Creating my perfect Husker Football look

pianoknight

A lot of the concepts on here are massive in scope.  The entire MLB.  Every NFC team with fauxbacks.  They're also expertly done in beautiful vector images with photo-realistic details.

Whatever.  I'm old school, so this is my team and it's in MS Paint.  Paint concepts can kick ass if you have good execution.  At this point, I'm not really inspired to make this a big, ongoing, every-team-in-the-Western-Hemisphere kind of thing, but who knows.  Comments are welcome.

Onto the graphics.

l9TBCIG.png

We'll start with the helmets.  While I like the tradition of Nebraska's Skinny-N helmets, it does bother me that there is a lack of unity across the brand.  So we're dropping the Iron N onto the lids to match the primary logo.  One other small tweak is moving the rear helmet numbers inside the stripe.  Currently, they are split on either side of the stripe.  Also, if you look closely, you'll see a small skull-and-bones Blackshirt logo to the right of the rear stripe.  I'm not a big fan of making my helmets look like a marijuana ad (looking at you, Buckeyes), but having a sticker for Blackshirt defenders who have earned that distinction is something I'd like to see.

Onto the jerseys.  The most noticeable change may be the number font, moving from a block collegiate style to a more rounded, century gothic style.  It's not quite as narrow and angular as our 2018 throwbacks, but this number font matches more closely with the helmet numbers.  It's always bugged me that Nebraska wears block style numbers on the shirts and rounded gothic style numbers on the helmets.  Unity.  

You may also notice that the sleeve stripes and pant stripes have been reduced to a single, thicker stripe.  This provides consistency across the board with the helmet, jersey and pants each having a single stripe. In 2018, Nebraska did away entirely with the pant stripes, and we flip flopped back and forth between stripes and no stripes during the 1990s.  If you can win multiple titles and have a 60-3 run over five years while Scott Frost and Tommie Frazier wore inconsistent pants, than I've got the runway to flatten everything down to a single stripe across the set.

Small details:  added the Iron N logo into the pant stripe, which is moved from the traditional placement on the left hip.  The "Winning Tradition" and B1G patches remain unchanged, and an extra patch has been added above the NOB.  With Nebraska being the Cornhusker State and there being no other Division 1 football or pro football teams in the state, Cornhusker Football is quite literally a representation of the State of Nebraska.  Home pride, baby.

Finally, the Blackshirt Edition Alt.  If you hate black alts, whatever.  Husker fans are SPLIT over the use of black -- like seriously, we're talking Great Schism or Protestant Reformation split -- but my logic says that if your first string defense is nicknamed the Blackshirts, having a, well, black shirt is probably not quite a BFBS situation.  If any school wanted to add an extra color for an alt, we've got a built-in excuse that aligns with tradition.  For all you ninnies who say that Blackshirts only apply to defense, and thus, a whole-team concept that includes offense and special teams... well just get out and start your own concept.  It's essentially the same template, with the only real difference being a skull 'n bones logo replacing the pant stripe N.  

Anyway, those are my tweaks.  Minor they may be, but that's probably because Nebraska is already a 9/10 in terms of uniform perfection.  No day-glo, no neon, no anthracite needed.  Just a few clean ups and you have a pristine collegiate football uniform that's perfect for stomping on rodent-and-bird mascotted teams in the Big Ten West.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Caveat: I know nothing about CFB... But I like the updated helmet and number font. Sounds like a black alt is fine since you have an explanation. That said, I think the sleeve and pant stripes are way too plain, even compared to the previous unis, which were pretty sparse to begin with. 

I think the back numbers are a tad too small.

12 hours ago, vtgco said:

Caveat: I know nothing about CFB... But I like the updated helmet and number font. Sounds like a black alt is fine since you have an explanation. That said, I think the sleeve and pant stripes are way too plain, even compared to the previous unis, which were pretty sparse to begin with. 

I think the back numbers are a tad too small.

The numbers being small is probably just a template thing.  I could enlarge them a bit. 

As for the simplicity of the design, I agree that it's very sparse.  But I think that works okay for Nebraska.  I'm not sure how much you know about college football design, but you have some teams like Alabama, Penn State, Nebraska or Texas that have worn essentially the same uniform for 50 years or more.  In Nebraska's case, the BIGGEST changes we've ever made is that our helmets used to have an NU logo instead of just the N, and our stripes used to be on the shoulders (now sleeve cuffs).  On the flip side of the spectrum you have teams whose entire brand identity is a constant evolution, like Oregon or Maryland.  They unveil brand new templates almost monthly.  

Thanks for the feedback!  Always appreciate comments.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

These are pretty. I mean that in the best way possible. It is distinctive of the 3 white and red B1G teams. I am a PSU student (&fan) so I am all about the simple and classic looks. I think what you did here is fantastic, i love the singular thick stripe, and the mods to the helmets. Their own font would be awesome, and I like the one you picked for them. The ONLY chnage i would make is to add some white to the black helmet, whether it the outline of the N, the numbers, or an edit on the stripe, I think it needs a touch, since the numbers are white. Outside of that these are great and I would love to see these on the actual field.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Archived