infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 15

infrared41

We didn't have as much to work with in week 15 as we had in the previous two weeks, but we still got one stone cold classic and a couple pretty solid match ups for the best list. The worst list isn't as bad as its been the past few weeks, but we weren't exactly lacking in not so great match ups either. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may be different than mine and that's OK. All I ask is that we keep the conversation limited to the uniforms. Let's spin the big wheel and play our game.

BEST:

1. Packers - Bears: A serious contender for game of the year. Two of the very best uniforms in the NFL. They don't get any better than this. Kudos to the Bears for not messing this up by wearing throwbacks or the orange alt. Every game should look this good.

yjtxlAY.jpg

FxwaPS1.jpgja23TLM.jpg

2. Cowboys - Colts: Good looking match up between two classic uniforms.

vU7vTnm.jpgvptGTXB.jpg

3. Texans - Jets: One of the last times we'll see this classic Jets home uniform. I think this one would have looked even better if Houston had gone all white (less blue and green fighting for attention) but it was still a good looking game.

lLEvoha.jpg

4. Super Bowl Champion Eagles - Rams: I like that the Eagles went all white for this game. I wish I liked the Rams throwbacks more than I do, but it is what it is. It's a fine uniform and it should definitely be their full time look, but it's not one of my favorites. Sue me. B)

Gof8xoV.jpg

WORST:

1. Buccaneers - Ravens: The Bucs make it a 3-peat at the top of the worst list. Will the Ravens ever figure out that the black pants never look good? If you insist on keeping them, at least put some stripes on them or something.

2yTmNqZ.jpg

2. Saints - Panthers: Anyone else notice that the Panthers haven't won a game since they started wearing the black monochrome? This game could have, should have looked really good. 

HdjoJ3r.jpg

3. Cardinals - Falcons: Two perfect examples of the "modern" uniform trend that was all the rage back when it was happening and looks hopelessly dated today. Bad stripes, side panels, unnecessary piping, etc. It was ugly back then. It's really ugly now. 

oGwn1kR.jpg

4. Browns - Broncos: The Broncos are ground zero for the "modern" movement. Those things were awful way back when they debuted in 1996 and they've been awful ever since. I think the Browns should add another wordmark or two. B)

fVLcyhW.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it again next week. Have a safe and happy holiday. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really liked the Saints and Panthers matchup. neither are great uniforms, but i think they were each wearing their best combinations and contrasted well against one another. the gold vs silver helmet is a nice combination. the Panthers in all black just feels right, especially at night. i think they should go all black for 6 home games - really seperates them from the Lions. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

16 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i really liked the Saints and Panthers matchup. neither are great uniforms, but i think they were each wearing their best combinations and contrasted well against one another. the gold vs silver helmet is a nice combination. the Panthers in all black just feels right, especially at night. i think they should go all black for 6 home games - really seperates them from the Lions. 

1. Which is precisely why the game is on the worst list. 

2. I strongly disagree. 

Anyway, I have to say I got a real kick out of reading a post that essentially admits that both teams are wearing bad uniforms, but claims it's still a great match up because the colors are neat. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I’ll throw out a potentially very unpopular hot take: Denver-Cleveland makes my best list. 

Okay, maybe not the “best” list, but more like the “mediocre” list and definitely not the “worst” list. Orange pants on the road look great for Cleveland and are enough to minimize some of the issues with their uniforms. While completely biased, I’ve always thought Denver has been able to pull off side panels and the fact that they wore the blue alts to avoid overloading the game with orange really helped. Obviously this is all just my opinion though, so I could just be crazy...

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Anyway, I have to say I got a real kick out of reading a post that essentially admits that both teams are wearing bad uniforms, but claims it's still a great match up because the colors are neat. B)

i'd say they're average uniforms, but yea the matchup whole is greater than the individual pieces. they're not an extreme mis-match (TB vs OAK for example) but there is a nice, clear contrast that makes the game easy to follow and still easy on the eyes. especially because they're wearing primarily neutral colors, its the blue and silver that stands out for the Panthers and the gold that catches your eye for the Saints.  

the Colts vs Cowboys matchup is almost the opposite. both uniforms are great, but the contrast isn't there. the whole environment is very monochrome

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I think Vikings-Dolphins was a great looking matchup, and I’d say it’s even possibly my matchup of the year. I love the way two of my favorite color schemes in the NFL play off each other, and even though the each uniform has some minor flaws (for the Vikings: the pants stripe, and for the Dolphins: the wordmarks and the non-round edges of the number font), those issues are so minor that it results in what I think is honestly a beautiful matchup between two modern, Nike-designed uniforms.

BcPrgSp.jpg

I'm also not a huge fan of the Rams' throwbacks.  They just look "old" to me, and not in a good way.  I think it's the heat-press numbers in that '70s-style font.  I do love the colors though.

I didn't think that game was particularly attractive.  Something about the SBCPE's midnight-green just clashed badly with the Ram's royal.  Also, while it's sometimes neat to see a contemporary team clashing with a traditional one, the Rams throwbacks are from that '70s era that doesn't really meet either category, so it didn't work for me.

Would have been worse had the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles worn their "slow" green pants.

EDIT: unless either team does something stupid, I'd expect this week's Texans at SBCPE game to me on the list (though I have no idea what the competition is.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, jn8 said:

I’ll throw out a potentially very unpopular hot take: Denver-Cleveland makes my best list. 

Okay, maybe not the “best” list, but more like the “mediocre” list and definitely not the “worst” list. Orange pants on the road look great for Cleveland and are enough to minimize some of the issues with their uniforms. While completely biased, I’ve always thought Denver has been able to pull off side panels and the fact that they wore the blue alts to avoid overloading the game with orange really helped. Obviously this is all just my opinion though, so I could just be crazy...

Both uniforms are really close to being pretty good. If the Browns get rid of the wordmark on the pants and fixed the sleeve stripes, the white over orange would be a very nice look. If Denver dumped the dumb 90's pants and jersey stripes and lost the side panels, they'd have a really solid look too.

I like the colors schemes with both teams, but as I've tried (and failed miserably) to explain, my best lists are based on good looking uniform vs. good looking uniform. Ugly uniform vs. ugly uniform is an ugly game no matter how well the colors work with each other - in my opinion. Colors may be used as an occasional tiebreaker, but other than that, they rarely play a role in the list process. 

In any case, no, you're not crazy, you just hold an opinion I don't happen to share. B)

BB52Big.jpg

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

4. Browns - Broncos: The Broncos are ground zero for the "modern" movement. Those things were awful way back when they debuted in 1996 and they've been awful ever since. I think the Browns should add another wordmark or two. B)

fVLcyhW.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it again next week. Have a safe and happy holiday. Thanks for taking a look. 

Funny part, at least to me? 

You picked a picture where, to me, the Browns have fantastic jerseys. 

Barely can see the cleveland wordmark, the towel hides the browns wordmark, the towel looks like it is covering up the rest of the stripe. 

Wonderful, in this one isolated shot. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Funny part, at least to me? 

You picked a picture where, to me, the Browns have fantastic jerseys. 

Barely can see the cleveland wordmark, the towel hides the browns wordmark, the towel looks like it is covering up the rest of the stripe. 

Wonderful, in this one isolated shot. 

Yeah, I noticed all that when I posted it, but we all know what the jerseys actually look like. Anyone around here that doesn't know what the Browns jerseys look like is probably on the wrong site. B)

BB52Big.jpg

On 12/19/2018 at 1:56 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

The Panthers should have at least worn blue socks with the black pants like used to before the last few weeks and the Saints look infinitely better in gold pants.

We seriously need underpants black pants gnomes to raid the Saints and Ravens equipment rooms.

In other news I love when the Broncos go navy over white. I was meh to it when it was their primary but after going mono as much as possible before switching to orange primaries it made me kinda miss that look. They should definitely do it twice per year now and just throw out the navy pants.

On December 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

i'd say they're average uniforms, but yea the matchup whole is greater than the individual pieces. they're not an extreme mis-match (TB vs OAK for example) but there is a nice, clear contrast that makes the game easy to follow and still easy on the eyes. especially because they're wearing primarily neutral colors, its the blue and silver that stands out for the Panthers and the gold that catches your eye for the Saints.  

the Colts vs Cowboys matchup is almost the opposite. both uniforms are great, but the contrast isn't there. the whole environment is very monochrome

I actually agree, I like both the Colts and Cowboys uniforms more than either the Panthers or Saints but that game looks washed out and sterile. I much prefer the 'look' of the NO-Car game. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

19 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Those Broncos unis are great. Love the color distribution. That matchup was pretty good. Yeah the Browns uni sucks but the color distribution was good for me. 

17 hours ago, JTernup said:

I actually agree, I like both the Colts and Cowboys uniforms more than either the Panthers or Saints but that game looks washed out and sterile. I much prefer the 'look' of the NO-Car game. 

When did this place turn into SportsColors.net? Two ugly girls in ugly dresses in matching colors is still two ugly girls in two ugly dresses. A bad uniform is a bad uniform no matter how well the colors work. I really don’t get this year’s fascination with color match ups in this thread. The whole “the uniforms are bad, but the colors looked good” kinda defeats the purpose these here boards, if you ask me. But, as I say every week, differing opinions are OK. 

BB52Big.jpg

33 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

When did this place turn into SportsColors.net? Two ugly girls in ugly dresses in matching colors is still two ugly girls in two ugly dresses. A bad uniform is a bad uniform no matter how well the colors work. I really don’t get this year’s fascination with color match ups in this thread. The whole “the uniforms are bad, but the colors looked good” kinda defeats the purpose these here boards, if you ask me. But, as I say every week, differing opinions are OK. 

I guess I personally judge uniform match ups by how well they look as a whole rather than how each individual team looks. For example, I think the Chiefs, Raiders, Packers, and Bears have the 4 best sets in the league but the way in which those games are paired matters. Historical context, color matchup, uniform aesthetics all play a role IMO. Chiefs-Raiders and Packers-Bears are far better looking games than Chiefs-Packers or Raiders-Bears. That is partially due to the historical context and partially due to the color match ups, Bears-Raiders is too drab (similar to the Colts-Cowboys game) Chiefs-Packers is too much bright color. Each uniform is great, but a Chiefs-Packers game may not be a better game than Dolphins-Ravens despite FAAAAR better individual uniforms.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

But color balance and distribution is part of the uniform visual. Yeah, the Browns unis suck a whole lot but from a distance the balance of orange helment, white jersey, orange pants, brown socks looks real good. Zoom in and then the details of that make it bad. Oh of course I would want the Browns to rid of the design but keep that combo. It's good. 

And I've always liked that Broncos look so whatever. 

Go A's!

4 hours ago, JTernup said:

I guess I personally judge uniform match ups by how well they look as a whole rather than how each individual team looks. For example, I think the Chiefs, Raiders, Packers, and Bears have the 4 best sets in the league but the way in which those games are paired matters. Historical context, color matchup, uniform aesthetics all play a role IMO. Chiefs-Raiders and Packers-Bears are far better looking games than Chiefs-Packers or Raiders-Bears. That is partially due to the historical context and partially due to the color match ups, Bears-Raiders is too drab (similar to the Colts-Cowboys game) Chiefs-Packers is too much bright color. Each uniform is great, but a Chiefs-Packers game may not be a better game than Dolphins-Ravens despite FAAAAR better individual uniforms.

Fair enough.  I’ll just say that I don’t have whatever it is that makes you able to look past awful uniforms and like a game because the colors look nice together. You’ll never convince me that Packers - Chiefs or Bears - Raiders aren’t as good looking as Dolphins - Ravens. That’s just silly...in my opinion. But to each his own, I guess. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

But color balance and distribution is part of the uniform visual. 

To a point, sure, but it’s been taken to an absurd level with uniform match ups in this thread this year. It’s not the be all end all that some are making it out to be. Perfectly matched colors can’t save a game with terrible uniforms and mismatched colors can’t ruin a game with great uniforms. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived