NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

39 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

as a fan, im not a fan of that number font. it was used by a few teams back in the day, but every time i see it i think of the Staubach-era Cowboys. thats their font. ive always liked the idea of of adding blue pants though (with white striped socks like Harbaugh there). i really love the boldness of the large shapes in their uniform, so breaking up the primary pieces (helmet, jersey, pants, socks) by color works well for them, especially because there's only 2 colors. 

adding those pants would give them a fresh option, but i think they should stay a classic brand. black cleats and gray masks work really well on a uniform thats been around since the 50s. the blue mask was a trend that now looks like "old Colts" instead of "classic Colts", especially considering the players who wore a gray mask for (most of) their careers there.

I agree.  In my mind, the Colts are in a tough spot.  They have, without question, a classic uniform, one that many people would consider untouchable, just on history alone.  But I also think it's gotten a little stale, especially the all-white road. And I personally think the modern uniform cuts have been particularly rough on the design.  In a vacuum, eliminating any historical considerations, I wouldn't see any reason not to mess with it. But in this case history is a consideration.  Blue pants (as long as they also use those white socks) would be a subtle way to freshen things up without wholesale changes.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

They have, without question, a classic uniform, one that many people would consider untouchable, just on history alone.  But I also think it's gotten a little stale, especially the all-white road. And I personally think the modern uniform cuts have been particularly rough on the design.  In a vacuum, eliminating any historical considerations, I wouldn't see any reason not to mess with it.

This could've been said about the Browns uniforms from 1999-2014 - actually, similar things were said. Look what they (and Nike) gave us.

I don't want the Colts to be touched because any changes will likely be worse than their currents.

NSFCvyu.png

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I'd say the Patriots are the best team to have a horrible uniform in NFL history. Other great teams through the years (multiple Super Bowls)... Steelers, Raiders, 49ers, Cowboys, all have solid looks. Broncos were ok but the Patriots are simply bad. 

wait til the Rams win this year!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

23 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

wait til the Rams win this year!

We can only hope they apply for (and are granted) the right to wear their best uniforms in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

usatsi-11858856-1220-gurley-1.jpg

It’s only right - they’ve worn that uniform in a Super Bowl already.   😛 

heavencanwait1.jpg

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

We can only hope they apply for (and are granted) the right to wear their best uniforms in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

usatsi-11858856-1220-gurley-1.jpg

It’s only right - they’ve worn that uniform in a Super Bowl already.   😛 

heavencanwait1.jpg

The problem is I believe the NFC is the away team this year (the Eagles wore green jerseys last year). That creates a dilemma if NFL actually cares about the look of the game. Rams wearing their mismatched white jerseys will be horrible. 

Edit: Just checked, Patriots were the home team last year and chose white jerseys so as long as the NFL allows the Rams to wear their royal blue, it will be fine. 

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I agree.  In my mind, the Colts are in a tough spot.  They have, without question, a classic uniform, one that many people would consider untouchable, just on history alone.  But I also think it's gotten a little stale, especially the all-white road. And I personally think the modern uniform cuts have been particularly rough on the design.  In a vacuum, eliminating any historical considerations, I wouldn't see any reason not to mess with it. But in this case history is a consideration.  Blue pants (as long as they also use those white socks) would be a subtle way to freshen things up without wholesale changes.

The Colts' all-white roads are actually one of my favorite sets in the entire league. I agree that modern uniform cuts have been rough on Indy's design, though.

40 minutes ago, Gupti said:

I believe that part of the Rams-NFL uni agreement is that the throwback technically *is* the designated home. That would explain why they got to be represented by it in the league’s Fortnite promotion.

Correct. If the Rams make it to the Super Bowl, they will wear those throwbacks. It is their home jersey. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

On 12/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, hawk36 said:

Getting rid of the silver and piping. A few other tweaks and they'd be good. 

GmIAxDv.jpg

I like the simplicity of the jersey, but I still prefer the silver helmet.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

10 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I think he’s implying that a different standard is being applied to the Patriots current uniform and the Dolphin throwback 

10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what Thrill said, though im half joking. 

i agree with your assessment of the Pats uniform— its not a great uni to begin with, and i'd love to see that design go out with Brady/Belicheck. but preserving a history in the same manner is also something i've said about the Dolphins uniforms (66 throwback) and thats never been well received :/ 

I still don't understand - what different standard?

I like the current Patriots set, but it's timing coincides 100% with the unprecedented success of the B&B dynasty and IMO should be retired with them.  I would not think the same way if they'd had essentially the same uniform forever, but since they're not tied to any one look, it doesn't matter.

I don't see how the Dolphins have anything to do with that.  Please let me know what I'm missing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what Thrill said, though im half joking. 

i agree with your assessment of the Pats uniform— its not a great uni to begin with, and i'd love to see that design go out with Brady/Belicheck. but preserving a history in the same manner is also something i've said about the Dolphins uniforms (66 throwback) and thats never been well received :/ 

It's purely an aesthetic thing really.

Patriots fans will always look back fondly on these uniforms but in 50 years, when only older fans will have hazy memories of the Brady/Belichick era, they'll probably wear them as throwbacks and they'll be appreciated as a historic uniform that was a product of it's time. Nobody will be calling for them to come back as a primary because they look like garbage, much like the Steelers bumblebee throwbacks.

The Dolphins throwbacks are so popular because they look amazing. They're also heavy on character, which contrasts against the current identity which is regularly accused of lacking character. The "toothpaste" dolphin etc. I don't fault the designers at all for this though, because as you've said the brief was "not silly", which is difficult when you consider you're designing a brightly coloured costume with animal logos for grown adults to play a game. I think the sleek modern identity we ended up with is a really good result, but it'll never resonate like the 66 throwbacks (unless we start winning a lot).

If the team wants to have multiple uniform/logo options for on field looks and for merchandising they could easily 

1. Use 72 throwbacks as primary 

2. Use current jersey/pant all whites for color rush and for a helmet logo use the M on the helmet that the dolphin is wearing. 

Satisfies everyone.  Merch sales abound.  

A dolphin blogger did this mock-up a few years ago.  It gives you an idea.  I think I’d change the face mask to white. Also originally I suggested the all white uniform to go with it but on second thought maybe all aqua would be more in the spirit of color rush.  I don’t like aqua pants for a regular dolphin uniform but if we are putting together a secondary color rush set with a different helmet for marketing purposes I wouldn’t mind making it all aqua.  Plus it would make the players more the the dolphin which wears the M helmet. 

Dolphins_Concept-1.png

https://phinphanatic.com/

i saw some conversation here or somewhere else about the difficulty of changing branding again with the new stadium having the new logo all over.  I wonder if the team could use both.  Classic helmet wearing dolphin would be the on field mark; new swimming dolphin would be more of a corporate Mark.  

On 12/20/2018 at 4:31 PM, hawk36 said:

Getting rid of the silver and piping. A few other tweaks and they'd be good. 

GmIAxDv.jpg

This is very solid. Well done. I do like Elvis better on the white helmet

I feel something is coming when both Brady and Belichick leave (and I'm not sure both are going at the same time) but whether it's tweaks or an overhaul I have no idea. But I'd bet on something being done

23 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

My fear is that if the Colts get touched they will do a Cardinals type hatchet job on them. Thing is the Colts were tinkered with a bit in the 80's and that sort of flew under the radar because there was no social media back then, and they were kind of an anonymous franchise. But we did get grey pants with a horseshoe on the hip with the players number in it

mike_kozlowski_1985_09_15.jpg

35 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

A dolphin blogger did this mock-up a few years ago.  It gives you an idea.  I think I’d change the face mask to white. Also originally I suggested the all white uniform to go with it but on second thought maybe all aqua would be more in the spirit of color rush.  I don’t like aqua pants for a regular dolphin uniform but if we are putting together a secondary color rush set with a different helmet for marketing purposes I wouldn’t mind making it all aqua.  Plus it would make the players more the the dolphin which wears the M helmet. 

Dolphins_Concept-1.png

https://phinphanatic.com/

i saw some conversation here or somewhere else about the difficulty of changing branding again with the new stadium having the new logo all over.  I wonder if the team could use both.  Classic helmet wearing dolphin would be the on field mark; new swimming dolphin would be more of a corporate Mark.  

I’m all for clever design, but this idea feels like overthinking the premise a bit. Dolphins are a cool and unique mascot, so replacing it with a generic ‘M’ for the purpose of matching the logo is the design equivalent of cutting of your nose to spite your face. 

7 minutes ago, GFB said:

I’m all for clever design, but this idea feels like overthinking the premise a bit. Dolphins are a cool and unique mascot, so replacing it with a generic ‘M’ for the purpose of matching the logo is the design equivalent of cutting of your nose to spite your face. 

I happen to agree with you.  I’m pro-throwback for the Dolphins.  But there seems to be a desire from the front office to have additional uniform options.  Nobody outside of the team headquarters seems keen on the swimming dolphin so I thought maybe this would be something to consider.  

But yea.  If it were up to me.  One helmet. Old logo, two jerseys. White pants for each.  End of story. 

Archived