NBA | New York Knicks Primary Logo Refresh – UPDATE

Go Red Sox!

17 hours ago, Tore said:

Really cool! :D How would it look if you exchanged the grey with whites?

Thanks, Tore. It actually looks cheap and cheesy, since there would be way too much contrast – yeah, even that's possible! Just doesn't look good with this shade of blue, plus the bright orange.

17 hours ago, LogoMark said:

Love this!

Thanks a lot, LogoMark.

16 hours ago, bucknut42 said:

Big fan of this because it still has the overall feel of the Knicks current logo, while utilizing more blue (THANK YOU) and also removing the bad parts of the current mark. Nice work

Thanks, bucknut42. I didn't want to redesign a completely new Knicks primary logo, although this of course is not the most creative identity in the history of sports. Yet, it's a very distinctive design. I've never liked the three different stroke widths that they've used for this logo (text, ball, triangle). I think it's about time to at least slightly modernize their current identity.

16 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

Perfect color balance, and the lettering is a bit easier to look at. Well done. We’re you planning to make unis with this?

Thanks, BigRed618. Their current mark has orange all over the place. There's even more gray than royal blue – which doesn't make no sense at all!

No uniforms, since I wouldn't change a thing, except for using the custom typeface. Knicks unis should never change. I love the big numbers on the front and the subtle overall design, so I just had no idea what to add.

6 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

The grey shadow of the text looks a bit weird. Apart from that: Great work!

Thanks, Kaiser! Much appreciated.

21 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Very nice. Getting rid of the weird 3D text works wonders.

Thanks, Zeus! True. It's just too much what they have right now. A wordmark which is arched, also 3-D, plus some skewed perspective is a visual overkill.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Though this is a nice update, there seems to be too much blue (and that's said with blue being my favorite color). Maybe try it w/o the triangle, i.e.:

ny-knicks-logo-e1455386377617.gif

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

On 12/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, Go Red Sox! said:

New-York-Knicks-primary-logo-detail.png

I think there's an issue with the shades of orange and gray you;re using. They don't have enough contrast and hurt to look at next to each other. You'll notice the current logo neve has orange and gray immediately juxtaposed. Perhaps eliminating gray and using white instead? may be tweak the colors? Anywho, great work here.

tinysig.jpg

37 minutes ago, Jake3.roo said:

I think there's an issue with the shades of orange and gray you;re using. They don't have enough contrast and hurt to look at next to each other. You'll notice the current logo neve has orange and gray immediately juxtaposed. Perhaps eliminating gray and using white instead? may be tweak the colors? Anywho, great work here.

That's what I'm seeing too.  Those two colors just look a little soft next to each other, but they both pop nicely against the blue.  I'm wondering if a stronger orange isn't the way to go.  A shade similar to your personal logo in the corner may be just right.  And/or lightening the gray even more.  

A second thought would be to replace the gray altogether with a dark navy...?  Would that be too much of a departure?

On 12/18/2018 at 5:46 AM, Jake3.roo said:

Thanks, Jake! It's looking pretty good on my devices (calibrated computer screen, iPad, iPhone), but in order to get even more contrast, I've decided to let orange pop a notch more by darkening it. It's some pretty ordinary shade of orange in the current logo. I now use a different PANTONE color that's more comparable with red-orange or burnt orange – and I like it even more.

White, as I mentioned in one of the older comments, doesn't look good at all. It makes the whole thing look cheesy and poor, since there is actually too much contrast! White doesn't harmonize well enough for me with this particular color scheme and logo elements.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:30 AM, Duck_Duck said:

That's what I'm seeing too.  Those two colors just look a little soft next to each other, but they both pop nicely against the blue.  I'm wondering if a stronger orange isn't the way to go.  A shade similar to your personal logo in the corner may be just right.  And/or lightening the gray even more.  

A second thought would be to replace the gray altogether with a dark navy...?  Would that be too much of a departure?

Navy would be a terrible choice in my view because these gray elements need to be lighter than the rest of the logo. It would definitely kill the entire color contrast of that logo.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Archived