersey midnight green with silver numbers and all of a sudden it becomes a simple, modern take on the throwback, and a top 5 uniform in the league.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived