NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

On 2/14/2019 at 7:28 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Sent out to perspective Browns' season ticket buyers...

DzSrAZrU8AAl_LK_zpsu6lyhriv.jpg

Socks and gloves? Now there's an incentive. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:24 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, you'll never convince me that the super-tight jerseys and non-existent sleeves don't have as least as much to do with fashion and aesthetic choice on the part of the players as they do with performance.  If Nike came out with a new jersey cut that was baggy and ended with an elbow length sleeve, even if they showed unimpeachable evidence that it drastically improved performance, players wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. 

I disagree. Much of it is "look good, play good." In high school, we cut slits into our jersey cuffs and tied shoe laces through them so we could have tight sleeves like the pros. But it goes to the pros, too. They want to look like everybody else does. I think if Nike jerked themselves off over a new elbow-length baggy template and got a few top players to buy in, it would be the standard within a few years.

It's less likely to happen because there actually is a functional reason for a football jerseys to be tight. But fashion goes in cycles. Michael Jordan started wearing long shorts, then the entire NBA (along with every college and high school kid) was soon wearing longer shorts. They kept getting longer and the jerseys kept getting baggier, reaching an apex in the early 2000s when Allen Iverson took the court in shorts past his knees with jerseys 3 sizes too big. This was in the awful era or Jncos, Fubu, carpenter jeans, and wide-legged suits with long coats. The Lakers wore lakeshow throwbacks with short shorts about a decade ago, and were so embarrassed by their legs showing that they changed to longer shorts at halftime. But in the last decade, fashion in general changed to tighter clothes for men, and Nike started pushing the fitted jerseys in college for a few years before pros started buying in. Currently, the jerseys are tighter and the shorts have gotten shorter. I don't watch the NBA anymore, but I saw the Lebron James is wearing tighter shorts that stop a few inches above the knee. So maybe in a year or two, players will be mid-thigh shorts and Nike will start pushing ball-hugger shorts John Stockton as their next advancement. 

Anyway, while it probably isn't likely we'll see baggy football jerseys with long sleeves again, I could absolutely see it if Nike starts pushing it and gets a start player to set a trend. Particularly with wide-receivers. I could see a star wearing long sleeves in tribute to Michael Irvin or something, leading to other receivers following suit.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1 hour ago, TheOldRoman said:

I disagree. Much of it is "look good, play good." In high school, we cut slits into our jersey cuffs and tied shoe laces through them so we could have tight sleeves like the pros. But it goes to the pros, too. They want to look like everybody else does. I think if Nike jerked themselves off over a new elbow-length baggy template and got a few top players to buy in, it would be the standard within a few years.

It's less likely to happen because there actually is a functional reason for a football jerseys to be tight. But fashion goes in cycles. Michael Jordan started wearing long shorts, then the entire NBA (along with every college and high school kid) was soon wearing longer shorts. They kept getting longer and the jerseys kept getting baggier, reaching an apex in the early 2000s when Allen Iverson took the court in shorts past his knees with jerseys 3 sizes too big. This was in the awful era or Jncos, Fubu, carpenter jeans, and wide-legged suits with long coats. The Lakers wore lakeshow throwbacks with short shorts about a decade ago, and were so embarrassed by their legs showing that they changed to longer shorts at halftime. But in the last decade, fashion in general changed to tighter clothes for men, and Nike started pushing the fitted jerseys in college for a few years before pros started buying in. Currently, the jerseys are tighter and the shorts have gotten shorter. I don't watch the NBA anymore, but I saw the Lebron James is wearing tighter shorts that stop a few inches above the knee. So maybe in a year or two, players will be mid-thigh shorts and Nike will start pushing ball-hugger shorts John Stockton as their next advancement. 

Anyway, while it probably isn't likely we'll see baggy football jerseys with long sleeves again, I could absolutely see it if Nike starts pushing it and gets a start player to set a trend. Particularly with wide-receivers. I could see a star wearing long sleeves in tribute to Michael Irvin or something, leading to other receivers following suit.

My issue with the entire phenomenon is that there is no functional purpose for the elimination of sleeves.. you can have jersey that's tight on the torso to eliminate holding and jersey tackling, while maintaining a functional amount of sleeve..

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

My issue with the entire phenomenon is that there is no functional purpose for the elimination of sleeves.. you can have jersey that's tight on the torso to eliminate holding and jersey tackling, while maintaining a functional amount of sleeve..

The elimination of the sleeve is because a tight sleeve directly against the pad can’t be grabbed. You all can say it has no functional purpose all you want, but that is a bold face lie. 

11 hours ago, dont care said:

The elimination of the sleeve is because a tight sleeve directly against the pad can’t be grabbed. You all can say it has no functional purpose all you want, but that is a bold face lie. 

A tight sleeve against the pad CAN certainly be grabbed... To say otherwise would be one of those "bold faced lies."

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Exposing the end of the pads actually makes it easier to grab them.  A tight sleeve that also covers them completely would actually do what you say. 

Yes, it's just shifting the "problem" from one area to another.  

With players trending towards smaller pads these days, I wonder if it's possible to actually build them into the jerseys, kinda like how suit jackets or 1980's style women's blouses had.  That would be the closest thing to eliminating the issue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

The latex like-sleeveless fit may well be a trend that dissipates.  Watching these AAF games - the teams starter uniforms and the fit are much more aesthetically pleasing (not talking about the underarm panels/stripes).  Not sure if performance it affected at all. 

On 2/14/2019 at 8:28 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Sent out to perspective Browns' season ticket buyers...

DzSrAZrU8AAl_LK_zpsu6lyhriv.jpg

There’s an argument the Browns’ redesign is the worst in sports history. Not only is it poorly conceived and ugly on its own merits, but it craps on a proud franchise history and disregards tradition for the sake of gimmicks and pandering. 

Related, I want those socks. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

A tight sleeve against the pad CAN certainly be grabbed... To say otherwise would be one of those "bold faced lies."

If you want to nit pick, yet it is still possible, but it becomes incredibly harder which is the point of them. Any time there is more material to grab defenders will use it to make a tackle, and blockers will use it to control a defender. The skin tight materials do help prevent this. It’s not for fashion despite how much you want to get people to believe it.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

If you want to nit pick, yet it is still possible, 

So accusing a fellow poster of “a bold faced lie” was perhaps a bit unwise?

And yeah, for some players it is absolutely about fashion.   Just as some players apply eye black or select unusual face masks for fashion. 

13 hours ago, dont care said:

Firstly, I never advocated against tight sleeves.. I advocated against eliminating them in favor of these little cap sleeves..

The cap sleeves do 2 harmful things.. 

1 - they often expose the end of the pads and create an opening to grab the pad directly or grab the jersey where it's supposed to cover the pad..

2 - the armhole cuts on cap sleeve jerseys often create a perfect holding location on either side of the chest, making it easier for the player wearing the jersey to be held..

As an equipment manager and coach for a college team, I can tell you that I know very well what I'm talking about.. specifically in this area.

And I'll repeat my initial claim:

There's no functional purpose for the elimination of sleeves...

1 hour ago, dont care said:

If you want to nit pick, yet it is still possible, but it becomes incredibly harder which is the point of them. Any time there is more material to grab defenders will use it to make a tackle, and blockers will use it to control a defender. The skin tight materials do help prevent this. It’s not for fashion despite how much you want to get people to believe it.

You're referencing tightness, or "fit".. I'm referencing entire parts of the jersey..

A similar distinction could be made for jersey length.. according to your theory, jerseys should be the length of belly-shirts, since that would cut down on fabric to be grabbed..

But we all realize it would open the entire bottom hem to become a new tackling handle.. which is why longer, tucked-in, skin-tight jerseys are the norm..

A longer sleeve ABSOLUTELY IS NOT easier to grab simply because it's long.. in fact, evidence would suggest the contrary.. to suggest that sleeves must be short to avoid being grabbed is a bold face lie..

From this article...

QUESTION: Two-part question. First, for the NFL's celebration of the 100th season, will there be any special uniform situations across the league where teams will wear patches or have restrictions lessened for using alternative or throw-backs? Also for the Broncos, are there any efforts for making something like the Color Rush a permanent change in the future (moving to white pants of course)?

ANSWER: 

The 100th season is a league-wide initiative and it’s also the Broncos’ 60th season. Parrtt-yy!

There will be a 100th patch for all teams. I would expect the Broncos to honor their all-time greats in conjunction with the Hall of Fame celebrations of owner Pat Bowlen and cornerback Champ Bailey. Bailey will head the Broncos’ new Ring of Fame class that should be announced when the committee gathers in April.

The Broncos are looking into possibly incorporating different uniform designs this season, but nothing is finalized.

Expect new Uniform or uniform options for the Broncos Next Year possibly? If I were them, I’d just make the CR Primary With White pants, and never change again.

da0Lbhs.png

Archived