Seattle Sockeye (Secondary Logo and Jerseys Added 6/8)

ldconcepts

With Seattle finally getting an NHL team and speculation swirling, I decided to throw my hat into the concept ring.

I decided on Kraken, simply because I thought it would be the most fun to work with. I based most of the design around the Seattle flag, and adjusted the central design to make it symmetrical enough for a sports logo. I overlaid a simplified Space Needle to hit home the Seattle connection.

I decided on a colour scheme quickly enough, after stumbling upon @Grant94's blog post. I feel like teal and black suit this identity, and the red separates them from the Sharks.

Where I'm conflicted right now is on the final primary logo design. To represent a Kraken and to inject red into the logo, I created a suction-cup tentacle pattern and overlaid it on the tentacle-like flag design, and I added a red Kraken eye to the top of the Space Needle. To figure this out, I put four options on four different backgrounds. Should I keep the pattern? The eye? Both? Neither?

seattle+logo+options.png

C&C is greatly appreciated. Secondary logos and jerseys will come later!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the city flag reference! The tentacle suction cups are too detailed; if you really want to do that simple black circles would suffice.

The top of the Space Needle rendering is good but the tower section really doesn't match.

I'm taking another shot at the Needle-flag combo before I switch gears.

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

Like the city flag reference! The tentacle suction cups are too detailed; if you really want to do that simple black circles would suffice.

The top of the Space Needle rendering is good but the tower section really doesn't match.

I got rid of the red suction cup outlines, but there's still the option of leaving them out entirely. I also changed the body of the tower to match the top.

To make it more primary material, I filled the inside of the logo red, and added inside white outlines.

I tinkered with the idea of using the negative space as a massive red eye.

So, to summarize:

Suction cups or no suction cups?

Big eye or small eye (at the tip of the tower)?

Should I get rid of the Space Needle entirely?

seattle+logo+options2.png

I'd love more feedback on these!

Nyzv9xS.png

I think larger suction cups arranged only on the midline or the edges of the tentacles would work best:

ft39XL1.jpg

I prefer red as solely an accent color, so just having it as the light of the Space Needle (like real life) is my pick.

The inner white outline is unnecessary, IMO.

The new tower section of the Space Needle is great! Big improvement

I updated and simplified the pattern, and if that doesn't work, I included another option to sublimate it à la Team Sweden. 

A: Suction cup pattern, big eye

B: Sublimated suction cup pattern, big eye

C: No pattern, big eye

D: Suction cup pattern, small eye

E: Sublimated suction cup pattern, small eye

F: No pattern, small eye

seattle+logo+options3.png

What do you think? C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

• ldconcepts changed the title to Seattle Kraken (Update 2)

Based on Option B, I created two secondary logos.

I adjusted the Metropolitans' S, and replaced the font with a modified version of the font I'm using for presentation. After trying red, white, and black, I decided teal would fit the best over the flag/tentacle/eye elements.

I repeated the same process with a trident, and kept the base of the Space Needle as its body.

seattle+logo+options4.png

Which one do you prefer? Any small nitpicks? C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

• ldconcepts changed the title to Seattle Kraken (Secondary Logos Added 12/18)
35 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Anything on the logos before I move on to the uniforms?

The big eye, doesnt work, it looks nothing like a kraken eye imo, i see what your trying though. Overall it lacks character and uniqueness. Something that signifies s primary logo all it is right now is the tower and some patters around the edges. I like @vtgco idea for an updated tentacle. 

If anything promote the Triton logo to primary, its something mor characteristic to the team and not just the tower, which is seen alot already in seattle and doesn’t represent what team it is. I would say the same for the S logo but the tentacles wrapping around it make is kinda awkward 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I like the sublimated suction cups, it works well. I still think the white outline around the Space Needle looks really unnecessary on the primary, but otherwise, a solid look.

As for the secondary logos, they feel really redundant because they all use that same wreath shape.

Perhaps just have the updated Metros S on its own for one logo, and a full-body squid (maybe holding the trident) for the other?

Guest darkpiranha

Great so far.  Any way you can make the central tine of the trident suggest the shape of the Space needle?  It already has the main tower shape matching (mostly) and it might be neat to see if a stylized, sharper version of the Needle could be attempted.

I created a bunch of new secondary logo options. First of all, I created some options with the trident matching the primary logo's shadowing. Some other ideas...

On 12/19/2018 at 5:05 PM, vtgco said:

As for the secondary logos, they feel really redundant because they all use that same wreath shape.

I made a couple options with the trident alone, and separated the S.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:05 PM, vtgco said:

Perhaps just have the updated Metros S on its own for one logo, and a full-body squid (maybe holding the trident) for the other?

I tried your second suggestion with a lone tentacle enclosed in a circle.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:39 PM, darkpiranha said:

Great so far.  Any way you can make the central tine of the trident suggest the shape of the Space needle?  It already has the main tower shape matching (mostly) and it might be neat to see if a stylized, sharper version of the Needle could be attempted.

I'm not sure how well that works, but I tried it out.

seattle+logo+options5.png

Nyzv9xS.png

Here are some uniform options:

seattle+logo+options6.png

seattle+logo+options7.png

I chose the S and the needle/trident and placed them on the shoulders, and stuck with a striping pattern which compliments the logo. I created different versions where I added the tentacle effect to the striping, and where I curved it a bit to make it more unique in today's NHL. On the away jersey, I filled in the hems and cuffs, and used a red shoulder yoke.

Nyzv9xS.png

Archived