One tradition you NEVER want to change

It could be either logos, uniforms, or concepts.

Its still hard to believe that NBA uniforms have a advertising patch, I would have never thought it would happen say 5 years ago. No matter what you purist want, times are changing. 

For me, the most sacred tradition is NOT having any advertisement on International Soccer Kits. I cant imagine Brazil or Germany winning a World Cup with "Petrobras" or "Mercedes-Benz" on the front of the jersey. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I CANNOT IMAGINE 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, andregunts said:

It could be either logos, uniforms, or concepts.

Its still hard to believe that NBA uniforms have a advertising patch, I would have never thought it would happen say 5 years ago. No matter what you purist want, times are changing. 

For me, the most sacred tradition is NOT having any advertisement on International Soccer Kits. I cant imagine Brazil or Germany winning a World Cup with "Petrobras" or "Mercedes-Benz" on the front of the jersey. 

International teams in rugby and cricket have advertising on their uniforms.  I have to believe that this plague will eventually come to international football.

I find it difficult to answer the question, because just about every tradition that I would never have wanted to see changed has already been changed.

• no ads on uniforms in the major American sports
  • no colour-vs.-colour games
  • no solid-colour American football uniforms apart from white
  • preservation of socks in baseball

I would have put any one of these things in the category "they'd better not do that"; but they've gone and done every one (though there is a bit of a resurgence in wearing socks in baseball).  Indeed, they're now coming up with bad things that I would never have thought possible: the return of powder blue.

After further pondering, I have come up with one final thing that counts as a most cherished tradition.  I am almost afraid to say it, for fear of jinxing it!  But here goes: there should never be player names on the Yankees' uniforms.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Those are one offs. They don’t count.

one offs lead to long term changes, trust me they are just softening you up.

I remember FC Barcelona NEVER had a shirt sponser forever, then one season they said they will put a charity on the shirt for UNICEF, then the season after that they put a Qatar Foundation sponsor instead, then they next year they put a Qatar Ariways.

They know what the hell they are doing. 

2 minutes ago, andregunts said:

Well the whole point of those jerseys was Players weekend, and to use nicknames and have fun.  If they didnt put names on the jerseys for that weekend, it would defeat the purpose.

The CCSLC hating anything modern... And anything classic... And modern classics... Well, everything apparently.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Well the whole point of those jerseys was Players weekend, and to use nicknames and have fun.  If they didnt put names on the jerseys for that weekend, it would defeat the purpose.

The Yankees used to be above these gimmicks, including claiming that they wear their TATC uniforms every day, so they didn't need to make up something silly.  

Then it started to slip with a BP cap being worn in game.  Then other special caps.  Then the players jerseys.  

This, from a team that still doesn't even have a manufacturer logo on their jersey - add that to the list of "traditions" that will be going away in two seasons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My Top 3:

3.  Alabama's football uniforms.  Simple perfection. 

2.  The Steelers only having their US Steel/AISI logo on one side of their helmet.  A classic tradition that goes back to the "Chief" Art Rooney.

1.  ALL Pittsburgh major professional sports teams having the same color scheme.  It's a Black and Gold city, and that tradition is ingrained in the culture of Western Pa.

Penn state football plain uniforms. The one off Indiana game was nice, and the number font fit perfectly, but we need to keep the current looks. The helmet is way too perfect and the uniforms are just gorgeous. And the no names needs to stay. 

We sell shirts with this phrase:

black shoes,

basic blues,

no names,

all game. 

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Yankees used to be above these gimmicks, including claiming that they wear their TATC uniforms every day, so they didn't need to make up something silly.  

Then it started to slip with a BP cap being worn in game.  Then other special caps.  Then the players jerseys.  

This, from a team that still doesn't even have a manufacturer logo on their jersey - add that to the list of "traditions" that will be going away in two seasons.

The manufacturer logo I can deal with as long as it is tastefully done. It needs to be where the current Majestic logo is on current uniforms. That I would have no problem with. As far as the one off jerseys go, they can be thrown in the dumpster. A simple patch on the hat or maybe even the sleeve would suffice to bring attention to a cause. The minute they messed with the pinstripes by turning them different colors was when I lost some respect for them. I wish a purist in the organization would stand up and tell the MLB no dice on these horrible things. The only change that needs to be made to the Yankees uniforms in my opinion is the road jerseys should revert to what they were in the 40's. The navy text on the gray jerseys was simple, yet distinctive. Maybe add a white outline for visibility purposes, but no sleeve stripes. The Yankees hat should always be the same. It works for a reason and is known around the world, even in places that have no idea what a game of baseball looks like. As far as a name on the back, I hope it never comes to pass. If they wanna do those gimmick jerseys, do them in spring training or exhibition games that don't mean anything. The New York Yankees are the definition of a classic uniform that defied the odds and has been pretty much unchanged for the better part of a century. It is the standard that all other uniforms in any sport are held to; the alpha and omega. They should remain as such.

9 hours ago, andregunts said:

I don’t think anyone who played/plays/will play for the Yankees wants his name on the pinstripes. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived