Safeco Field is now T-Mobile Park

TaylorMade

20 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Safeco got such a sweet deal on their original sponsorship, I want to say it was just a couple mil for 20 years. That was before the big boom in stadium sponsorship dollars.

Its pretty insulting to the taxpayers who paid for much of the stadium to deck it out in T Mobile magenta... but then again the Mariners have never hesitated to sell out the community for a few bucks. 

To be fair, the marketing job does one heck of a job polishing this turd of a franchise. The ‘95 Mariners are more revered than probably either of the Marlins actual world championship teams.

How is the color of the sign offensive to tax payers?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Safeco" is nice and pleasant to say. "T-Mobile Park" is not. They're going to need to come up with some kind of nickname.

As a local taxpayer, I don't care. The team is garbage now and will be for the next few years. So while I'm sure the stadium will be rebranded and everything, I won't be at any of the games until there's a team worth paying for.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

People said they wouldn't call "Giants Stadium" Metlife Stadium

Giants Stadium and MetLife Stadium are two different stadiums. Not the same as one stadium with multiple names.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Maybe because you weren’t familiar with Safeco? Since I used to deal with the company on the reg, I always thought of it as corporate. 

Also as time goes on and you get used to it (sadly) some of the names sound less corporate though if you step back, they clearly are. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Maybe because you weren’t familiar with Safeco? Since I used to deal with the company on the reg, I always thought of it as corporate. 

Also as time goes on and you get used to it (sadly) some of the names sound less corporate though if you step back, they clearly are.  

I think the Carrier Dome is the best example of this, or Rich Stadium before it. Others say Wrigley Field, but it's not the same Wrigley, right?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I knew it was a corporate name from the beginning, but you are correct that I didn't know much about the company behind it.  It's possible that might be the reason.  It's kinda of hard to explain.  It's like some names flow better, while others don't, not just with stadium names, but with other stuff, as well.  

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think the Carrier Dome is the best example of this, or Rich Stadium before it. Others say Wrigley Field, but it's not the same Wrigley, right?

Wow! I've never connected the Carrier some to the company! My mind is blown!

After a little visit to wikipedia, the company paid a 2.75 million dollar naming gift.  (The whole dome cost around 28 million).

A bit further down the rabbit hole lead me to find out there's a coast in Antartica said The Walgreen Coast, because the company sponsored Byrd's expedition in 1927.

So maybe there's a Washington Nationals logo somewhere on the bottom of the earth! Lol

But as a Kansas City resident,  the proposed merger of T-Mobile and Sprint (based in KC) had me nervous,  as all that pink fuschia replacing all the Sprint below would be less than aesthetically pleasing.

I still call NRG Stadium Reliant. I cut off the BBVA part of Compass Stadium. I try not to catch myself referring to Lakewood Church's past as Compaq when it will always be the Summit. 

And no corporate names preceding the Astrodome please. Or even the Arena.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

The Great Western Forum. Never knew it was named after a bank.

4 minutes ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

That's a great one!

1 hour ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

And Great American Ball Park. I just thought it was a really good place to catch a game.

11 hours ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

I didn't realise that it was a corporate name at first, either. I thought the name was a way to distinguish that arena from the more famous Forum in Montreal.

On the Mariners' ballpark: I hate the name, but I dig the colour.

Ah! And there's the workaround right there: call it "the Mariners' ballpark".  I think I have said the words "Barclays Center" only a handful of times; in ordinary conversation it is simply "the Nets' arena". 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

15 hours ago, M4One said:

I knew it was a corporate name from the beginning, but you are correct that I didn't know much about the company behind it.  It's possible that might be the reason.  It's kinda of hard to explain.  It's like some names flow better, while others don't, not just with stadium names, but with other stuff, as well.  

This is absolutely true.  Some corporate names (even infamous ones) flow well as stadium names . . . even where the sponsor is so well known that the name is obviously corporate.

Carrier Dome

Enron Field

Safeco Field

Wrigley Field

Heinz Field

Ford Field

Miller Park

Coors Field

United Center

Target Field

Target Center

Ericsson Stadium

13 hours ago, Cosmic said:

And Great American Ball Park. I just thought it was a really good place to catch a game.

Same.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived