NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

4 hours ago, kimball said:

The 2019-20 season will also be celebrating some of the following ...

10th anniversary of the Dallas Mavericks winning their first championship.

20th anniversary of the the Grizzlies final season in Vancouver.

20th anniversary of the Philadelphia 76ers making the NBA Finals with AI.

30th anniversary of the Chicago Bulls first championship. 

40th anniversary of the founding of the Dallas Mavericks.

50th anniversary of the founding of the Cavaliers, Clippers (Braves), Trail Blazers.

50th anniversary of the Milwaukee Bucks' first championship.

60th anniversary of the Minneapolis Lakers relocation to Los Angeles.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of throwback jerseys celebrating these anniversaries --

I guess I should also note that it will be the Raptors and Grizzlies 25th anniversary. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Raptors throwback again.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I’m thinking Lakers, Mavs, Blazers, Clippers as the 4 throwbacks. Maybe Cavs instead of Clippers.

I really don’t see the Grizzlies wearing Vancouver unis lol. 

A new Lakers HWC jersey that can bring in LeBron money is pretty much a given.

Agreed. I can't see the Grizzlies wearing a Vancouver throwback. I could see them wearing the jersey they wore during the last season in Vancouver since it's pretty much what they wore in Memphis during their first couple of season. Granted, the Memphis Grizz never wore 'GRIZZLIES' on that jersey, but it could work.

Vancouver Grizzlies, Home Jersey, 2000-01

apfupcnmia0q7oaggfkuqf27z.gif

Memphis Grizzlies, Home Jersey, 2001-02

xhgeq4jbn1mdzre9g82o45eeg.gif

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

6 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

That’s better news than I expected, although still not great. I like the black uniforms as an alternate look, but not as primaries. In my opinion, the Magic should always be blue first.

I'm one of those who believes their very first set is still their best one. Initially, black was their road look. Maybe they just want to go back to that? 

5 hours ago, kimball said:

I guess I should also note that it will be the Raptors and Grizzlies 25th anniversary. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Raptors throwback again.

*25th season.

25th Anniversary season would be 2020-21.

Every team seems to do seasons/anniversaries differently, which doesn't help.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I’m a little surprised the Cavs went with two “wave” motif jerseys that are a callback to their mid-90s uniforms this year. Not only is next year their 50th season, it’s also the 25th anniversary of their move back into downtown Cleveland when the then-Gund Arena opened. Next year will also mark the completion of the arena’s big renovation that is currently in progress.

All of that would point to next year being a perfect time for a throwback to the 1994-95 jerseys and a City uniform that pays tribute to the team moving back from Richfield.

8 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I'm one of those who believes their very first set is still their best one. Initially, black was their road look. Maybe they just want to go back to that? 

I hope they go back to the originals if they have to make a change at all (as long as they change the number font to something reasonable), but really I like their current uniforms better. I also think the blue “classic edition” from this year (alternates from 89-93, primary roads from 94-98) are better than the original black roads. They both look great, though.

6 hours ago, Teal said:

I have only seen the Rockets new set and I have to say it is very disappointing.

I was hoping of a return of red and yellow but it is a basic and uninspired set.

Is it basically the current black alternates spread to the white and red uniforms too, with a red and black (or even double red) color scheme? That’s what I had expected if they did make a change. I’m starting to feel like the Rockets’ red/yellow is becoming the Padres’ brown/yellow - everyone seems to want it except the team itself.

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I also think the blue “classic edition” from this year (alternates from 89-93, primary roads from 94-98) are better than the original black roads. They both look great, though.

The blue jerseys didn't exist until '94-95. Orlando only had white and black jerseys from 89-94.

I wish Orlando would put the huge stars back on the sides of the shorts, plus bring back wordmarks close to the originals.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

WHAT? We are a blue/black/white/silver team, not black/silver/blue/white, which is what Nike is apparently trying to turn us into (the most recent “City” uniform is only black and silver, with small blue accents - and now this news). Does this mean a full redesign? I really hope not, unless it’s basically the original uniforms with a better number font.

I was told by a Magic official before LAST season began that after THIS season, the Magic would be introducing a new logo set & jerseys. He also showed me the City Edition Jersey so I trust him. That being said - I haven't heard of any updates since then.

As a Magic fan/Orlando native, I prefer White at Home, Black on the Road and a Blue alternate. Anything HWC Magic has been such a hot property that they CANT go back to that full-time as it would diminish the novelty and hot market sales.

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I hope they go back to the originals if they have to make a change at all (as long as they change the number font to something reasonable), but really I like their current uniforms better. I also think the blue “classic edition” from this year (alternates from 89-93, primary roads from 94-98) are better than the original black roads. They both look great, though.

Is it basically the current black alternates spread to the white and red uniforms too, with a red and black (or even double red) color scheme? That’s what I had expected if they did make a change. I’m starting to feel like the Rockets’ red/yellow is becoming the Padres’ brown/yellow - everyone seems to want it except the team itself.

I actually liked those number fonts. The only change I would make fix the 6 and 9. The disconnected circle drives me crazy.

kimball banner.png

2 hours ago, kimball said:

I actually liked those number fonts. The only change I would make fix the 6 and 9. The disconnected circle drives me crazy.

That’s what I’m referring to - just make the 6 and 9 better and the original set is perfect.

ExJworW.png

23 hours ago, kimball said:

Agreed. I can't see the Grizzlies wearing a Vancouver throwback. I could see them wearing the jersey they wore during the last season in Vancouver since it's pretty much what they wore in Memphis during their first couple of season. Granted, the Memphis Grizz never wore 'GRIZZLIES' on that jersey, but it could work.

Vancouver Grizzlies, Home Jersey, 2000-01

apfupcnmia0q7oaggfkuqf27z.gif

Memphis Grizzlies, Home Jersey, 2001-02

xhgeq4jbn1mdzre9g82o45eeg.gif

As a kinda-sorta Grizzlies fan (when I actually do watch NBA games, which is almost never these days), it breaks my heart that they had what was essentially a completely original color scheme - I can't remember any other teal-black-red teams in any sport - and what they've worn for the last 15 years, and especially the past couple since their last update, is about the most generic, boring design and color scheme that you're going to find in any sport. 

In the case of the above uniform, I was never a big fan of the '90s trend of asymmetry; lack of symmetry in general annoys me, and seeing the jersey have balanced teal stripes on the side but only one side of the shorts having it wasn't something I cared too much for. The Sonics had the same template design with the set they went to the Finals with in '96, if I'm not mistaken. Same criticisms. I'm not here to suggest I would want the above to have been worn for the last 15 years either, rather just to lament that the Grizzlies didn't try to do more with the color identity they had then.

I mean, if they wanted to give themselves a "fresh start" after their Vancouver debacle, ok, I understand. Which makes more sense to change, the name, representative of an animal that isn't found anywhere near Memphis, or a color scheme that had colors that could be found in every pocket of North American pro sports? As a team with their origins in the '90s, teal would've been the perfect color to base your identity around because the '90s was when teal became popular as well. 

Butchered, this.

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

In the case of the above uniform, I was never a big fan of the '90s trend of asymmetry; lack of symmetry in general annoys me, and seeing the jersey have balanced teal stripes on the side but only one side of the shorts having it wasn't something I cared too much for. The Sonics had the same template design with the set they went to the Finals with in '96, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, that was pretty trendy back then. By my count 13 of league's 29 teams had some sort of asymmetrical design element in the '96-'97 season. As outlandish as some of those sets were, it's one of those special things that make those uniforms endearing to me.shawn_kemp.jpg

18 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

As a kinda-sorta Grizzlies fan (when I actually do watch NBA games, which is almost never these days), it breaks my heart that they had what was essentially a completely original color scheme - I can't remember any other teal-black-red teams in any sport - and what they've worn for the last 15 years, and especially the past couple since their last update, is about the most generic, boring design and color scheme that you're going to find in any sport. 

First of all, this color scheme of two blues and a yellow is unique, much more so than the red-blue teams, and red-black teams. Boring, ehh sorta, but worst in any sport, no way.

Excellent!

19 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

As a kinda-sorta Grizzlies fan (when I actually do watch NBA games, which is almost never these days), it breaks my heart that they had what was essentially a completely original color scheme...

Ditching unique color schemes (Nuggets) or sticking with unoriginal color schemes (Heat!) seems to be a trend lately, unfortunately.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Why doesn't the NBA just take every single team's uniforms history, make a jersey for each season every team has existed, sell a replica, Swingman, and Authentic version of it. After that, pick up a dictionary(yeah,I'm old), close the book, open it and point to ten words on the page and create a new uniform for each team and called it the word that you point to.🤒 Done.

Archived